Are you 'for' or 'against' the Jorts?

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
My office is very casual. As in, extremely causal...we are allowed to wear 'whatever' to work. Shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, sandals, barefoot, whatever you feel like wearing.
If you roll out of bed in your jammies and come straight to work, in our office, no one will bat an eye.
We are a small co. of about 45-50 people, mostly guys, as we deal with NFL, College, and High School coaches, and football, basketball, soccer, NASCAR people on a daily basis. Therefore, we really have no reasons to dress nice.

Anyway, I've noticed that a couple of guys in the office have no problem stylin in the jorts.
Personally, I don't like them. I think they're too old-mannish. I just think they're a weird look.

BTW -
Jorts are blue-jean shorts. blue jean shorts = jorts

Also:
Blorts = black shorts
jerts = jean shirts
Plorts = plaid shorts
storts = stone-washed jeans shorts
jesus boots = leather sandals

So, my question is: do YOU wear the jorts?
what about the others?

Are these all fashion violations?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I may be old school, but I feel an office environment should adhere to a basic dress code that doesn't allow for wearing clothing better suited as beach wear or bedtime attire. I'm not advocating suit and tie apparel, but something more on the order of casual, comfortable and appealing to an outsider who might drop by, such as slacks and a shirt with a collar, or a smart skirt and blouse, with or without nylons.

Regardless of the business environment, it's important to project a sense of professionalism, within and outside of the corporate mentality.

That's just my opinion, of course, which doesn't amount to much, if anything.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
In the summertime when it gets so hot that my legs start to sweat when I take a walk in blue jeans, I start wear cutoffs (which are jeans that are old enough to have developed holes in the knees, with the legs cut off somewhere above the knees - I know that holes-in-the-knees is in style for some people, but not me). But unless I worked outside and/or did physical labor, I wouldn't wear shorts, jorts or cutoffs to work (as an example of "appropriate shorts in a work environment," I saw a USPS worker this morning wearing shorts).

When the cutoffs get a hole in the butt or crotch, I throw them away. But still, I realize I might be a walking fashion violation.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
LOL.
Well, we also have a 5000 Sq ft game room with basketball court, poker tables, ping-pong, air hockey, foosball, pool table, fully stocked bar, and 35ft screen to watch games on. Most of our company meetings have pizza, BBQ, or Burgers...and of course, beer.
So, you might not like it there.
We do act professional though, from 8-5.

I may be old school, but I feel an office environment should adhere to a basic dress code that doesn't allow for wearing clothing better suited as beach wear or bedtime attire. I'm not advocating suit and tie apparel, but something more on the order of casual, comfortable and appealing to an outsider who might drop by, such as slacks and a shirt with a collar, or a smart skirt and blouse, with or without nylons.

Regardless of the business environment, it's important to project a sense of professionalism, within and outside of the corporate mentality.

POPASMOKE

Keep your turns up
Registered
Reaction score
LOL.
Well, we also have a 5000 Sq ft game room with basketball court, poker tables, ping-pong, air hockey, foosball, pool table, fully stocked bar, and 35ft screen to watch games on. Most of our company meetings have pizza, BBQ, or Burgers...and of course, beer.

Uh Doyle? It's obvious SilverKing and Ben are stuffed shirts. :D Yur company have any openings??????

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Uh Doyle? It's obvious SilverKing and Ben are stuffed shirts. :D Yur company have any openings??????

yes! actually we do!

You really need to like football a LOT...LOL....and knowing some X's and O's helps a bit. (even though I don't) we do tend to hire a lot of ex-coaches

One ex-NFL player working for us too.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
LOL.

I'd love to work there as well. But there is something to be said in how you present yourself not only to fellow employees but to the business world at large. Like I said earlier, I may be old school and completely out of touch with current business trends; but I've owned a company for over twenty-five years, and though I'm fairly easygoing in regards to dress codes, it goes without saying that extreme casual dress is better left at home, where it's most appreciated.

