PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration to keep going? Maybe.

Shwebb
05-13-2008, 09:24 PM
I have to share this link with y'all. This story is from one of the local papers. I'll admit my first inclination was a cynical, "Gee. What a sappy story this looks like." Sometimes stories like this serve to make me just feel worse because I'm not dying of something and yet I'm still maybe not a great and positive person in others' lives. That I already don't do enough of . . . something.

But this story is cool, I think. (http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/content.detail/id/503511.html?nav=5002)Just a guy who is doing what he's doing not only for others, but to help himself, too.

Living day to day, local man spreads cheer to all who pass (http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/content.detail/id/503511.html?nav=5002)

writerterri
05-13-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm speechless. We should all learn from this. Really.

Silver King
05-14-2008, 12:53 AM
What a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us, Shwebb. It choked me up a little, but in a good way.

DamaNegra
05-14-2008, 04:58 AM
Heh, there's this guy at my school, the guy who mans the computers. He's not terminal or anything, he's just a very, very sunny person. He always greets you with a wide, wide smile and asks: "how's it doing, buddy? keep it up! great work!" or something equally encouraging, wether he knows who you are or not. Also, when he's not cheerily greeting people, he's whistling like a bird. And he's great at it! It sounds as if the computer room is always full of little birds, which furthers cheers people up.

I admit it, sometimes, when I'm down, I go to the computer room so I can get some of that man's happiness. That never fails :)

Little Red Barn
05-14-2008, 05:23 AM
I loved this story. Thanks, Shwebb!

Maryn
05-14-2008, 05:50 AM
The newspaper can make me cry, and not just over the tragedies that are the news. The basic goodness and decency of people can get to me. (Although why tears are my first reaction I don't know.)

Here's a little snippet that salted my coffee today: A family in our area just lost the second of two teenagers born with a genetic defect which left them wheelchair-bound, without muscle control and eyesight. They kids attended the public school and were mainstreamed as much as possible, although they were unable to participate in the learning experience, as neither could talk by then.

"When she reached high school, Laura spent her time in a vocal music class, surrounded by students and a teacher who embraced her fully, Kathryn [an aide] says.

"It was a small class," she says, "and very comfortable." Her classmates gave Laura a 19th birthday party last spring at the high school.

"She had crushes on boys," Kathryn says, "and they all went with it. They were so good to her."

One of them, Nick Ferrara, now 19 and a student at the Conservatory of Performing Arts at Point Park University in Pittsburgh, got down on one knee and in a beautiful tenor sang 19 Candles, a takeoff on 16 Candles. The rest of the class sang backup.

Ferrara was in that class with Laura for four years. "She opened my eyes to a whole different level of human beauty," he said in an e-mail. Laura and her family "had a free-flowing love that really just radiated out and onto everyone they met."

Diane Abrahamian, the Penfield High teacher of that vocal music class, tears up at the memory. "If you asked me what I am most thankful for in my years of teaching, I would say having Laura in my class. "

"She had no muscle control at all," says senior Clair Ainsworth, 18, "but she would smile when people were singing. It was amazing. If you want proof that music is therapy, this was it."

Maryn, tearing up again