Can a play's plot seem too unlikely?

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
In my mind, of course, it's a genius idea. But while it comes to me as satire, I worry that the reader/audience will find it hard to get involved, finding it too unlikely or silly. Or not. I need outsuide perspective! Here's the premise (it will be a two-act play):

A church-goer asks his pastor to say a prayer to help him get through his surgical procedure. The pastor forgets, the congregant suffers painful complications, and sues the pastor for "religious malpractice."

It's intended to be a satirical look at what happens when two of our most powerful institutions collide - the church and the law. (I am a lawyer so can get past some of the legal hurdles such a suit would pose in real life.)

Thoughts?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
People have actually sued God for not answering their prayers. See here, for instance.

So, no, it's not too far-fetched for a satirical play.

And a Nebraska state legislator sued God last fall as a satirical publicity stunt.

CDarklock

Yes!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.darklock.com
I worry that the reader/audience will find it hard to get involved, finding it too unlikely or silly.

I think the basic description of your play, when it's performed, will weed out all the people who would dislike it - the audience will self-select into people who don't find the premise too unlikely.

I think it sounds pretty funny. And with real legal expertise behind it, I would look forward to a great many obscure references that only a lawyer or a law geek like myself would understand.

Like on the season finale of Canterbury's Law when they name-checked Gerry Spence. I was just tickled to hear that.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
You may piss off religious extremists, everything does, but this could be a great satire and commentary on faith vs logic.