When you go to work, dress as if the job means something to you.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I thought Jorts were those big lawn dart things I had as a kid. And I was lucky enough to have the unsafe ones with the big metal ends on them. Eventually they killed enough kids that they recalled them and made them with a safer round end on them.

Maybe those were Jarts...

*wanders off confused, distracted by the mention of pizza*

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I'd love to work there as well. But there is something to be said in how you present yourself not only to fellow employees but to the business world at large. Like I said earlier, I may be old school and completely out of touch with current business trends; but I've owned a company for over twenty-five years, and though I'm fairly easygoing in regards to dress codes, it goes without saying that extreme casual dress is better left at home, where it's most appreciated.

When you go to work, dress as if the job means something to you.

weirdly enough, when I started to work there 4 years ago, I thought the same way as you did, I thought everyone would act unprofessional etc etc.
What I found was just the opposite. we KNOW we have it made. We have lax dress rules, a FUN environment, and we ALL have our own, VERY large offices. NO cubicles here. Even the recpetionist has her own office.

What I found was some of THE most professinal acting workers I've ever encountered in ANY business setting in my life. From the owner on down, everyone acts professional, though we DO have fun, after all, we are dealing with coaches and the GAME (and business) of football.

But, everyone acts professional and the dress code has never EVER been an issue in any way, not with employees and not with coaches from the NFL, Olympics officials, NASCAR people, NFL committee personnel, NFL referees, Colleges, High Schools, etc.

When we do training, such as for NFL officials, or NASCAR personnel, we are asked to wear golf shirts. But, I've seen some fairly high ranking NFL teams personnel wearing absolute rags compared to my daily fare.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
As long as the basics are covered and no one needs to impress anyone else, casual is fine. I would draw the line at no bed clothing.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
No one has ever worn their jammies to work.

What I detest though, is the guys who wear shorts, and sandals, but with the black socks.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Quit wearing jorts or your crotches will be burnt!

thing I remember most about jeans is accounts I've heard of rookie miners going down shafts and having their crotches nearly burnt off due to the metal rivets and zippers on their jeans heating up and searing their flesh in the hot temperature of the mines.

So maybe if you tell this to the workers at your place, DWSTXS, they'll quit wearing jorts, especially if you close all the windows and turn up the heat.

Last edited:

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
thing I remember most about jeans is accounts I heard of rookie miners going down shafts and having their crotches nearly burnt off due to the metal rivets and zippers on their jeans heating up and searing their flesh in the hot temperature of the mines.

So maybe if you tell this to the workers at your place, DWSTXS, they'll quit wearing jorts, especially if you close all the windows and turn up the heat.

Ha! Let them burn, I say! (that's just the price of jortage)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I've lived in Florida all of my life, where casual attire is the norm. But I still won't ever go out to dinner under-dressed. Shorts and flip-flops? Come on, that's the type of clothing reserved for tourists who think no one cares about appearances.

And for the most part, no one does cares. But I do.

Dress accordingly for the occasion.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'd have to agree.
Every place I work I always dress well, even if no one else is.
It makes a good impression on the bosses and when it comes time for them to decide who gets a promotion it might help sway them in your direction. Never worked for me, yet, but from a logistical standpoint it would seem to be valid.

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score

Curmudgeonly old coot!

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Even in a casual work environment, there's still a place for style. Jorts aren't it. Denim is made for pants, and possibly jackets - nothing else.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
We once didn't get a contract because the CEO of the buying company said we looked sloppy and disorganized. We immediately called a meeting to toss around ideas on how to fix this perception. Besides the usual dress better, clean up the place suggestions one person suggested having a slogan reminding everyone we're trying to do better and put that slogan up on the wall for everyone to see. The boss liked the idea and asked for slogan suggestions. I suggested "We've upped our standards; now up yours"
It didn't get chosen. (true story. As if I would make something up)

Richard

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Doesnt the tie get in your way when youve got a 70 lb tarpon dragging you all over the place? Hate to see it get caught in your reel. Just curious, george.

yer pal Brian

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Back in my programming days I wore business casual. In Dallas. Jesus, it's hot here in the summer.

