PDA

View Full Version : Speed Racer

CheriVixen
05-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Wow, what a great ride! The reviews may not have been that great and the irony of big corperations being the bad guy in a movie with a lot of brand name tie-ins is not lost on me but this was what summer movies are about, fun. A movie to see with the kids, cheer on the good guys, and yell at the end "Go, Speed, Go!" :hooray:

Sheryl Nantus
05-12-2008, 07:55 PM
I loved this movie!

I'm already mentally rolling out fanfiction and dying to get a Racer Industries patch... or make up my own...

:D

Seriously - I think a lot of the reviewers forgot that the premise itself is from a campy cartoon. So trying to make it a "serious" movie in their minds is going to fail, guaranteed. It's a fast-paced romp through an alternate universe where physics are just that much different; colors THAT much brighter and darn it... the good guys win!

It's about family, friends and how the little guy can stand up against the big bad companies and win... and THAT'S bad???

and Speed/Trixie are such a cute couple...

*sighs*

btw, Target has a faboo "documentary" on the Racer Family - it's called "Wonderful World of Racing - the Amazing Racer Family" - it's only a half hour but for ten bucks you get a nice faux history of the World Racing League, promos for the show and a bit of back history AND $7.50 off a movie ticket.

and... it's fun!

GO!

CheriVixen
05-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Sheryl, I love your avatar! My nine yr old wore a blue shirt w/ white collar, white pants and begged me to stop at mcdonalds for a happy meal so he could get a red bandana to go with his outfit, before we went to the movie! He was so cute. He never gave up hope.;)

Sheryl Nantus
05-12-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm already planning a second trip.

plus the video game(s) (for DS and Wii)

and... more stuff. Yes, more toys for me!

(and I can't stop playing the music video! Picking that single up and the soundtrack CD ASAP!)

:)

CheriVixen
05-13-2008, 12:42 AM
Getting the wii for fathers day just so we can play this game!
What music video?

Sheryl Nantus
05-13-2008, 12:45 AM
Getting the wii for fathers day just so we can play this game!
What music video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsbOJ6JldHw

you're welcome.

Soccer Mom
05-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Squeeeee! I can't wait to see it this weekend. I don't know who is more excited: My sons or me.

Okay. :D It's me!

Danger Jane
05-13-2008, 01:21 AM
:D I can't wait, taking my sister maybe on Sunday. It's my excuse, too, but hey, I grew up on that show.

Celia Cyanide
05-13-2008, 01:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsbOJ6JldHw

you're welcome.

I like this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AliffgdyOuI

Bourgeois Nerd
05-13-2008, 07:41 AM
Christina Ricci's fivehead kinda bothers me otherwise this might be worth a try.

Shadow_Ferret
05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
The previews alone give me a headache with all the flashing colors making it look like some psychotic video game or a psychedelic version of Tron.

Maybe I'll rent it one day for the kids, but this isn't on my list of "must-sees."

maestrowork
05-13-2008, 06:03 PM
I think it depends on if you like the cartoon series. If you do, chances are you will like the movie. I personally didn't really care for the campy cartoon...

Sheryl Nantus
05-13-2008, 06:45 PM
actually... I never saw the cartoon. Growing up in Canada/Quebec and all that...

it's camp, pure and simple - I think that there was a massive flub in marketing this, to be honest - I hardly saw a commercial for it until just before the opening.

I'd definitely say it was worth a rental, if nothing else... but it's a good romp of cotton candy if you're looking for something light and family-friendly, IMO.

maestrowork
05-13-2008, 06:53 PM
actually... I never saw the cartoon. Growing up in Canada/Quebec and all that...

Chances are you'd like the campy cartoon as well.

Shadow_Ferret
05-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Chances are you'd like the campy cartoon as well.
I didn't view the cartoon as campy, I just viewed it as bad anime. Maybe if I had viewed it as campy, I'd have actually enjoyed it. As it was, it made me cringe.

