Homebound-Critical Liability to Publishers or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Counselor

Registered
Reaction score
I care for disabled family and cannot leave the area to promote (when I am published). I may do local booksignings near home. Will this effect a potential publisher from considering my work? Are there ways to help promote a book from home? I want the book to be sucessful but I do not wish to be in the limelight personally. It is How To Parenting Tips:I am hoping this genre will not illicit fans as a novel might; simply sell to teach people. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, HOPE, all appreciated. Yall Rock..

soma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tinianow.blogspot.com
It won't necessarily hurt you. Some publishers are moving away from having book tours as a matter of course where other modes of publicity might be more efficient. If you absolutely can't go out of town, then making sure you're very web-saavy and willing to be aggressive about publicity out of your home will benefit you.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I totally agree with soma. If your work is good enough for a publishers to want it, I don't think your physical condition will prevent them from making an offer. However, I do believe this is a time for you to zone-in on ways you can promote your work from home.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Some people are doing "virtual booktours" by making guest appearances at popular blogs, websites, message boards, and online chats. Given that your book is about parenting, and there are so many high-traffic online parenting sites, I'd suggest that this approach would be a great fit for you.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I care for disabled family and cannot leave the area to promote (when I am published). I may do local booksignings near home. . . .
Nonfiction is much easier to sell than fiction. People buy it to meet a need, rather than for (optional) entertainment. If you can connect with folks who need what your book offers, then you are well on your way.

Any commercial publisher will be asking about your platform, though. Do you have a large email list of likely book buyers? Regular newspaper column? Anything like that? Without a platform, no matter how good the book, you have no chance with a commercial publisher for a nonfiction book.

BTW, double-check your spelling. Misused sound-alike or easily confused words (elicit, illicit; affect, effect) WILL be noticed by agent or publisher, and not favorably. They are looking for any reason to promptly reject a query or book proposal, as they get far too many to deal with.

Run screaming from any publisher that asks you to pay anything to be published or that in any way focuses its book sales on its authors rather than on the reading, book-buying public.

Learn what is required in queries and book proposals. Make YOUR proposed book stand out. It has to be exceptional. Know the market.

--Ken

Counselor

Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks to every response as each had valuable information for a newbie. I shall consider every suggestion, work hard to learn the profession, continue to hone my skill and seek a more credentialed ally (with a platform). You are all a credit to the universe and I sincerely appreciate your sharing your experience....Counselor

helga

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Maybe it’s too late to answer your question, but here it goes:
I’m in the same boat – looking after my disabled child, so my ‘movements’ outside the area are very restricted. However, my book was accepted and published. (Here it is, if you are interested: http://www.jkp.com/catalogue/book.php/isbn/9781843105862 )
How is it doing? Haven’t got a clue ;o) I have to wait for my first royalty statement (at the end of September)

Good luck

Jackfishwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Wandering between Mexico and the Arctic Circle
Website
www.myspace.com
Hello counselor,
I have a similar problem: I raise a child on my own and have no family support nearby. This really limits what I can do to promote my book.
I have been doing eveything in my power - using the internet, telephone, press releases, etc. without having to leave my home.
Then my publisher says to me: you should look at so-and-so's website & blog (one of their other authors) and get some ideas on promotion - she is a "tour-de-force!"
I was so hurt when my editor said this because so-and-so does not have the limitations I have and she lives in a huge city (I live in a small, remote town). How can I possibly compete with that?
It was very disheartening, but I think my editor realized my situation after I explained what I was up against and she softened up a bit.
Still, publishers are always expecting the author to do more - push the envelope of self-promotion.
The truth is, that doesn't work for all of us.
I feel really uncomfortable marketing myself as a commodity anyway.
But, if no one knows about the book, it's not going to sell.
Depressing stuff!

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
I have to say APPLAUSE APPLAUSE for your commitment to your family. Thanks to the internet and video feeds, etc., there are a myriad of ways to reach audiences. Good luck with your work, and your family :)

cpickett

Registered
Reaction score
Where ever the voices in my head like to be
Website
www.brighterdaypublishing.com
Hi again,
A common theme here is the dislike of/uncomfortable feeling with promotion, the limelight, making yourself a commodity.

First, know that this is very common. However, Jackfish, you hit it right on, no matter what product you have, if you want to sell it, people have to know about it and be encouraged to buy it. It doesn't work any other way whether it's books, candles or computers.

A few other thoughts:

1. If you're in this situation, do you really want to write to sell? It's okay to write just to enjoy it and share with family/friends.

2. Would you feel more comfortable writing some stuff to sell and some stuff just as a creative outlet?

3. If you need to sell and you aren't doing as well as you'd like, can you partner with someone who is stronger at it whether they're local or can help you online/in other locations? You still have to be involved, but that might take some pressure off.

Writing can certainly be considered an art, however, making an income from it is a business no matter what. I hope you'll continue to look at your strengths/comfort zones and keep working to make marketing fit those attributes as best you can.

MitchMauldin

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Cheryl above, you need to mainly ask yourself whether or not your wanting to write to sell or just for the pleasurable purpose of writing. This can be a huge determining factor in where you should focus your writing efforts, in particular those related to the marketing of your books. Book tours provided virtually are a great source of being able to promote your book without having restriction upon your physical location.

Status
Not open for further replies.