Although the girls loved it, I hated every single day of it. I'm glad to be back to jeans and T-shirts. Ahh, much better.

But no jorts. They don't work for me.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Back in my programming days I wore business casual. In Dallas. Jesus, it's hot here in the summer.

Although the girls loved it, I hated every single day of it. I'm glad to be back to jeans and T-shirts. Ahh, much better.

But no jorts. They don't work for me.

Dallas IS way too hot in the summer for anything other than shorts.

I'll never forget going to a job interview, and the woman interviewing me was in her 60's, but she looked every day of 96. I ask her if the dress code is 'business casual'. I'll never forget her answer either. Without batting an eye or missing a beat, she answers:
"We like to think of it as business casual yes. Coat and tie every day."

I actually worked there too.
If you stepped out of your office you have to put the coat on. The only time they allowed no coat, is when you were sitting inside your own office.
The 'offices' were coat closets that they'd shoved little desks into. You could sit in your chair reach your arms out to each side and put your hands flat on each wall.
It was completely ridiculous.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I've always wondered why some people are so undisciplined in their workhabits that they feel that their work will suffer if they don't wear a tie, or 'dress up' in some way.

As for me, I can do a good job in my career, no matter what I'm wearing. I don't need a tie, or a nametag, to remind me what I'm doing, who or what I'm doing it for. If you need these reminders, then perhaps you are not so professional after all.

This company I work for has a very professional attitude and demeanor. We dress extremely casual because that's the way our customers dress. It would be ridiculous to wear a coat and tie to go meet with a coach who is wearing sweats and/or shorts as they always do.

If your work habits are so haphazard and you are so undisciplined that simply wearing something different causes your work habits to suffer, then I say that perhaps you are the one who needs to work on your own professionalism, and not worry about those who can wear shorts, etc and still act, and be, professional.

If you insist in thinking that you can't act professional and do a good job unless you are dressed a certain way, then I suggest that you are less professional in attitude and also in your productivity than someone who can act, and be, professional and competent, no matter what they're wearing.

Unless, of course, you can only sell the 'sizzle' and not the meat.

CDarklock

Yes!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.darklock.com
Personally, I wear a tie to work, whether I am required to do so or not. I do this because other people respond differently to me when I wear a tie. When I have to walk over to someone's office, and that person doesn't know me, t-shirt and jeans will leave me standing around forever. Shirt and tie makes them drop their shit and deal with me NOW.

Likewise, I don't do my "beach muscle" workout because I need big arms and chest, but because I noticed business decisions on "who to hire" going disproportionately to the candidate with the highest muscle mass. Everything I wear has a rationale - I wear blue or red tie, blue dress shirt, sturdy black work pants, a biker belt, and harness-style motorcycle boots. Combined with my size, goatee, and hair to mid-back, this presents a solid impression that balances irreverence, ruggedness, and professionalism in just about equal proportions.

And it helps when you get to a meeting early, the self-starting CEO is rearranging shop equipment, and you immediately just walk over and lend a hand. If I were wearing Italian loafers and wool slacks, that wouldn't really be an option. We roll up our sleeves and get things done out here. That's why most East-coasters come out and can't get any status; they think the suit and tie will carry weight, but if you can't or won't help move that 600 pound MedX unit, you lose respect.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Personally, I wear a tie to work, whether I am required to do so or not. I do this because other people respond differently to me when I wear a tie. When I have to walk over to someone's office, and that person doesn't know me, t-shirt and jeans will leave me standing around forever. Shirt and tie makes them drop their shit and deal with me NOW.
CDarklock
This is exactly why we don't wear a tie. Our customers are coaches, players, team managers, etc.
If we wore a tie when they're wearing sweats and/or shorts, they would be the ones feeling uncomfortable. They would respond differently to us.