What's your take on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My take? I jump up and down and say yippee. 8 weeks is immediately in publishing time.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I agree. It might well be "immediately" but that is construed within the normal press of business. If an established client has a crisis, that takes priority over a read. But it's definitely a good sign, and if you catch the agent in a free moment, it might well be the same day. :)

Good luck!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yeah... the note was pretty self explanatory. Get it off to the agent. They want it right away, but they'll take a while making their decision. Good luck, lucky!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks, guys. I know 8 weeks is standard and I'd understand that. She could have left out the "look at immediately" part. kinda confusing.

nope. not confusing. they want to look at it immediately. that means send it NOW. nothing confusing about that. you're reading it all too literally.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Query reply from and agent:

I'd like to take a look at the first three chapters (or up to 50 pages) and a synopsis (3-5 pages) of your work. Please send via email attachment and I'll review immediately. Please note that it may take up to 8 weeks to review your work.

So, she'll look at it immediately, but it will take 8 weeks to get back?
[/FONT]

Congrats! You must have done something to impress her.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. I'm with everyone else. Send away.

Despite the fact that they deal with writers all the time, agents and editors are not always as careful with their own use of language as we might expect. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to parse every email from an agent for hidden messages (or even consistency). Trust me, I know.

A request for material is always a good thing. Congrats!

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Deja vu!

[FONT=&quot]Query reply from and agent:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I'd like to take a look at the first three chapters (or up to 50 pages) and a synopsis (3-5 pages) of your work. Please send via email attachment and I'll review immediately. Please note that it may take up to 8 weeks to review your work.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So, she'll look at it immediately, but it will take 8 weeks to get back?[/FONT]

I got that exact same email from, I'm guessing, the same agent about 4 weeks ago. I have to say I was just impressed with any agent who could actually give me some idea of a timeline! I think I heard the angelic choir while I read that email...

And congratulations!

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
That's exactly what I wanted to know - whether anyone else had gotten the same response. Congrats to you, too! Have you heard back?

Not yet. Still in that ring of hell reserved for writers waiting for a submission reponse and would-be lawyers waiting for the BAR results.

It's been a little over 4 weeks and I thought I'd wait at least 12 before a nudge. Though I think I'll hear before then. She seems to be completely on top of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.