PDA

View Full Version : 10 Free Rep Points

JennaGlatzer
04-07-2005, 11:37 AM
...to anyone who posts a critique of anything on the Share Your Work board today.

(If you post a critique and I forget to rep you, tell me. I'll try to keep up. :) )

I'd like to encourage people to give feedback to their fellow writers.

Optimus
04-07-2005, 11:39 AM
How about on the Screenwriter's page posting forum?

paprikapink
04-07-2005, 11:42 AM
I'll take 'em! Especially cuz I was planning to do that today anyway. Today after I sleep and wake up, I mean. Not now while I'm all bleary.

-pkpk

mdin
04-07-2005, 11:58 AM
If I post in fifteen different threads, do I get 150 rep points?

aspier
04-07-2005, 12:09 PM
What's a rep point? Insider joke? Why am I always out of the main scene? How about anyone posting once in my thread 'Queen' get a free ride with me to watch the bridge across the Taag in Lissabon? And anyone hitting my 'Red Shoes' NOW gets 2 free rides!

http://users.skynet.be/spier/clipart/bridgelis.jpg [You know what? Some Virus has eaten up my 'Easy Upload FTP program'! I can't load up this 'bridge pic! So, go with Jenna and later come get your Red Shoe point, ok?]

Queen = http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10189
Red Shoes = http://users.skynet.be/spier/redshoes.htm

Jenna Smile, I'll post there for free! Just because you asked me! What's that song 'Slave for you la la'? Give us a link, we all'll go there. So get red for a lot of handout points (whatever they mean).

aspier

aspier
04-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Got FTP! Yesssss! No virus can cheat me for long! Zakk! So come come! But go Jenna's first otherwise you know ... eh etc. such, see? Where is that link to Share?

as

JennaGlatzer
04-07-2005, 12:43 PM
is here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Ah, yes, Opti, I forgot that the Screenwriting forum now has its own "share your work"-type section. Sure, that counts, too.

JennaGlatzer
04-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Aspier: Rep points are described in the FAQ link on top, but in short...

Members can give other members rep points for helpful/funny/smart posts, and take away points if they feel a member was rude/spamming/unhelpful.

You give/take points by clicking the scales next to a post. There, you can either "approve" or "disapprove" and leave a comment if you like.

You see those green boxes below people's names? You get another box every time you've accumulated 100 rep points.

Click the link marked "User CP" above to read any rep comments people may have left for you.

maestrowork
04-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Jenna, what a great idea. And thank you.

(but I think you give out more than 10 now... I think it's probably close to 15? I wouldn't know since I haven't been rep'ed by you for a while now... *hint hint*)

MadScientistMatt
04-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Ok, I'll bite. I hope that my comments may be helpful too. :) First time I've done any critiquing like this.

JAlpha
04-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Jenna,

I've posted a checklist to help with the fiction crits, but I wondered how I can keep it at the top of the line-up so it can be viewed and hopefully utilized without sliding down in the line-up?

Not sure what a sticky thread is, or how to create one, but would that be the solution?. I think having a common set of crafting points to reference will help keep the Share Your Work thread more active.

Janet

Poppy
04-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Hey Janet, a moderator (Ray/maestrowork is the mod for SYW forum) has the ability to make your topic 'stick'. :)

three seven
04-08-2005, 03:36 AM
What about people who post work in SYW?

<ahem>

rhymegirl
04-08-2005, 03:46 AM
I critiqued a couple of people's stories today, Jenna.

Susie
04-08-2005, 04:43 AM
I critiqued bjewel's cute story. I'll do others too. Thanks much for announcing that about the rep points.:)

Warm regards, Susie

Birol
04-08-2005, 04:46 AM
SYW's been busy today. Now I see why. :)

zizban
04-08-2005, 05:03 AM
How does one get a unique title under their names?

MacAllister
04-08-2005, 05:16 AM
One goes into one's user CP (tool bar at the top, far left button) and sets one's own. :)

zizban
04-08-2005, 05:24 AM
Thank ye!

JAlpha
04-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Jenna,

As of 11:56 pm 4/7/05, there are no Share Your Work posts with 0 replies on the first two pages :Clap: .

There are still a couple of 0 post replies on pages 3 & 4, but I think overall your

AW critters came through for you :TheWave:

Hey it's not like you had to bribe us or anything!

