PDA

View Full Version : We're talking Hockey.

Soccer Mom
05-11-2008, 05:37 AM
And everybody wins?

Haggis
05-11-2008, 05:54 AM
And everybody wins?

Apparently, not everybody. :(

Haggis
05-11-2008, 06:27 AM
Don't you have some innocent octopi to abuse?

Well, let's see. We've abused some Stars tonight. We've abused some Magic tonight.

I think we're doing fine.

Shut up, Talp.

robeiae
05-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Well, let's see. We've abused some Stars tonight.
See, I was pulling for the Wings...'til Osgood decided to become a total jackass. What the hell was he thinking?

Haggis
05-11-2008, 06:41 PM
See, I was pulling for the Wings...'til Osgood decided to become a total jackass. What the hell was he thinking?

Yeah, I hated how he grabbed Ribeiro's stick like that and smashed it into his own chest. :rolleyes:

robeiae
05-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I hated how he grabbed Ribeiro's stick like that and smashed it into his own chest. :rolleyes:
You're a small dog. You probably missed Osgood butt-ending Ribeiro in the throat, moments before.

And how 'bout Osgood's dive, after the slash to the chest protector? He was down for what, two minutes? The pain must have been unbearable.

Haggis
05-11-2008, 07:28 PM
You're a small dog. You probably missed Osgood butt-ending Ribeiro in the throat, moments before.

And how 'bout Osgood's dive, after the slash to the chest protector? He was down for what, two minutes? The pain must have been unbearable.

Unintentional. He was moving over to protect Lidstrom from the two goons who were threatening him. Besides, it was the chin. Not the throat. And how about the non-called punch to Draper's face minutes earlier? That was clean, I suppose.

As for the flop injury? Um. He was just protecting the ice, is all.

Rolling Thunder
05-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Hockey pucks.

Haggis
05-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Hockey pucks.

Exactly.

Haggis
05-11-2008, 08:11 PM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o15/Damnhaggis/sinz.jpg

robeiae
05-12-2008, 03:35 AM
Unintentional. He was moving over to protect Lidstrom from the two goons who were threatening him.:ROFL:

Unintentional? Riiiiiight...

Besides, it was the chin. Not the throat. Osgood has never been particularly sharp with the stick.
And how about the non-called punch to Draper's face minutes earlier? That was clean, I suppose.Butt-end attacks are pretty much the biggest no-no among players. Osgood knew what he was doing. And it ticks me off because I LIKE him. I LIKE the Wings.

As for the flop injury? Um. He was just protecting the ice, is all.You know who he reminded me of in this incident? Eric Lindros. And that's no compliment. You remember Lindros' game: take every cheap shot you have an opening for, then flop like a bean bag when someone retaliates, then whine like a baby about it to the refs and to the media. Weak.

Haggis
05-12-2008, 04:04 AM
:ROFL:

Unintentional? Riiiiiight...

Osgood has never been particularly sharp with the stick.Butt-end attacks are pretty much the biggest no-no among players. Osgood knew what he was doing. And it ticks me off because I LIKE him. I LIKE the Wings.
You know who he reminded me of in this incident? Eric Lindros. And that's no compliment. You remember Lindros' game: take every cheap shot you have an opening for, then flop like a bean bag when someone retaliates, then whine like a baby about it to the refs and to the media. Weak.

I'll grant you the flop.

But the thing about Ozzie--especially if you've watched him for years as I have--he is the furthest thing from a dirty player. I've never seen him take a cheap shot. I have seen him react to a cheap shot. But he doesn't even have to do that often. He has pretty good defensemen to take care of that.

You know what? I think Ribeiro did think he got butt-ended. I don't think he would have responded the way he did otherwise. But I've watched the replays too and I just don't see it the same way you do. Maybe Ozzie's history comes into play with that observation. Maybe I'm just being a homer. I don't know. But I don't see it the same way you do. And two Stars were moving on Lidstrom. And you still haven't addressed the mauling of Draper minutes earlier.

robeiae
05-12-2008, 04:14 AM
I'll grant you the flop.

But the thing about Ozzie--especially if you've watched him for years as I have--he is the furthest thing from a dirty player.I agree. That's why I'm pissed at him. FWIW, I go way back with the Wings. Constantinov was my favorite. That tragedy still haunts me.

