Keep querying after request for exclusive on a partial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
I'm starting to get a headache.

I had a request for a 2 week exclusive on a partial submission. I already had 1 partial and 2 fulls out for consideration, and I nicely explained to Agent X that I would let her know if I received any additional positive correspondence from those 3 agents.

As a matter of good form, should I hold off on sending out more queries until the 2 weeks are up?

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't because an exclusive on a partial doesn't make logical sense. They ask for the exclusive because they are interested and want the time to read and decide. What are they deciding here? To ask for a full? No way.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Like what hammer said, it's pretty strange for an agent to ask for an exclusive on a partial. I'd keep querying.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you agree to the exclusive? If no, then it's cricket. If yes, I'd wait two weeks to the day.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I had a request for a 2 week exclusive on a partial submission. I already had 1 partial and 2 fulls out for consideration

So you couldn't give an "exclusive," clearly. Therefore, you don't have an exclusive agreement, so query as much as you like.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
FOLLOW UP:

So the agent who asked for a 2 week exclusive on my partial has yet to get back to me after 3 weeks. I have another partial request that just came up (yay!). Should I contact the first agent and let her know that I'm submitting to someone else?

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I assume you are telling us that the exclusive is no longer an issue since you sent the partial to the agent and more than two weeks have passed. You might want to send a note (email if they accept) to this agent and politely ask if she has reached a decision--the two week exclsive period is over.

Re the recent request you received for a partial, I would submit it and not advise anyone else. Your doing what you must, and you are not breaking any promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.