PDA

View Full Version : What's your take on this?

Steffi
05-11-2008, 06:04 AM
delete

Soccer Mom
05-11-2008, 06:16 AM
My take? I jump up and down and say yippee. 8 weeks is immediately in publishing time.

Cathy C
05-11-2008, 06:20 AM
I agree. It might well be "immediately" but that is construed within the normal press of business. If an established client has a crisis, that takes priority over a read. But it's definitely a good sign, and if you catch the agent in a free moment, it might well be the same day. :)

Good luck!

Steffi
05-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks, guys. I know 8 weeks is standard and I'd understand that. She could have left out the "look at immediately" part. kinda confusing.

KTC
05-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Yeah... the note was pretty self explanatory. Get it off to the agent. They want it right away, but they'll take a while making their decision. Good luck, lucky!

KTC
05-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks, guys. I know 8 weeks is standard and I'd understand that. She could have left out the "look at immediately" part. kinda confusing.

nope. not confusing. they want to look at it immediately. that means send it NOW. nothing confusing about that. you're reading it all too literally.

Appalachian Writer
05-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Par for the course. Hurry up and wait.

HourglassMemory
05-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Send it! Send it! Who cares!!!

Straka
05-11-2008, 08:36 PM
My take? I jump up and down and say yippee. 8 weeks is immediately in publishing time.

Agreed! Good luck!

Be thankful she gave you a time frame at least. That can save a few gray hairs.

Bartholomew
05-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Query reply from and agent:

I'd like to take a look at the first three chapters (or up to 50 pages) and a synopsis (3-5 pages) of your work. Please send via email attachment and I'll review immediately. Please note that it may take up to 8 weeks to review your work.

So, she'll look at it immediately, but it will take 8 weeks to get back?

Congrats! You must have done something to impress her.

mikeland
05-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Yup. I'm with everyone else. Send away.

Despite the fact that they deal with writers all the time, agents and editors are not always as careful with their own use of language as we might expect. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to parse every email from an agent for hidden messages (or even consistency). Trust me, I know.

A request for material is always a good thing. Congrats!

Steffi
05-12-2008, 03:05 AM
I did reply right away. And I'm long past trying to divine meaning from a sentence or two from an agent. I just thought it was funny.

Thanks, guys.

Blondchen
05-12-2008, 04:01 AM
Query reply from and agent:

I'd like to take a look at the first three chapters (or up to 50 pages) and a synopsis (3-5 pages) of your work. Please send via email attachment and I'll review immediately. Please note that it may take up to 8 weeks to review your work.

So, she'll look at it immediately, but it will take 8 weeks to get back?

I got that exact same email from, I'm guessing, the same agent about 4 weeks ago. I have to say I was just impressed with any agent who could actually give me some idea of a timeline! I think I heard the angelic choir while I read that email...

And congratulations!

Steffi
05-12-2008, 05:54 AM
That's exactly what I wanted to know - whether anyone else had gotten the same response. Congrats to you, too! Have you heard back?

Blondchen
05-12-2008, 07:31 AM
That's exactly what I wanted to know - whether anyone else had gotten the same response. Congrats to you, too! Have you heard back?

Not yet. Still in that ring of hell reserved for writers waiting for a submission reponse and would-be lawyers waiting for the BAR results.

It's been a little over 4 weeks and I thought I'd wait at least 12 before a nudge. Though I think I'll hear before then. She seems to be completely on top of things.

Pamster
05-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Send it out and keep on writing! Definitely something to celebrate! :D

jannawrites
05-15-2008, 05:44 AM
Huzzah! Good luck, Steffi!