PDA

View Full Version : Beowulf :(

HeronW
05-10-2008, 06:05 AM
I read this ages ago, loved the whole 'tear off the arm and beat Grendel over the head with it' deal. Angelina Jolie with a tail has got to add something as Grendel's mom right?

Eh, not so much. Grendel doesn't kill Hrothgar because that's daddy, the hero lies to make himself look good, fine premise--the rest is dreck.

I've seen better animation in Shrek. WTF happened to this movie?

They took all the actors, smudged the features & made them into cartoons? No individuality, horses all run like cookie cutter copies, skin and hands are like flesh covered latex with no humanity, camera cuts are overdone.

Sky Captain, Sin City, 300, all had oodles of CGI and real people.

Beowulf is a video game wannabe badly done.

Ken
05-10-2008, 06:22 AM
For sake of comparison:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Beowulf_challenged_by_the_coastguard_by_E_Paul.jpg

illustration of Beowulf challenged by the Coastguard by Evelyn Paul, 1911

Hollan
05-10-2008, 07:19 AM
I didn't waste my time watching the movie b/c it looked like crap, but this is pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjkN4feMuJQ

It's the guys from MST3K making fun of the movie. It rocks ^_^

Soccer Mom
05-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Hubby and I rented it on our last vacation. It was terrible. We sat in the bed with Coronas and did our own version of MST3K!

Paichka
05-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Hubby and I rented it on our last vacation. It was terrible. We sat in the bed with Coronas and did our own version of MST3K!

I sooooo wanted to like it, because Neil Gaiman wrote/collaborated/whichever on the screenplay.

I thought the bit making our boy an unreliable narrator, and making the dragon his own monsterous son was rather cool.

Most of it, though -- yick. Some of the dialogue was awesome, though. To paraphrase -- "Many heroes have come to rid us of our monster. In the morning there was nothing left of them but blood on the walls. And the ceiling. And the benches."

I just wanted it to be better, you know?

SPMiller
05-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Avary also worked on it, of Pulp Fiction fame. I expected better.

The story was more accurate than in most portrayals, but I was left feeling like something was missing. And not just the animation quality, but the writing itself.

It may be Gaiman's fault, because I despised Stardust.

EriRae
05-13-2008, 01:55 AM

MST3K--totally. Only reason to watch. Rifftrax was pretty accurate.

Elodie-Caroline
05-13-2008, 02:39 AM
I'll hold my little hand up and and readily admit that I really like the film Beowulf; yep, I even bought the dvd of it so I can watch it over again.

I don't like cartoons as a rule, eg; The Simpsons, South park etc. But as Beowulf is based on mythology, (I like mythology films, Jason and the Argonauts, Clash of the Titans, The 13th Warrior,) then the computer animated stuff suits Beowulf.
I also don't like all of the special effects in normal films either, it spoils them. But I'd love to see more mythology films done this way, computer animated, as it gives them the sense of the surreal; with gods and goddesses, that's a bonus, I think.

Angelina Jolie looked gorgeous as the wicked goddess in Beowulf, there again, she'd gorgeous in anything.

I also like the film, 300 :)

Elodie

maestrowork
05-13-2008, 03:31 AM
As an animation fan I have to disagree that the animation of Beowulf sucks. I actually think it's phenomenal. Especially the close-ups -- it's so photorealistic it's unbelievable. The action sequences were also well animated (except the horses, which did suck). Instead of looking at it as bringing "real" people down a notch to animation, think of it as bringing animation up a notch to "almost" human. I'm actually surprised the animation was overlooked at the Oscars; instead they picked Surf Up. I mean why is it great when real actors are playing against CG-generated, animated environments (Sky Captain, 300) that look like cartoons, but people always criticize CG-generated people? I know there's a creep factor involved but to me, it's rather irrational.

The HD-DVD is amazing, by the way. At times, I felt like I was watching live action.

WannabeWriter
05-14-2008, 05:39 AM
I thought it was OK. Not terrible, but just average. The dialogue seemed rather badly written in the beginning, though.

Broadswordbabe
05-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Try Beowulf and Grendel instead, directed by Sturla Gunnarsson, 2005.

Fabulous film.

BarbaraKE
05-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Try Beowulf and Grendel instead, directed by Sturla Gunnarsson, 2005.

Fabulous film.

I agree with this. Much better film. Not perfect by any means but I liked it much better.

cethklein
05-14-2008, 07:02 PM
I knew this movie would be awful the moment I saw the trailer where he screams "I AM BAYWUFF!" (spelled phonetically.) That killed it for me. It looks like they took the "300 approach" and went all special effects and no plot.

Beowulf would have been best as a low-budget B movie. Because really, the story itself is perfect for that genre.