You know what? I think Ribeiro did think he got butt-ended.He's not a dirty player, either. Not by a long shot. He was being held back, and he still took a swing--he was way pissed.
And you still haven't addressed the mauling of Draper minutes earlier.Draper tackled Ott and the puck in the face-off at center ice, to try and freeze the play. Good move? Maybe. But the Stars players took exception. The refs could have called a penalty on the Stars, but they didn't. Regardless, that's the kind of thing that can be settled on ice. But stick work--especially with the butt-end--is a different animal. Again, Osgood knows this. He was sweating bullets, today, I am sure. He lucked out that he only got fined (as did Ribeiro). Of course, that's the league covering their butts--can't have Osgood out. Ribeiro got a match penalty for that slash. Have you ever seen the league not uphold at least a one-game suspension for a slashing major/match like this? But they knew--from the video--that they couldn't suspend Ribeiro without suspending Osgood, too. Personally, I think they both should have gotten two games.

robeiae
05-12-2008, 04:32 AM
*looks around*

Where am I? What is this place?

*shivers in fear*

Mommy!

Rolling Thunder
05-12-2008, 04:38 AM
There, there, Rob. The Zamboni didn't hit you that hard...

Haggis
05-12-2008, 04:38 AM
*looks around*

Where am I? What is this place?

*shivers in fear*

Mommy!

Hold me, Rob. I'm frightened.

Chumplet
05-12-2008, 04:39 AM
I didn't see the butt-end on Ribiero. I saw a replay just now, when Ribiero skated past Osgoode, and Ozzie stuck out his stick and it brushed against Ribby as he skated by. Was that the butt-end?

Yes, Ozzie went down rather dramatically after the swing at his chest pads.

robeiae
05-12-2008, 04:39 AM
Hold me, Rob. I'm frightened.Watch it. They'll port us to erotica, next...

Haggis
05-12-2008, 04:40 AM
Watch it. They'll port us to erotica, next...

Let's talk dirty and see if they do.

Chumplet
05-12-2008, 04:41 AM
Puck you.

Chumplet
05-12-2008, 04:42 AM
Five hole?

robeiae
05-12-2008, 04:42 AM
I didn't see the butt-end on Ribiero. I saw a replay just now, when Ribiero skated past Osgoode, and Ozzie stuck out his stick and it brushed against Ribby as he skated by. Was that the butt-end?
Yes. Osgood--from my perspective--jabbed at Ribiero. And since the league has fined Osgood, I think it safe to say that it concurs. That's a way dangerous thing to do. Ribeiro wasn't watching for it and he could have easily taken it hard , under the chin or on the throat.

Chumplet
05-12-2008, 04:44 AM
I guess the slow-mo affected my judgment. Heh.

robeiae
05-12-2008, 04:49 AM
That or the boiler-makers...

;)

Haggis
05-12-2008, 04:50 AM
Yes. Osgood--from my perspective--jabbed at Ribiero. And since the league has fined Osgood, I think it safe to say that it concurs. That's a way dangerous thing to do. Ribeiro wasn't watching for it and he could have easily taken it hard , under the chin or on the throat.

Like Chumplet, I saw a brush, not a jab. But it doesn't matter. Like you say, the league has spoken. Frankly, I'm glad they'll both be playing. I expect the rest of the series to be just as intense.

Are we in the pRon forum yet?

Chumplet
05-12-2008, 04:55 AM
That or the boiler-makers...

;)

Rye and Ginger.

robeiae
05-12-2008, 04:56 AM
I prefer Ginger and Mary Ann.

Haggis
05-12-2008, 05:00 AM
I prefer Ginger and Mary Ann.

I heard you liked Mary Jane.

Chumplet
05-12-2008, 05:48 AM
I knew you were going to say that. I should have played the Gilligan's Island exemption card.

Haggis
05-13-2008, 04:38 AM
FWIW.

I've studied and restudied the film.

I've called in experts from all over the hockey world.

I had a few Molson's.

And I have reached a new conclusion: Ozzie did know what he was doing.

BUT. He didn't butt the stick. He left it out there for Ribiero to run into.

On his part, Ribiero made sure his slash did not hit Ozzie in the head or neck, but caught his pads instead.

Neither man tried to actually damage the other.

Ozzie flopped. But I agreed to that earlier.

Both players were wrong. Both were fined. The league made the right decision.

On with the game.