Janet

William Haskins
04-08-2005, 08:14 AM
there's a great deal of critiquing that goes on in "poetry" as well. i say this not to grovel for rep points for myself or on behalf of anyone else.

i really just want to guilt more people into visiting that section of the site.

i hope it works and you all feel unclean and small until you go there and post a poem. everybody's got a least one.

reph
04-08-2005, 11:21 AM
I started a critique at about 11 p.m. local time and finished it a bit after midnight. Does that count?

JennaGlatzer
04-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Yes. :)

And William, thanks for pointing that out.

I'm going to finish my repping rounds... post here if I left anyone out.

Liam Jackson
04-08-2005, 12:45 PM
there's a great deal of critiquing that goes on in "poetry" as well. i say this not to grovel for rep points for myself or on behalf of anyone else.

i really just want to guilt more people into visiting that section of the site.

i hope it works and you all feel unclean and small until you go there and post a poem. everybody's got a least one.

In my best (worst) Maurice Chevalier imitiation:
"Ah feel sah dir-tee and anshaumed!"

One really bad poem, coming up!

Maryn
04-08-2005, 05:18 PM
I don't know about anybody else, but I felt unqualified to critique Share-Your-Work too far outside my own area. Would I know a good poem or fantasy if I saw one? Perhaps not.

Still, this was a great spur--I hadn't done a critique here in months. Ten rep points helping someone write a little better (I hope) is much easier than blackmailing people here, or sending nude photos, in exchange for rep points! (<--it's a joke--you'd laugh if you saw me nude)

Maryn, fully dressed

veinglory
04-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Your wish is my command

or should that be your bribe is my incentive

now I'm confused

paprikapink
04-08-2005, 09:06 PM
{I'm pretty sure I benefit from critiquing work on this board at least as much as anyone who's work I critique. Probably more. In fact, I'm positive, definitely more. It's a break from working on my own stuff, but it's not as utterly goofing off as posting about the meaning of avatars.... But don't tell Jenna! I'm not going to object to receiving ten rep points for contributing to my own welfare!}

-pkpk

MadScientistMatt
04-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Well, now that I think the bribe's expired, I'm actually hooked on this! Didn't know how much fun critiquing could be.

T42
04-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Aspier: Rep points are described in the FAQ link on top, but in short...

Members can give other members rep points for helpful/funny/smart posts, and take away points if they feel a member was rude/spamming/unhelpful.

You give/take points by clicking the scales next to a post. There, you can either "approve" or "disapprove" and leave a comment if you like.

You see those green boxes below people's names? You get another box every time you've accumulated 100 rep points.

Click the link marked "User CP" above to read any rep comments people may have left for you.What I want to know, Jenna is how long the red square last? How is it that some people can have 92 post and two or three green squares? And, how much more do I have to get to beat that annoying red square? I still am not sure what this is all about. We critique others writings and what writing do we critique? I'm missing the directions somewhere....:confused: Anyway just looking around, I would be the last person that should be attempting to critique someone else's writing:)

rhymegirl
04-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Hi!

To critique someone's work, go to the main board, look under "The Conference Room" and click on "Share Your Work". When you get to that board you will see various pieces posted by your fellow members. Just click on whatever interests you, read what the person has written and post a response (critique). You can choose something in your field of interest (poetry, fiction, non-fiction) if you want.

Hope this helps.

T42
04-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi!

To critique someone's work, go to the main board, look under "The Conference Room" and click on "Share Your Work". When you get to that board you will see various pieces posted by your fellow members. Just click on whatever interests you, read what the person has written and post a response (critique). You can choose something in your field of interest (poetry, fiction, non-fiction).

Hope this helps.Thank you so much! That does help. It will be fun to read other peoples writings and read the critiquing. Perhaps I will learn something:)
Thanks again,
Mem

rhymegirl
04-08-2005, 11:31 PM
You're welcome. :)

JennaGlatzer
04-09-2005, 02:08 AM
Mem, if someone gave you a negative rep point (a red square), it just takes away one point from your total rep points. (If that person has more than one green square under their name, it takes away that number of points... meaning that someone who has a very good reputation can give/take away more rep points than others).

People who have low posts but lots of rep points... well, I guess people really liked their posts! ;) Really, people generally get a lot of points for being particularly helpful or giving great advice or critiques.

JennaGlatzer
04-09-2005, 02:10 AM
P.S. Thanks to everyone for jumping on the Share Your Work train. :) I know the writers who posted work appreciated the feedback! I'd love to get more people in the habit of hanging around there. I know that's what helped me the most when I was developing my screenwriting skills... I benefitted tremendously from peer critiques.

triceretops
04-09-2005, 04:01 AM
Dang, I didn't know there was some participation needed at the critter board. I'm on my...up, up and awaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Dang, my cape got stuck. Oop, hard landing!

