Facebook explained

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I so hate all social networking muckholes. I went into Facepuke because a friend did. Nothing worth the long wait for a page to load, that's for sure. I used a fake name so nobody would know it was me! So then what? Some poor guy in Croatia thinks I'm a long-lost friend. Sad laffs. Meh.

I'm downloading the video now :D

added: ROFL

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Not to side track this thread..but while at that site...look at the 'banned commericals'...lol...........Some of them are a riot.

That is all.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Basically just use it as a social thing--makes it easy to know when something's going on, and makes it easy to find concerts. Plus I don't take a camera anywhere, so it's nice to have the social part of my life documented somewhere publicly.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
If facebook didn't have those irritating applications that get spammed to me all the time I'd like a lot more.

In fact it was about 10x better back when only college folks could use it.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
If facebook didn't have those irritating applications that get spammed to me all the time I'd like a lot more.

In fact it was about 10x better back when only college folks could use it.
That's horribly elitist.

And absolutely 100% true.

Dario D.

Try Myspace.
Yeah. I've always considered MySpace the ghetto of social sites, with Facebook a pace above, and forums a pace above that (well, usually... depends on the topic and average user age/maturity).

Things I love about MySpace:

- Without fail, you get to hear everyone's selection of high-class, inviting music as soon as you open the page. Nice and low volume, too... I've never had to sprint for my volume control button while annoyed-as-crap... ever.

- Everyone's MySpace is so clean-looking and organized... Most pages don't resemble these people's bedrooms at all. Nope. Martha Stewart could learn something.

- I love how easy it is to read people's totally meaningful, must-read comments when the page owner chooses a completely easy to read on, non-contrasty background that doesn't say MEGADETH on it 50 times.

---
Yes, I don't use social networking sites. I have a Facebook, but only because my homeschool friends were all going away to college at the same time, and insisted that I get one. I used it for a while (thinking the whole time how utterly useless everything I did on it was - I mean, I have boogers to pick that are more meaningful than anything you could do on a social networking site), but now it's just sitting and rotting.

Oh, and forums. I usually only forum it up when I need a break, and don't feel like playing PC games or doing anything else. :rolleyes: I would much rather talk up something meaningful with someone, like over email or something, but at the moment, I have neither that kind of pal anymore [sniff], nor a speck of time to do it... probably for divine purpose.

Last edited:

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bravo, thank you for affirming my non-use of the social networking sites. I never could see the point, and now I realize that's because there isn't one.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Bravo, thank you for affirming my non-use of the social networking sites. I never could see the point, and now I realize that's because there isn't one.

What? You mean you don't want some John Oliver clone nattering at your metaphorical door at five in the morning?

Mmmmm....
John Oliver clone.....
[Gggrrrrrggglllle...]

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i actually like facebook a lot.

scrabulous is one of the greatest games of all time and available exclusively on facebook.

and when it comes to creepy stalker people, i just have my privacy filters maxed out which makes it a helluva lot easier to manage.

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
Hate facebook, but love myspace. I got on facebook because a friend recommended it. I don't see the point over there. To me it's just a waste of time. Myspace, however is just much more fun. But, I only accept friendship from people who interest me, or other writer friends. That way I'm not bogged-down by a bunch of useless bulletins.

Couldn't agree more. A good friend convinced me to sign up for facebook. I reconnected with a college prof and some people on here who don't have myspace. Other than that, I don't like it. The blogging feature isn't nearly as nice, and you can't personalize your page like you can on Myspace.

John Paton

carn the mighty hawks !!
Registered
Reaction score
the sporting capital of the world. Oh! That's Melb
i actually like facebook a lot.

and when it comes to creepy stalker people, i just have my privacy filters maxed out which makes it a helluva lot easier to manage.

Darn Bravo - I was hoping you'd be my friend !

Facebook is ok ... I only have ppl involved in the entertainment business on mine .. good way to keep in touch and to network.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
scrabulous is one of the greatest games of all time and available exclusively on facebook.

I love scrabulous! Except that by the time my friends get around to playing their move, I forgot about the game.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
are you a creepy stalker person?

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
There's nothing like landing on a MySpace page with some heavy-metal song on it, late at night while the wife's asleep. (Yeah, I usually remember to turn my speakers off.) Or when there are multiple songs and videos on an unreadable page, all barfing on each other trying to load.

BUT at least you can start on MySpace and wander around and find interesting people and build a network. On Facebook, you start off with nothing but that blank page that says there a billion photos to look at, but no way to get to them. Facebook is more of a stagnant virus than a web site, all those apps written by who-knows-who, doing whatever they feel like doing behind the scenes.

Both sites have those nice features (Comments on MySpace, the wall on Facebook) where people can write crap about you, and it sticks to your home page.

I absolutely don't get it. Though the quality of the forums on MySpace is a wonder to behold. As in, some kind of brain-dead nightmare where people spam and talk over each other for dominance. Still, there's an occasional sane person to add to a friend list.

Does anyone read the blogs or bulletins? I wish I had stats on that.

The more professional version is LinkedIn, but while it links people's profiles together in theory, it doesn't appear to have any actual features.

Crazy world.

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone read the blogs or bulletins? I wish I had stats on that.

The more professional version is LinkedIn, but while it links people's profiles together in theory, it doesn't appear to have any actual features.

I read the blogs. Not so much the bulletins, but every once in awhile, something good comes along. Or I'm just bored.

LinkedIn...I don't get it. Nobody I know is on it, and if they are, I have no way to find them.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Not sure what would put Facefungus above MyBlackHole (which is certainly a shite-pit), they both rate the same in my crudlist. Anything that slow to load isn't worth effing around with regularly. I got into Myswamp to leave some rants, my small drop of counter-idiocy in the ocean of dung.

Wottever. Can't back out of Facefart yet. I am having a sort of on-the-wall conversation with my accidental friend.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I have a Facebook, but only to access a group that some friends created on the site. Otherwise, I don't use it. Or Myspace. Or any other of those services.