Alice.S
05-13-2008, 07:12 PM
i've never heard of the cartoon series..or i have, but never seen it...the movie looks good

Sheryl Nantus
05-13-2008, 07:47 PM
actually, I'm not sure why the movie was expected to do so well considering it's basically a very limited audience - anime fans and perhaps some racing fans along the side. And tossing it out on Mother's Day weekend right between "Iron Man" and "Indiana Jones" put it in an impossible spot - I don't know if it was intentional to set them up to fail or what, but I never saw this movie as a serious contender for a summer hit.

I think the big draw was supposed to be the W. brothers and their entire "Matrix" legacy - which means that they basically got a blank check to produce the movie. The money was well-spent, IMO, but I don't see the movie making the money back unless it does very well overseas and in DVD sales. Shame, because it *is* a nice piece of fluff to watch.

:(

Celia Cyanide
05-13-2008, 09:34 PM
I think it depends on if you like the cartoon series. If you do, chances are you will like the movie. I personally didn't really care for the campy cartoon...

No, I never liked it, either. I enjoyed Gatchaman when it was dubbed into Battle Of The Planets, but never liked Mach GoGoGo, or Speed Racer. I did like the techno remix of the theme song, and Sponge's cover, but that was about it.

I'm wondering how the reception of this film is going to effect the future of anime adaptations. There was talk of doing a Gatchaman movie, and if that were done right, I would love to see it. But Speed Racer has always been more well known than Gatchaman aka G-Force. And this film doesn't seem to be doing as well as expected.

Shadow_Ferret
05-13-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm wondering how the reception of this film is going to effect the future of anime adaptations. There was talk of doing a Gatchaman movie, and if that were done right, I would love to see it. But Speed Racer has always been more well known than Gatchaman aka G-Force. And this film doesn't seem to be doing as well as expected.
I'm waiting for Astroboy!

Sheryl Nantus
05-13-2008, 10:22 PM

my hubby and I caught the first B/W episode some months back on CN's Adult Swim.

I think we're still traumatized. The placement of certain "rechargers" was disturbing, to say the least.

:roll:

as for what the future holds? Well, I think that Speed Racer will certainly ramp up the CGI competition for bigger and better effects... the W. brothers may have helped the technology make another giant leap forward.

too bad TPTB didn't put more money into marketing. As I said, I hardly saw anything for the film until it opened. You just can't do that nowadays.

:(

Jcomp
05-13-2008, 10:29 PM
No, I never liked it, either. I enjoyed Gatchaman when it was dubbed into Battle Of The Planets, but never liked Mach GoGoGo, or Speed Racer. I did like the techno remix of the theme song, and Sponge's cover, but that was about it.

I'm expecting it could have a strong impact, because it's turning out to be a financial bomb of epic proportions. It cost at least 100 million to make (not counting marketing costs) and might be lucky to hit 50 million at the end of its theatrical run.

Of course, its impact on anime adaptations could be nullified if next year's live action Dragonball Z movie does big numbers.

childeroland
05-14-2008, 04:48 AM
Someone's making an all-CGI/3D feature.

childeroland
05-14-2008, 04:56 AM
Have you seen the original Gatchaman? How does it compare, quality-wise?

Celia Cyanide
05-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Have you seen the original Gatchaman? How does it compare, quality-wise?

I'm not sure what you mean. I own the entire Gatchaman series. Do you mean, how does the original Gatchaman compare, quality wise, to the new Gatchaman anime from the 90's, or to Mach GoGoGo?

childeroland
05-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Sorry. I mean the original Gatchaman to the 70's Battle of the Planets re-version.

Sheryl Nantus
05-23-2008, 09:01 PM
for those looking for a fun weekend movie - here's a trio of fun trailers to get you into the Speed Racer mode!

http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/34341/speed-racer/videos/spdracr_racerx_042908.html

http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/34341/speed-racer/videos/spdracr_cars_042908.html

http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/34341/speed-racer/videos/spdracr_speed_042908.html

Soccer Mom
05-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Okay, I loved Speed Racer. There were a lot of little in-jokes if you were a big fan of the original cartoon, which I was. Speed was my first crush. :happy sigh:

And I loved Battle of the Planets and that other one they showed after it...Starblazers? Was that the name? I remember the theme song:

We're off in outer space
Protecting mother Earth
To save the human race...
Our Star Blazers!

I need a life.