Tri

jdkiggins
04-09-2005, 04:55 AM
OK, Jenna. I did three crits yesterday, made only a comment on another, which wasn't worth a crit really. So, you owe me 10 for the third one, :)
Joanne

WhisperingBard
04-09-2005, 05:09 AM
So, you owe me 10 for the third one,
Me, too, Jenna. :D

I generally try to stop in and critique at least once a week. Not sure if I'm helping anyone *grin*, but I do try!

Renee
04-09-2005, 06:56 AM
I thought this was just for the SYW board? Not the poetry, etc?

Hmum..but what do I know.

reph
04-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Renee, critiquing on the poetry and screenplays forums does count. It was added after Jenna's original announcement.

paprikapink
04-09-2005, 07:31 AM
Okay. I'm just gonna reveal it...it's a huge secret, but I can't keep it bottled up any longer.

You don't have to wait for Jenna to run a promotion to get rep points for crits on SYW, or anywhere else. It's raining rep points on the critique threads! People love critiques and critiquers and critique-seekers. It's like stealing rep points from a baby.

There. I said it.

-pkpk

maestrowork
04-09-2005, 07:40 AM
Oops, PK! You gave the secret away!

Seriously, guys, this is a writers' board and it really is good for our community that we give and receive support from others, and what better place to start than Share Your Work. You don't need rep points or other incentives for that.

I'd even go further to say that those who have posted a WIP for crit should try to at least crit a few. I think it's just good manners. ;)

WhisperingBard
04-09-2005, 07:53 AM
I thought this was just for the SYW board?
Mine were.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8356
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10223
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5044

Anything I did in the poetry forum was an added bonus. :D

Although why I felt I had to defend myself, I really don't know...

Dawno
04-09-2005, 07:55 AM
What are people looking for when they post in SYW? I'm a voracious reader. I read at a very fast pace but with full comprehension and go through a novel a week, sometimes more if they're on the short side, all while holding down a full time job. (I will admit, however, that The Baroque Trilogy by Stephenson took me 4 months to read.) I read a wide variety of genres. I've never critiqued anyone before so I'm hesitant to even try.

Maybe I'd be a good beta reader...anyone want to explain to me what they're looking for in a beta reader?

Feel free to PM if this is too OT.

triceretops
04-09-2005, 03:41 PM
I'm with Maestro on this one. I really don't need rep points as an incentive, but that means that my crits are short, and I'm more of a content editor than anything else. Content editing is rather difficult with partials of novels and incomplete short stories. If I find something written clumbsily, I'll red-flag it for the author.

I think the rep points should go to the more extensive crits that I've seen. I've noticed some very involved copy editing crits from a number of hellaciously bright females in this group, and that line-by-line grammar, sytax, word usuage, and spelling instruction is most valuable for breaking some nasty habits early on, as well as cleaning up a manuscript for submittal purposes. I certainly would benifit from this evaluation, and I'll take advantage of this down the road, I'm sure.

Tri

Maryn
04-09-2005, 07:39 PM
That's a nice thought, Tri. There's a vast chasm between "This totally rocks, don't change a thing except maybe for X" to a line-by-line critique noting every oops and giving instruction on fixes, plus some atta-boys where things really work well.

Maryn, who needs to spend some time adding to people's reputations

zizban
04-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Before the offer, I never thought of going in there, but now that I have, I'm enjoying it. Its interesting seeing how other people write. Dawno, if you want to "beta" test a work of mine, you can. I have a whole novel written waiting.

Dawno
04-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Before the offer, I never thought of going in there, but now that I have, I'm enjoying it. Its interesting seeing how other people write. Dawno, if you want to "beta" test a work of mine, you can. I have a whole novel written waiting.

zizban, there's a lot of advice here at AW about writing, but I haven't seen any yet on what is expected of a beta (makes sense, it's a writers' board not a readers') and I've never done it. I've got 40 years of reading behind me and a degree in English Lit. as credentials...that's it.

How 'bout you email me and let me know what you expect from a beta reader? If I think I can meet those expectations we can go from there offline (i.e., correspond via email on the details). I'm willing to give it a try if you are.

JennaGlatzer
04-10-2005, 05:47 AM
Hey now, I said 10 free points, not 30! :poke:

jdkiggins
04-10-2005, 06:00 AM
:wag: Jenna.
I needed a :poke: to get over to SYW anyway. There's some great writing over there, everyone. Head over and check it out.