Un-fan letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all

I just received an un-fan letter in the mail and it was really nasty. It actually sounded like the person was envious that I was published and maybe she wasn't. There was no signature or return address so I just tore it up as to me it is 'garbage.' Why people send things like that is beyond me... I only try to make others happy with my writing, so that was a real eye opener and not a welcomed one. What can ya do. Has anyone else received one? Just wondered.

warm regards, susie

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Yep, though through email and not mail. Lots of really nasty things. If someone disagrees with something I wrote in a polite manner, I will respond thanking them for their time and maybe addressing the issues (though doubtful). If they are rude, it gets deleted unread. Ignoring them is the best response. For one, it leaves them wondering if you even got it. For another, you don't want to reward that sort of behavior.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I would be concerned how they got your home slow mail address. It might be someone you know...otherwise how could they know where you live?

And I agree that ignore is the way to go with that kind of input. It serves no purpose at all.:Sun: (here's a hug for you....(((((((you))))))

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Will, I was just looking at your pic. Are you retaining water? Look a little puffy around the eyes. Or maybe you should check out the South Beach diet.

Signed,

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Susie, I think you might be on the right track about that jealousy thing. Why do some people put others down? From my experience, it's usually because they're insecure about themselves in some way and feel they must try to make themselves seem "bigger" by belittling someone else. This is not your problem. It's theirs. Nuff said.

There's definitely a difference, IMO, between critical comments that are intended to help someone as a writer and "insults" that are meant to hurt someone as a person.

Hang in there, Susie. I think you're a good writer and a good person. :)

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
in all seriousness, i would be most concerned as to how this person got your home address.

hang on to the letter as evidence should any other shenanigans occur. postmarks can narrow down sender's location, and (worst case scenario) fingerprints can be lifted from paper.

aside from that, i'd try not to worry about it and i certainly wouldn't expend the mental energy trying to understand why people act the way they do.

humanity, in the larger cosmic sense, is scum.

good people are the exception, not the rule.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The world is comprised of do'ers, do'ees, and do'nuttins. The Do'ees are self-appointed critics and they FAR outweigh the do'ers. The do-nuttins seem to outnumber both the do'ers and do-ees and are, for the most part, benign.

Now, of those do'ees, there's something called the 5%'ers. This means that 5% of the do'ees create 95% of all jealousy, hate and disconent. You just encountered one of the 5%'ers. In the grand scheme of things, those folk are insignificant, so don't lose any sleep over him/her. :Thumbs:

As an aside, consider Will and Wendy's advice to hang onto the envelope and letter. There's always the possibility (be it remote) that you have encountered a potential stalker. And don't freak. People in the public eye get all kinds of weird mail, threats, etc,. and a small percentage ever encountered actual problems. Nevertheless, it pays to be observant.

Last edited:

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
How dispicable and cowardly. If someone's going to send hate mail, at least have the guts to sign a name to it.

Sheesh.

Susie, I'm sorry you got such a nasty piece of mail. All I can say is all things come back threefold. Whoever sent that to you is due for some bad karma.

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, all. You gave me a chuckle, you made me feel better and most of all I'm glad you're all so nice! Hope you're having a really great day and no nasty anythings.

Warm regards, Susie:)

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
it's usually because they're insecure about themselves in some way and feel they must try to make themselves seem "bigger" by belittling someone else.

The quote above is exactly what it's all about. Forget about it. The way I would view it is you obviously are doing something good that this person only wish they could do. So, to hide their low self esteem, they try to bring others down, who they feel inferior to.

Celeste

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
Well look at a website.

:hi: I found out that I had my address on a website that I had built under PublishAmerica. I also had a online thing on another site supposedly promoting my book. I got some very nasty emails and letters. I had one threaten to show up at my house and smack me. That one got the attention of my neighbor who is a Federal Agent. I am not that worried but I do have cameras around my house. If they feel like going past my eight dogs, a thirty-eight and my husband's .280 show up. But somehow the camera with video and audio will stop them first. We did trace one guy to Gitmo Prison and he is being dealt with. But you know you can always file a complaint with the Postal Inspector and show him the letter if it distrurbs you.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Name

William Haskins said:
in all seriousness, i would be most concerned as to how this person got your home address.

hang on to the letter as evidence should any other shenanigans occur. postmarks can narrow down sender's location, and (worst case scenario) fingerprints can be lifted from paper.

aside from that, i'd try not to worry about it and i certainly wouldn't expend the mental energy trying to understand why people act the way they do.

humanity, in the larger cosmic sense, is scum.

good people are the exception, not the rule.

If you know someone's real name, and the state they live in, it takes about five seconds to get their address online. If they have a phone in their name, you don't even have to know what you're doing to find their address. And far more often than not, if you have an e-mail address for them, getting their home address is a snap.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Rejoice. It means you're now famous enough for people to send you hate mail. You're in the company of authors and celebs such as Stephen King and Paris Hilton. ;)

I got my first un-fan mail a while back. The guy couldn't even write a complete sentence or spell correctly, and he called me the worst writer in the world. I just chuckled and discarded his mail. It just meant I was so damn good that he had to be so damn jealous about it to send me hate mail.

;)

Cabria

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds horrible Susie. It seems like there are some people who just take sheer delight in raining on other people's parades. Aww, the heck with 'em! The "little green monster of jealousy" is most likely the case!

Debbie

;)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have had a couple through email. I would be inclined to file paper hatemail away somewhere, just in case. But if that's the end of it, no worries. Focus on the positive!

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all,

Most appreciative of your kind posts. Means a lot to me. She got my home addy 'cause the mag. had once printed it, unfortunately. I'm just hoping that's the last I hear from her. Since I don't even have any stories in mags. right now, I don't even know what she's referring to. It must be from a long time ago...

Hope you all only get fan letters and acceptance checks!

warm regards, Susie:)

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
It's too bad she didn't sign or anything. I have the joy of writing a column every two weeks about foreign films. And you know how cult film fans can be. Heaven forbid you say one thing isn't perfect or get the tiniest of facts incorrect -- you will hear about it.

Fortunately this has all been by e-mail and I generally take the time to write back even the most illiterate of my detractors. Usually with some back and forth discussion all can be figured out. I've had a lot of difficult friends in my time so I don't mind dealing with difficult people. But it's gotten to the point that I'm afraid to open e-mails because I don't know if they are going to be positive or negative! But yeah, it's too bad you can't write her back.

People don't snail mail me at my address because I move once a year! Moving is no fun, it just happens that way, but it generally keeps my current address off the internet -- and keeps those collection companies guessing!

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
It kinda ruins your day to get something like that. But when we do, we should try to have a laugh (and take a few precautions) and then move on.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I used to write a weekly column for the Sunday newspaper, and I would regularly get hate mail. You get used to it. I figured it indicated that at least someone other than my mother was reading it. Or wait, maybe those letters were from my mom. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.