Status
Not open for further replies.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
When I first started freelancing in the '80s, I self-generated virtually all of my topics. Now that I'm in V2.0 of my career, I've managed to link up with several regional publications. I'm still self-generating ideas and sending out queries, but I'm also getting more and more assignments. Most are on topics that appeal to me, but some are ho-hum (although I have no problem doing them for the $$). It's nice to have the semi-security of some regular work.

That made me think...how do other freelancers feel about regular assigned work vs. self-generated topics? Do you have a strong preference for one over the other? Is the guaranteed money worth working on a topic in which you might have no interest? Or would you rather focus on querying topics that are closer to your heart, even tho' acceptance is a question mark?

Myself, I think I can adapt to most assigned topics because I was a news stringer for several years once upon a time. After you've covered enough village board and school board meetings, NOTHING else can ever be quite as boring.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I work mostly from assignment and don't query much. The advantage is that I don't spend a lot of time and effort looking for work. The disadvantage is that some of the topics are real yawners. But freelance writing is my business and in every business there are some real yawners. Overall, I'm happy to have arrived at a place where people seek me out to write for them rather than the other way around.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer assignments, but aren't always lucky enough to get them. It seems that even if I think the subject is going to be boring, I end up getting into it. I can learn new things and meet interesting people, which is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.