PDA

View Full Version : Got Scenewriter Pro?

mario_c
05-12-2008, 06:31 AM
I started with this and have been pretty underwhelmed. It has a lot of weird quirks: for example, to cut/paste you have to open Wordpad. What the-?
Also you keep having to do that ctrl+tab (Save Changes) thing before you save. And if you don't, if you just click the alert and save and move on, it does something weird like turn the block of dialogue you're working on into a CHARACTER. And you have to hit esc and grab the pulldown box to fix it.
It has a weird setup too, where each scene is a separate window. Not on one scrollable, easy to sweep page like celtx, nonono. I almost got the hang of making new scenes, doing shift+enter, but it's still awkward to have ten slugs on ten pages. And don't leave the cursor on the slug when you hit save - oh fug here we go again!
I could go on about the bugs, and did I mention it's $35? I'm porting my new projects to celtx, which blows this out of the water in every department: navigating and organizing scenes, flow between dialogue and elements, backing up to the server?! I recently bought iWork (I use both windows and mac) and Pages has a screenplay template I might dig into.
I've complained to the SWP helpdesk and got no response, not a WTF or apology or nothing. Guess the programmers who make up the company have moved on, and so have I.

KatYares
05-12-2008, 07:43 AM
I paid 10 dollars for my copy when it first came out - I rarely use it, but I do have it installed. But, I haven't noticed all the bugs you are talking about. But, then again, I never tried to cut and paste into it - mostly did imports.

Oh and it's only 20.00 at least the last time I looked.

mario_c
05-13-2008, 07:01 AM
Hmm, my misnomer on the price. Appreciated. (But my other criticisms I stand by.)

alleycat
05-13-2008, 07:18 AM
I tried it two or three years ago; I didn't have too much problem with the software itself, but, like you, I found it somewhat unnatural to use. I may not have used it enough to even notice any software bugs. I have since gone with Movie Magic and I've happy with it.

mario_c
05-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Cool. How does MovieMagic compare to, say, celtx or FinalDraft?

alleycat
05-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Cool. How does MovieMagic compare to, say, celtx or FinalDraft?
MovieMagic and FinalDraft are considered about equal. Some people like MM better; others like FD better. Both MM and FD are a little pricey, so that keeps some people from buying either until they get serious.

I've never used celtx, so I don't have an opinion on it. I've heard it's okay, particular for just starting out.