Currently Wings 1, Stars zip.

Correction. 1 - 1.

Let's get it on.

Correction. 2 - 1.

C.bronco
05-13-2008, 04:44 AM
There are no cars in hockey. What's the point?

Haggis
05-13-2008, 04:47 AM

*sightm*

Haggis
05-13-2008, 05:28 AM
3 - 2 Stars. Wings.

Exciting game.

Stars on power play.

There's ice involved.

Most of you wouldn't understand.

edited because...just because.

C.bronco
05-13-2008, 05:30 AM
Well, Jr. is still in third in the points lead.
http://autoracingsport.com/wp-content/uploads/nascar/earnhardtjr_headshot.jpg

Haggis
05-13-2008, 06:03 AM
Early third period. Wings up 4 - 2. Junior is in the penalty box for a game misconduct.

Soccer Mom
05-13-2008, 06:38 AM
Well, Jr. is still in third in the points lead.
http://autoracingsport.com/wp-content/uploads/nascar/earnhardtjr_headshot.jpg

And Jeff is in the top 12 now. Just a few more good weeks and I can breathe a sigh of relief.

Haggis
05-13-2008, 06:43 AM
And Jeff is in the top 12 now. Just a few more good weeks and I can breathe a sigh of relief.

Perhaps. But the hockey game is over, eh?

Soccer Mom
05-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Oh yeah. The season is over. The rest is a formality. 3-0?

It was a beautiful dream.

sigh.tm

Haggis
05-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Oh yeah. The season is over. The rest is a formality. 3-0?

It was a beautiful dream.

sigh.tm

It was a good game. And comebacks have happened before. In any event, I do think we're gonna have a good long-term rivalry out of this.

I'm kinda expecting your guys to take the next one.

Bubastes
05-13-2008, 06:50 AM
That would be a good excuse for an AW get-together, don't you think?

talps
05-13-2008, 06:53 AM
So which hockey thread are we supposed to keep alive - the Predictions thread, or the one where we also get to talk about Ginger & Maryann?

Wings look sharp, Haggis. Real sharp.

And take heart, Stars fans... as a Red Sox fan, I'm well-versed in what's possible after falling behind 3-0 in a series!

Haggis
05-13-2008, 06:56 AM
So which hockey thread are we supposed to keep alive - the Predictions thread, or the one where we also get to talk about Ginger & Maryann?

Wings look sharp, Haggis. Real sharp.

And take heart, Stars fans... as a Red Sox fan, I'm well-versed in what's possible after falling behind 3-0 in a series!

Actually, talps, the Stars played well too. Only a couple of lapses. But those lapses killed them.

Haggis
05-13-2008, 06:57 AM
That would be a good excuse for an AW get-together, don't you think?

I don't know if I'd trust Soccer Mom with a hockey stick in her hands.

talps
05-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Actually, talps, the Stars played well too. Only a couple of lapses. But those lapses killed them.

Which makes the Wings look all the more impressive, no? I confess - I was mostly watching the basketball tonight, but I switched often to the hockey game, and it just looked like the Wings were taking punches & givin' 'em back - particularly the goal they scored seconds after the Stars got on the board. That there is a strong statement this time of the year - a team not content to try to steal one on the road up 2-0, but bent on putting the hammer down.

Soccer Mom
05-13-2008, 07:21 AM
I don't know if I'd trust Soccer Mom with a hockey stick in her hands.

First, the Wings looked damn good. Stars are a good team and the Wings were always in control.

Second, I'm a soccer player. :D We don't need no stinkin' weapons to do serious injury. And pads are for sissies.

robeiae
05-13-2008, 03:28 PM
It was a good game. And comebacks have happened before. In any event, I do think we're gonna have a good long-term rivalry out of this.

I'm kinda expecting your guys to take the next one.
You don't understand trash talking at all, do you?

poetinahat
05-13-2008, 04:19 PM

I heard he made up points in the parking competition when Junior* got sideswiped by a shopping trolley.

*: Pick one.

:D

C.bronco
05-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Mr. In A Hat jests. ;)
oh hai Soccer Mom. I makeded this 4 u:
http://ritaren.tripod.com/images/gordon.jpg

Haggis
05-13-2008, 04:41 PM
You don't understand trash talking at all, do you?

Shhh. I'm lulling them into a false sense of confidence.

