• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Postage price hike and SASEs

Status
Not open for further replies.

privatepook

Yes, I'm totally into that..
Registered
Reaction score
It seems that postage is going up to 42 cents on May 12th. My question is about my queries that came with SASEs that have 41 cent stamps on them.

Am I pretty much screwed on getting a response from all of those agents? Can I resend them a query without making them irate?

I'm assuming I'm not the only one out there with queries that contain SASEs whose postage will become insufficient by 1 cent three days from now.

gabbleandhiss

1% Irish, 99% blarney
Registered
Reaction score
Next time use a "forever" stamp.

privatepook

Registered
Reaction score
I just looked at my leftover stamps and saw that I used Forever Stamps too. I'm dumb, and surprised frankly that I am somehow literate... I think.

*Kicks Himself after finding inspiration from Auntybug*

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
*puts down drink*

:e2smack:

"What a maroon!" Thanks! I did...boy I must need more coffee...my brain isn't on. Not funny how fast panic can set in...

*kicks privatepook* ;)

See Bug, things could be worse! You'll be wise to it when you send out number 7!:D

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
It seems that postage is going up to 42 cents on May 12th. My question is about my queries that came with SASEs that have 41 cent stamps on them.

Am I pretty much screwed on getting a response from all of those agents? Can I resend them a query without making them irate?

I'm assuming I'm not the only one out there with queries that contain SASEs whose postage will become insufficient by 1 cent three days from now.

Their response will come back to you postage due. Pay your mail carrier the extra penny and you're good.

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com

Two words: Forever Stamps. I buy them by the hundred. They never become obsolete. Putting regular postage on an SASE that might sit on some agent's slush pile for 6-9 months is a sucker's bet.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
What's a forever stamp?

privatepook

Registered
Reaction score
What's a forever stamp?

They look like this:

b2_2738.jpg

......and they supposedly stay valid even if the price of postage increases. I started this thread before realizing I'd bought them. If anyone has fruit and vegetables, throw them at me whenever I dance.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Are they more expensive or something?

eveningstar

circus girl without a safety net
Registered
Reaction score
I remember someone asked Miss Snark this when the rates increased before and she said they'd stocked up on 1 cent stamps, so some agents might be prepared.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Wow my stamps even SAY forever on them but I had no idea that meant what it meant. Hell I didn't even read it until seeing the image above! Good thread, thanks everyone for the info. :D

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
I'd recommend resending the queries with a new stamp affixed. Write a short note saying "I;m enclosing a SASE with proper postage affixed to for a query sent [DATE]."

However, I might also recommend keeping a regular eye on the postal rates. They usually go up every year; it's usually announced months in advance; and the new stamps (or at least ones to get you there) are on sale well beforehand. An ounce of prevention and all that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.