PDA

View Full Version : The 6 Most Frequently Quoted Bullsh*t Statistics

jst5150
05-12-2008, 10:04 PM
#5. You Only Use 10% of Your Brain

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/lies/brain.jpg
You've heard it since you were a child, and it might have even crept into one of your textbooks: "We only use 10% of our brain! Just think what we'd be capable of if we could tap into the rest!"
The idea that the brain has UNLIMITED POTENTIAL is probably pretty appealing to 2nd grade teachers whose students complain that they can't do ONE MORE math problem. We still remember our teachers happily informing us that we're only using 10% of our brains, so we could do ten more if we wanted. The implication was of course that if we worked hard enough, we'd be able to set fire to the school with the power of our minds.
http://www.cracked.com/article_16241_6-most-frequently-quoted-bullsht-statistics.html

talps
05-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Pretty excellent stuff. I've certainly been vigilant with respect to my spider intake.

Up 'til recently, I also woulda' called BS on the 10% of the brain stat - such conclusions aren't exactly quantifiable. But then came this recent book/story (http://www.newsweek.com/id/136334), which has me reconsidering what wacky things the brain is capable of doing.

I still think the 10% stat is silliness... But this does give me pause.

cray
05-12-2008, 10:17 PM
4 out of 5 dentists would recommend trident gum for their patients who chew gum

eta: i just wanted to say that - i don't know what this thread is about.

jst5150
05-12-2008, 10:22 PM
My favorite statistic ever: "60 percent of the time, it works every time."

maestrowork
05-12-2008, 11:37 PM
I'll give this my 110%.

Bravo
05-13-2008, 12:32 AM
i'm glad someone finally called BS on that brain stat. it annoys the hell out me.

DC tries to say that deathstroke the terminator is so fast because he uses more than 10% of his brain.

makes no sense and just made that time he shot the flash's kneecap totally unbelievable.

xiph
05-13-2008, 01:18 AM
[deleted]

Jcomp
05-13-2008, 01:29 AM
i'm glad someone finally called BS on that brain stat. it annoys the hell out me.

DC tries to say that deathstroke the terminator is so fast because he uses more than 10% of his brain.

makes no sense and just made that time he shot the flash's kneecap totally unbelievable.

I remember being so horribly disappointed when I first found out about the 10% thing being a myth. There went all my dreams of developing psychic powers. Now I'm stuck waiting for nanotech medical advancements that will make me bionic and / or successful development of a fully immersive Brain-Computer-Interface that will allow me to "upgrade" my cognitive abilities and save my consciousness to a hard drive...

jst5150
05-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Yeah, and look at all the political jokes that go r-r-r-r-r-r-r-right out the window!

III
05-13-2008, 01:38 AM
4 out of 5 dentists would recommend trident gum for their patients who chew gum

eta: i just wanted to say that - i don't know what this thread is about.

83% of the time Cray doesn't understand the thread in which he posts.