PDA

View Full Version : Hung by the arms until dead?

Mike Martyn
05-12-2008, 10:39 PM
I have an MC who gets his wrists tied by the bad guys and is suspended from the rafters with feet off the ground and therefore has no place to rest his weight.

Other than death by hunger or thirst, is this fatal perhaps by slow aphixiation? If so how long would it take? In need a window of time for his rescue.

If he can have hallucinations brought on by hypoxia, that would be good.

Kalyke
05-12-2008, 10:46 PM
It's really a form of crucifixion. The lungs fill up with water. Probably could catch pneumonia. You have to watch the tightness of the ropes and so on too. with out blood circulation, your hands would start to rot. Also the shoulder bones could be dislocated. I'm sure someone else can add to this.

Appalachian Writer
05-12-2008, 10:47 PM
I would think that it would be very much like being crucified. Wouldn't it become increasingly difficult to breathe until you finally suffocated? I'd check that out. I wouldn't imagine it would be difficult to find on the net.

Appalachian Writer
05-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Hey! Use Her Name and I were writing the same thing at the same time! Great minds do think alike. :D

Kalyke
05-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Hey! Use Her Name and I were writing the same thing at the same time! Great minds do think alike. :D

:hi:

HeronW
05-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Crucifixion causes death by inability to exhale, not inhale. A healthy person can take up to 4-5 days to die. Secondary issue would be dehydration which would cause headaches, muscle cramps--also caused by hanging by the wrists--nausea, vomiting and delusions. If carrion birds are around, bolder ones might peck at the soft spots: eyes, cheecks, even before death. Rats climbing down the rope to feed could also be an icky issue.

Jersey Chick
05-12-2008, 11:10 PM
This thread's gettin' gruesome...

Sarpedon
05-12-2008, 11:51 PM
If he's hanging from the rafters, that implies that he's indoors, so death would probably take even longer, as he won't get dehydrated by sun and wind.

GeorgeK
05-13-2008, 12:35 AM
It would be faster if the arms are tied behind the back. If it's normal brachiation motion then the Romans who considered it an appropriate and common means of execution, expected people to last about 3-5 days, a week at the extreme. It's also important to note that if the arms are behind the back, it would not be unusual to cut off the blood supply to the arms and so even if the person was rescued, after about 12-24 hours the necrotic arm tissue would release a horrendous amount of myoglobin into the bloodstream, along with other toxins that would likely result in kidney failure and death in under a week.

Mike Martyn
05-13-2008, 12:46 AM
This thread's gettin' gruesome...

A lot of these threads are gruesome. Oh the things we do to our poor characters!

Appalachian Writer
05-13-2008, 02:08 AM
:hi:
:hi:back at ya!

rtilryarms
05-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Actually, crucifixion lasted 3 – 5 days only because they did not dangle free as the thread-starter says. They had their feet fastened to the crucifix to allow them to lift themselves up. This prolonged the punishment and cruelty of it. In the fight for survival, instinctively we try to live for just one more breath no matter how much we hunger, thirst of suffer.
When the executioners tired of it, or after a court-ordered predetermined time, the executioners took boards to the victims’ shins to shatter them. They died soon after due to asphyxiation.

Smiling Ted
05-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Hanging someone with their arms suspended behind them was a form of torture in Renaissance Italy. Machiavelli was tortured and interrogated this way when the Republic of Florence was dissolved by the Medici (he was an official in the Republican government).

GeorgeK
05-14-2008, 03:30 AM
A lot of these threads are gruesome. Oh the things we do to our poor characters!

yes, we read history texts..........what would authors do if people actually were nice to each other? No offense, just a rant.

Mike Martyn
05-14-2008, 10:00 PM
yes, we read history texts..........what would authors do if people actually were nice to each other? No offense, just a rant.

What would lawyers do if people were nice to each other for that matter.

Thanks everyone for your input.

GeorgeK
05-15-2008, 03:03 AM
What would lawyers do if people were nice to each other for that matter.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Thanks for the laugh

Kathie Freeman
05-15-2008, 09:38 PM
I could be mistaken here, but it seems to me that the notion of hanging by your hands interfering with breathing is a bit problematic. You breathe mostly from your diaphram down, not from your rib cage up. When I was a kid we used to hang and swing by our hands, and never had any problems breathing. I know they say that a lot on TV, but I knd of doubt it.