Do you have a school-aged child I can interview online?

xiph

Registered
Reaction score
[deleted]

Last edited:

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You just need one kid? I have three. Give me the questions and I'll write down their answers and give them back to you as they aren't allowed online in forums. Of course I'll have to review the questions first.

Perhaps you should have someone change your title just to be safe.

Glad to help out.

xiph

Registered
Reaction score
[deleted]

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with the title. We do, however, have a forum set up to request interviews, so we'll move this thread there now.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, at what age will you allow them online in forums? Also, are they allowed online not in forums? (I infer such from the wording)

Age 35 but only if they pass my bootcamp type test.

And yes they are allowed on line but not in a forum. I won't say here where but I have checked it out and they mostly non interactive places. I do have my limits. Right now I have them scared about surfing the net. They believe that my computer will blow up if they search around and download the wrong stuff. Then they will lose a computer and their eyes from the explosion and never see again. Or walk from the spanking. :D

There's only one computer in my home that is online. Mine. And it's always in my view. We don't do MySpace until "Their Space" is cleaned up, which I know wont happen until they move out of the house. And besides there will be no time between homework, job, housework, sports and school to get that involved. They will just have to have a MyMeatSpace.

Does that answer your question? Dork. :tongue

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I don't allow my kids online either. They can use the word processor application and check email on the family computer. There are a few sites, like Webkinz, they can play on, but they're forbidden to surf or give out any information online. I don't allow them to surf on YouTube either (much to the boy's chagrin).

The age when they might be allowed? I'll play it by ear. Maybe 12 or 14. Maybe not.

LIVIN

Registered
Reaction score
I have another question. A couple people have mentioned Webkinz. Couldn't a serious predator just as easily go to the Webkinz site?

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I have another question. A couple people have mentioned Webkinz. Couldn't a serious predator just as easily go to the Webkinz site?

Yes, but they are not allowed to chat freely -- there are set phrases users can select.

Although I have to say, I'm not a fan of Webkinz either. I allow my children to use it but I limit their time severely. I think it just sets them up for wanting more, and quicker. They lose interest and want to move on to Club Penguin and the whole host of other, looser sites.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Oy, poor xiph. His thread is getting derailed.

You can PM me with questions and I'll see if my daughter is interested. If so, I'll PM her answers back.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Yes, but they are not allowed to chat freely -- there are set phrases users can select.

Although I have to say, I'm not a fan of Webkinz either. I allow my children to use it but I limit their time severely. I think it just sets them up for wanting more, and quicker. They lose interest and want to move on to Club Penguin and the whole host of other, looser sites.
I'm the same way. My daughter gets to go on every so often, for a brief period of time.

And to get this thread back on track - PM me with your questions and I'll corner my daughter tonight or tomorrow. :D

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I guess they could - I'm not really sure how the "playing" goes. My daughter likes taking the Webkinz classes and decorating her kinz's rooms and stuff. I think she can communicate with other owners, but I don't really know how that part works.

She can, but she has to click on phrases like "Nice job!" or "I didn't see that coming." She can play other users in games, and invite them to her "house." But she can't type in replies.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
My oldest is 6, so I'll get her on Noggin or Elmo's World and let her go. She knows how to print and switch back and forth, but she doesn't know the www part. And sometimes, she surprises me by getting on those sites her self. They are saved in 'Favorites' so she picks them out and goes right to them. We also have the Seek-N-Find games that we play together.
She thinks she doesn't have limits. Wonder how long I can keep her convinced...

BTW xiph, if 6 isn't too young, send me a PM of your questions and I'll get answers sent back to ya.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I believe limiting time limits risk. The more time they spend on the computer, the more curious they become about what else is there and what more they can do. It's like anything in life: Balance. TV, computer, reading, piano, outdoor play, indoor play, crafts, games, school, homework, chores. If they do all of those (or a goodly portion) in one day, their day is truly balanced.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since you ask, no, it doesn't. What age will you deem appropriate?

I said 35!

I don't know if I'll put an age on it but after 12 or so I'll see if they're mature enough to handle online talk. In a forum. Not in a chat room. Ever. Unless I've gotten to know the people in the chat room like here at AW. It's just not happening in my house. They can do private chat with friends but only if they allow me to read it. My rule will be, Don't write it if mom can't read it.

I do hope it works out.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe limiting time limits risk. The more time they spend on the computer, the more curious they become about what else is there and what more they can do. It's like anything in life: Balance. TV, computer, reading, piano, outdoor play, indoor play, crafts, games, school, homework, chores. If they do all of those (or a goodly portion) in one day, their day is truly balanced.

I stand with you in this.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm glad I'm not a child in your house. :D Heck, I'm probably glad I'm not a child in most people's houses these days. Good luck with that.

Game on.

If you were a mature, trust worthy child in my house I would probably let you have most freedoms a child needs to grow up on. But now that you made that comment and proved to me different, if you were my child I would ground you for a week from all computer and video games.

Now go to your room! :tongue

xiph

Registered
Reaction score
[deleted]

Last edited: