Do you know people who'll grab the wrong ball and run with it?

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
Whether conversing in cyberspace or in face-to-face conversation there are people who seem to enjoy misunderstanding what someone has written or said.
They'll take straightforward comments, distort them in their minds, then run with them on levels foreign to the original subjects.
While one solution is to be as clear as you possibly can, when writing or saying something, there still are folks who'll grab the wrong ball and run with it.
Why is this?
...many reasons, perhaps - some unintentional - others deliberate.

Last edited:

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
Pllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Baaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Yes, and I find it wonderful and very interesting, as it shows different people have various ways of perceiving things. I find everyones understanding fascinating, even if it may not be the same as yours. In the end, everyone takes on their own interpretation anyway, so whatever you may say, may not end up clear in another's mind. It's interesting how we all think, and what we take from the moment, isn't it? :D

It's also interesting, how this seems to be most visible in informal places like the Internet such as forums, as you are really just reading words, and you can often associate so many different things with a few words, someone else writes.

Last edited:

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's very interesting, as it shows different people have various ways of perceiving things. I find everyones understanding fascinating, even if it may not be the same as yours. In the end, everyone takes on their own interpretation anyway, so whatever you may say, may not end up clear in another's mind. It's interesting how we all think, and what we take from the moment, isn't it? :D

It's also interesting, how this seems to be most visible in informal places like the Internet such as forums, as you are really just reading words, and you can often associate so many different things with a few words, someone else may write.

...a most thoughtful response; and yes, I SO agree with what you've written here.

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
...a most thoughtful response; and yes, I SO agree with what you've written here.
Oh, now I get it... Ah ha moment, you wanted intellect here...ummm, I better scoot on outta' here...:gone:

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Whether conversing in cyberspace or in face-to-face conversation there are people who seem to enjoy misunderstanding what someone has written or said.
They'll take straightforward comments, distort them in their minds, then run with them on levels foreign to the original subjects.
While one solution is to be as clear as you possible can, when writing or saying something, there still are folks who'll grab the wrong ball and run with it.
Why is this?
...many reasons, perhaps - some unintentional - others deliberate.

I couldn't disagree with you less!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't take my ball or I'm telling my mommy.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I think you are all wrong. What about the taxes?

You all think you know so much. Show me the link.

And you, you who think that green is better. Pffft. What do you know?

This is a time for a good flounce................I am out of here......poooooffff

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine who is a psychologist told me that over 80% of communication is nonverbal. If you consider this, how much communication do we do through phone or email or blog? If we can't literally read each other, it becomes more difficult.

Interesting ....

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
I think you are all wrong. What about the taxes?

You all think you know so much. Show me the link.

And you, you who think that green is better. Pffft. What do you know?

This is a time for a good flounce................I am out of here......poooooffff

Regarding the thoughts expressed in this thread starter, any ball will do. I love both serious and funny responses.
In fact - when reading the above, I sat here laughing out loud!
You - all of you - are something else!!!

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
A friend of mine who is a psychologist told me that over 80% of communication is nonverbal. If you consider this, how much communication do we do through phone or email or blog? If we can't literally read each other, it becomes more difficult.

Interesting ....

...if only we all could be mind readers!!
- or read between the lines.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic, one which most of us have struggled with here at one time or another when posting. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you say, as even the simplest and most well-intentioned response can be misinterpreted to mean the opposite of what you proposed. And when you try to clarify your position, often it leads to creating a wider gulf of misunderstanding.

I think it requires a good number of posts, at least a couple of hundred, until members appreciate where you're coming from. There's a greater degree of acceptance when views are offered from someone you feel you know instead of a person you've recently met, simply because you understand better the person who has been around longer.

But it doesn't matter how many posts you have, or how long you've been here, because at some point, someone's going to grab your ball and shove it down your throat no matter what you say. And it's how you deal with the ensuing gag reflex that matters most in showing how well you communicate.

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
And then, some people will just cover up the ball with an innocent baby...

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
This is an interesting topic, one which most of us have struggled with here at one time or another when posting. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you say, as even the simplest and most well-intentioned response can be misinterpreted to mean the opposite of what you proposed. And when you try to clarify your position, often it leads to creating a wider gulf of misunderstanding.

I think it requires a good number of posts, at least a couple of hundred, until members appreciate where you're coming from. There's a greater degree of acceptance when views are offered from someone you feel you know instead of a person you've recently met, simply because you understand better the person who has been around longer.

But it doesn't matter how many posts you have, or how long you've been here, because at some point, someone's going to grab your ball and shove it down your throat no matter what you say. And it's how you deal with the ensuing gag reflex that matters most in showing how well you communicate.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} -- for Silver King!

Of course, in MY world, people take the ball where I tell 'em to. Period.

;)

lakotagirl

Forgot what I was gonna say
Registered
Reaction score
And when you try to clarify your position, often it leads to creating a wider gulf of misunderstanding.

Yep. I tend to not clarify unless several people take something in a way that I did not intend. Life's just too short to spend time with someone who isn't going to understand where you are coming from.

I'd rather leave them giving me the finger behind my back than waste the time trying to explain my point of view.

That sounds pretty rude - I'm not a nasty person. I just don't waste time with people who look for problems with anything.

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<am still flouncing.......:e2tongue:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. I tend to not clarify unless several people take something in a way that I did not intend. Life's just too short to spend time with someone who isn't going to understand where you are coming from.

I'd rather leave them giving me the finger behind my back than waste the time trying to explain my point of view.

That sounds pretty rude - I'm not a nasty person. I just don't waste time with people who look for problems with anything.
There's a lot to be said about the wisdom of walking away from a discussion, though it can be exceedingly difficult at times. Even when the walls are crumbling and the roof is caving in, I'll stand at the podium and espouse my views even after everyone else has fled the building. I'm stubborn that way. But is it worth it? Hardly ever, as I once again find myself crawling out from the rubble, soiled and dazed and far worse for the wear.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot to be said about the wisdom of walking away from a discussion, though it can be exceedingly difficult at times. Even when the walls are crumbling and the roof is caving in, I'll stand at the podium and espouse my views even after everyone else has fled the building. I'm stubborn that way. But is it worth it? Hardly ever, as I once again find myself crawling out from the rubble, soiled and dazed and far worse for the wear.

I type stuff out, and then delete it before I hit post.

Or not. Sometimes I don't delete until after I've already sent it. ((HUGS))

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Do you need a big hug?