We're talking Hockey.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
See, I was pulling for the Wings...'til Osgood decided to become a total jackass. What the hell was he thinking?

Yeah, I hated how he grabbed Ribeiro's stick like that and smashed it into his own chest. :rolleyes:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Yeah, I hated how he grabbed Ribeiro's stick like that and smashed it into his own chest. :rolleyes:
You're a small dog. You probably missed Osgood butt-ending Ribeiro in the throat, moments before.

And how 'bout Osgood's dive, after the slash to the chest protector? He was down for what, two minutes? The pain must have been unbearable.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
You're a small dog. You probably missed Osgood butt-ending Ribeiro in the throat, moments before.

And how 'bout Osgood's dive, after the slash to the chest protector? He was down for what, two minutes? The pain must have been unbearable.

Unintentional. He was moving over to protect Lidstrom from the two goons who were threatening him. Besides, it was the chin. Not the throat. And how about the non-called punch to Draper's face minutes earlier? That was clean, I suppose.

As for the flop injury? Um. He was just protecting the ice, is all.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
sinz.jpg

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Unintentional. He was moving over to protect Lidstrom from the two goons who were threatening him.
:ROFL:

Unintentional? Riiiiiight...

Besides, it was the chin. Not the throat.
Osgood has never been particularly sharp with the stick.
And how about the non-called punch to Draper's face minutes earlier? That was clean, I suppose.
Butt-end attacks are pretty much the biggest no-no among players. Osgood knew what he was doing. And it ticks me off because I LIKE him. I LIKE the Wings.
As for the flop injury? Um. He was just protecting the ice, is all.
You know who he reminded me of in this incident? Eric Lindros. And that's no compliment. You remember Lindros' game: take every cheap shot you have an opening for, then flop like a bean bag when someone retaliates, then whine like a baby about it to the refs and to the media. Weak.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

Unintentional? Riiiiiight...

Osgood has never been particularly sharp with the stick.Butt-end attacks are pretty much the biggest no-no among players. Osgood knew what he was doing. And it ticks me off because I LIKE him. I LIKE the Wings.
You know who he reminded me of in this incident? Eric Lindros. And that's no compliment. You remember Lindros' game: take every cheap shot you have an opening for, then flop like a bean bag when someone retaliates, then whine like a baby about it to the refs and to the media. Weak.

I'll grant you the flop.

But the thing about Ozzie--especially if you've watched him for years as I have--he is the furthest thing from a dirty player. I've never seen him take a cheap shot. I have seen him react to a cheap shot. But he doesn't even have to do that often. He has pretty good defensemen to take care of that.

You know what? I think Ribeiro did think he got butt-ended. I don't think he would have responded the way he did otherwise. But I've watched the replays too and I just don't see it the same way you do. Maybe Ozzie's history comes into play with that observation. Maybe I'm just being a homer. I don't know. But I don't see it the same way you do. And two Stars were moving on Lidstrom. And you still haven't addressed the mauling of Draper minutes earlier.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'll grant you the flop.

But the thing about Ozzie--especially if you've watched him for years as I have--he is the furthest thing from a dirty player.
I agree. That's why I'm pissed at him. FWIW, I go way back with the Wings. Constantinov was my favorite. That tragedy still haunts me.
You know what? I think Ribeiro did think he got butt-ended.
He's not a dirty player, either. Not by a long shot. He was being held back, and he still took a swing--he was way pissed.
And you still haven't addressed the mauling of Draper minutes earlier.
Draper tackled Ott and the puck in the face-off at center ice, to try and freeze the play. Good move? Maybe. But the Stars players took exception. The refs could have called a penalty on the Stars, but they didn't. Regardless, that's the kind of thing that can be settled on ice. But stick work--especially with the butt-end--is a different animal. Again, Osgood knows this. He was sweating bullets, today, I am sure. He lucked out that he only got fined (as did Ribeiro). Of course, that's the league covering their butts--can't have Osgood out. Ribeiro got a match penalty for that slash. Have you ever seen the league not uphold at least a one-game suspension for a slashing major/match like this? But they knew--from the video--that they couldn't suspend Ribeiro without suspending Osgood, too. Personally, I think they both should have gotten two games.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I didn't see the butt-end on Ribiero. I saw a replay just now, when Ribiero skated past Osgoode, and Ozzie stuck out his stick and it brushed against Ribby as he skated by. Was that the butt-end?

Yes, Ozzie went down rather dramatically after the swing at his chest pads.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I didn't see the butt-end on Ribiero. I saw a replay just now, when Ribiero skated past Osgoode, and Ozzie stuck out his stick and it brushed against Ribby as he skated by. Was that the butt-end?
Yes. Osgood--from my perspective--jabbed at Ribiero. And since the league has fined Osgood, I think it safe to say that it concurs. That's a way dangerous thing to do. Ribeiro wasn't watching for it and he could have easily taken it hard , under the chin or on the throat.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Osgood--from my perspective--jabbed at Ribiero. And since the league has fined Osgood, I think it safe to say that it concurs. That's a way dangerous thing to do. Ribeiro wasn't watching for it and he could have easily taken it hard , under the chin or on the throat.

Like Chumplet, I saw a brush, not a jab. But it doesn't matter. Like you say, the league has spoken. Frankly, I'm glad they'll both be playing. I expect the rest of the series to be just as intense.

Are we in the pRon forum yet?