Rolling Thunder
05-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Should I prune off the irrelevant car posts or does someone want to start a 'We're talking NASCAR' thread? :)

C.bronco
05-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Oh, no, leave them in. Our drivers have all of their teeth!

Haggis
05-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Why bother? They'd be irrelevant wherever you put them.

poetinahat
05-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Should I prune off the irrelevant car posts
You just don't understand derails, do ya?

Step awaaaaay from the shears!

or does someone want to start a 'We're talking NASCAR' thread? :)
*shudder*
http://7.content.bustedtees.com/d1/bt/8/e/bustedtees.8ac6e998c84675047b31a52e55dae8f0.jpg

:D

C.bronco
05-14-2008, 08:52 PM
May 16th is the official Nascar Day...

Haggis
05-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Round and round and round and round in circles. Sure sounds exciting to me. :sleepy:

Soccer Mom
05-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Um, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to live in Detroit and dis NASCAR.

Friday IS NASCAR day! Whoo Hoo! Since I work for the government, that should mean I can show up in dirty jeans, a Jeff Gordon shirt, and flip flops, right?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh YYYYYYYYYYYYeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

C.bronco
05-14-2008, 09:08 PM
I hope my new Junior cap arrives in time! :D

Haggis
05-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Um, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to live in Detroit and dis NASCAR.

Citation, please.

Gotta watch these lawyers all the time...always trying to slip something in on ya.

talps
05-14-2008, 11:02 PM
If NASCAR decides to try racing on ice, I might tune in.

But I doubt it. :D

Just kiddin', car fans!

Very little drama in the Quest For The Cup right now. Anyone else thing this is gonna change when the two juggernauts who are a combined 22-3 in the playoffs meet up?

Could be a helluva a clash...

robeiae
05-15-2008, 02:17 AM
I hope my new Junior cap arrives in time! :D
Soon, you'll be old enough to get an adult one.

cletus
05-15-2008, 03:36 PM
http://driving.information.in.th/images/thai-no-right-turn.jpg

poetinahat
05-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Citation, please.

Dude. You make the strangest requests.

http://www.ericstoffers.com/transportation/art/1984-chevy-citation.jpg

C.bronco
05-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Soon, you'll be old enough to get an adult one.
Sadly, that isn't true. I have a small head. I can wear child-size hats and glasses. (See profile picture for visual confirmation).

Chumplet
06-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Switching back to hockey:

I just saw the Leafs beat the Wings in 5 games for the Stanley Cup. Our Leafs TV channel showed the Stanley Cup final game from 1963 with the likes of Tim Horton, Gordie Howe, John Ferguson and others.

Games back then had a whole different atmosphere. The respect between opponents, while grudging, was more prevalent.

In the dying moments, with Toronto ahead of Detroit by one goal, things got heated up in the crease. Howe got tangled up with Johnny Bower, getting his skate caught up in the goalie's pads. Bower went down hard and after an embarrassed smile he got back to his knees.

Howe skated over and gave Bower a friendly tap on the pads. You rarely see that stuff today.

After the Cup was won, the on-ice interviews included both the winners and losers. Mr. Hockey stood arm in arm with Bower and they each held the microphone to exchange kudos to each other. It looked like a big party for both teams. No bowed heads, no tears, no quick exit to the dressing room for the Wings.

The footage between periods included a piece on five-year-old Mark Howe. He provided a wink at the end of the segment. Cool stuff.

WerenCole
11-30-2008, 10:53 PM
For all you Wings fans in this thread, I just thought I would point out what happened in Boston last night.

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/Article.php?ArtID=605671

(Note the byline. . . yup, that is me.)

Haggis
11-30-2008, 11:32 PM
For all you Wings fans in this thread, I just thought I would point out what happened in Boston last night.

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/Article.php?ArtID=605671

(Note the byline. . . yup, that is me.)

Talk to me during the playoffs, you homer, you. :D

aka eraser
11-30-2008, 11:44 PM
The Bruins are definitely one of the surprise teams in the early going this year. There's LOTS of time for them to tumble back to reality though. ;)

Haggis
11-30-2008, 11:50 PM
The Bruins are definitely one of the surprise teams in the early going this year. There's LOTS of time for them to tumble back to reality though. ;)

They've done very well. So far. But you know how crazy they get in Beantown, Frank. They're already lining up for a look at the Stanley Cup.

mscelina
11-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Hockey??? Is that a sport?

Oh yeah--it's that thing that's kind of like curling.

WerenCole
12-01-2008, 12:59 AM

I am no homer. . . I am a journalist. We are not allowed to be fans. That being said, it is a much easier story time when they are winning.

WerenCole
12-01-2008, 01:00 AM

This is true. . . but I don't see the Leafs deciding that they are any good any time soon. . . sorry, my friend.

WerenCole
12-01-2008, 01:01 AM

I bet you are also upset by that headline my editor put on my story. Sorry about that, it is out of my hands.

aka eraser
12-01-2008, 03:32 AM
This is true. . . but I don't see the Leafs deciding that they are any good any time soon. . . sorry, my friend.

My Toronto allegiances are restricted to the Raptors and Blue Jays (and the latter only because the Expos are toast). My hockey heart has been beating bleu, blanc et rouge since 1960.

Go Habs Go!!

Chumplet
12-01-2008, 03:36 AM
I'm a closet Habs fan, too. But I have no choice but to watch the Buds.

Haggis
12-01-2008, 03:47 AM
I bet you are also upset by that headline my editor put on my story. Sorry about that, it is out of my hands.

I'm not upset about anything. But I'll take back what i said about you being a homer. The article was fine and simply reported what happened.

Of course, your editor's a homer. :)

WerenCole
12-01-2008, 11:41 PM
He's actually a Sabres fan (or was) but we do cater to Bruins fans, so it is the type of headline they like to see.

Haggis
12-01-2008, 11:59 PM
He's actually a Sabres fan (or was) but we do cater to Bruins fans, so it is the type of headline they like to see.

Honestly, I think that is expected in any community where they are reporting on their own sports team. If you want to sell papers, you have to give the customer what he wants.

KTC
12-02-2008, 12:02 AM
My hockey heart has been beating bleu, blanc et rouge since 1960.

I was a little late to the party, but mine has been beating for the Habs since 1966.

Chumplet
04-01-2009, 05:32 AM
Well, the son of a Hanson Brother. I just found out today the Leafs signed Christian Hanson, son of Dave Hanson from the movie Slapshot. Fer real. Except the son has talent, apparently.

Here's an article aboot it. (http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=273232)

KTC
04-01-2009, 06:55 AM
Cool, eh!

hehe.

And...since the thread has been revived...THE HABS WON TONIGHT!

Chumplet
04-01-2009, 07:16 AM
That win put the Leafs out of the picture, right? Okay, then... Go Habs Go!

KTC
04-01-2009, 01:25 PM
That win put the Leafs out of the picture, right? Okay, then... Go Habs Go!

Not that they were in the picture. They fell off my radar around November. My son's most devastating year as a Leaf fan. I tried to tell him, from his first moment of breathing life on this earth, that Habs were the way to go. I don't know where he went wrong...but he's paying for it now. Christ...he'll always be paying for it.

Chumplet
06-19-2009, 04:50 AM
I'm popping my head in to mention the NHL Awards on tonight in Las Vegas. I wonder if the NHL is making some kind of statement by having the venue in LV. Bigger, better, slicker?

I loved Dennis Leary's opening.

It's on the CBC. Don't know if you Amurricans have it on TV.

Haggis
06-19-2009, 04:54 AM
I'm popping my head in to mention the NHL Awards on tonight in Las Vegas. I wonder if the NHL is making some kind of statement by having the venue in LV. Bigger, better, slicker?

I loved Dennis Leary's opening.

It's on the CBC. Don't know if you Amurricans have it on TV.

I'd be shocked if we do Chumplet, but I'll check--even though I'm trying to forget about hockey for a while.

And as to why the NHL would put an award show in a place that doesn't even know what ice is is beyond me. Maybe for the same reason they put some teams in places like that.

Chumplet
06-19-2009, 05:32 AM
It's nice to see the old faces, especially Patty Burns. He's been ill, but he looks trim.

Chumplet
06-19-2009, 05:46 AM
Ugh. Bettman. Change channel.

I won't because they're awarding Jean Beliveau the Lifetime Achievement Award. I heart Jean. My dad once ate with him in the cafeteria when his company was renovating the Forum.

robeiae
06-22-2009, 02:15 AM
W00t!!!

Father's Day present from my wife: autographed Forsberg picture, made out to ME.

Ha!