Any Great Recipes For Key Lime Pie?

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I was wondering if any of you fine people have a great recipe for making a key lime pie? I know the original one with the condensed milk, egg yolks, sugar and lime juice but was wondering if there's one that has more stuff to it. The several times I've tried to make it....it just tastes blah. I was thinking about adding some Cool Whip or something to the recipe. There's got to be something better out there. Any ideas?:)

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Dumb question, but are you using fresh squeezed key lime juice? I think you need about a dozen of those little buggers to get enough juice.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
When I went to Key West I made it my mission to sample every Key Lime Pie I could find. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that none could compare to the Key Lime Pie that I make. This is from Martha Stewart and it is beyond compare. I have used real Key Limes and regular limes and both are excellent.

Graham Cracker Crust
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
5 1/3 Tbs (2/3 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 Tbs sugar
pinch salt

Filling
4 egg yolks slightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup freshly squeezed Key lime juice
2 1/4 tsp grated Key lime zest
1 1/2 cups heavy (whipping) cream

Topping
3/4 cup whipping cream
dash vanilla
sugar to taste (aprox 2 tsp)

Preheat oven to 375

Combine crust ingredients, mix well, press into butter 8" pie plate and bake for aprox 15 minutes or til slightly browned (watch this carefully remove if browning too fast). Let cool completely on rack.
*Note* sometimes I do something very unMartha like and just buy a crust.

Filling.
In the top of a dble boiler, combine the yolks, sugar and lime juice and stirring constantly, cook the mixture over moderate heat for about 10 minutes (this sometimes takes longer for me) until it coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and add the zest. Chill til the mixture thickens but don't let it get stiff.

Whip 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream to soft peaks and fold it into the filling. Spoon into the baked crust and chill covered for 24 hours. To serve whip the remaining cream with sugar and vanilla and pipe on top.

*This is serve-able if you make it in the morning and have for dinner that evening, but it really does taste best if it's made the day before.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a while since I looked, but doesn't the "Learn Writing with Uncle Jim" thread have a recipe for Key Lime pie?

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's been a while since I looked, but doesn't the "Learn Writing with Uncle Jim" thread have a recipe for Key Lime pie?

I must have missed it. When I have ever been in that thread I had writing on the brain so I probably looked right over it. I'll have to check it out. thanks.

Kika, thanks for the recipe. Maybe the whipping cream will make the whole thing different. I use fresh limes but something always seems to be missing. This sounds like something good to try. My lime tree is going crazy and I feel a need for pie!:D

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
We can't get Graham crackers here. How do you think it would be with some other kind of cookie crust? Like a plain sugar cookie, maybe?

I would think that any cookie like crust would work. I know here you can buy a shortbread cookie crust. I can't imagine it would taste anything but good.:)

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too, but since I can get a second or fourth opinion... :D

Thanks for chiming in. :) Limes here are cheap, plentiful, and taste beautiful. I love anything lime. :D

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
We can't get Graham crackers here. How do you think it would be with some other kind of cookie crust? Like a plain sugar cookie, maybe?

I've also made this with pie pastry (just baked the pastry shell) which is wonderful as well. I think that the sugar cookie crust - or something with coconut or perhaps almonds would be terrific as well. Can you get British products? Maybe a Peak Frean Digestive cookie crust would work?

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Note* sometimes I do something very unMartha like and just buy a crust.

Well, sometimes you just have to be practical. And that's a good thing. :D

(Besides, we can't be like Martha all the time - for starters, some of us are men. :) )

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I've also made this with pie pastry (just baked the pastry shell) which is wonderful as well. I think that the sugar cookie crust - or something with coconut or perhaps almonds would be terrific as well. Can you get British products? Maybe a Peak Frean Digestive cookie crust would work?
Coconut. Yum! *smacks lips* Now you're just giving me ideas! *salivates* Coconut and lime go so incredibly well together. I might just have to develop some kind of coconut/sugar cookie based pie crust just for this, you evil, um, person!

No, no Peak Frean brand anything. But there are similar enough products that it's not much of an issue. :)
Refrigerated store bought pie crust rocks. :e2headban
See, now you're just irritating me. ;)

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
It's a different variety of lime. You know how you've got golden delicious apples and red delicious? Same thing but with limes.

I'm not sure if I've ever had a key lime - probably not - so I can't tell you what the taste or texture differences are.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Can I ask a stupid question?

Thankyou

What's a Key Lime?

key%20limes.jpg

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I have a recipe for key lime pie that has nuts and coconut in it, as well as cool whip. Do you want me to post it?

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Really? That's what our limes look like. Ours are shaped a bit like eggs but not quite as oval and about the same size, and the yellower they are (within reason), the sweeter and juicier they are. They don't have the funny little end that the limes in Canada have. You mean ours are key limes? Is that possible?

Elaine, yes, please! :D

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Really? That's what our limes look like. Ours are shaped a bit like eggs but not quite as oval and about the same size, and the yellower they are (within reason), the sweeter and juicier they are. They don't have the funny little end that the limes in Canada have. You mean ours are key limes? Is that possible?

Elaine, yes, please! :D

It sounds like you have key limes. I have a persian lime tree but they are still good to use. Both lime trees seem to produce limes all year round, at least here in central Fl. All this talk of pie has my mouth watering.

Elaine, please post your recipe. I'm into gathering all I can. Like I said, my tree is going crazy so there's enough limes to make many pies. To bad I can't give everyone some. :D

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Yeah, there was an extra bit in there, Joyce. Try this.

http://floridakeysrecipes.info/2007/03/18/manny-isas-key-lime-pie/

As a side note, our lime tree is still too young to bear fruit, so we still have to buy our limes. Our lime tree was grown from seed and should be old enough in another year or two. I'm looking forward to it. :) I love limes!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, there was an extra bit in there, Joyce. Try this.

http://floridakeysrecipes.info/2007/03/18/manny-isas-key-lime-pie/

As a side note, our lime tree is still too young to bear fruit, so we still have to buy our limes. Our lime tree was grown from seed and should be old enough in another year or two. I'm looking forward to it. :) I love limes!

Especially with some tequila added........yummy!:D I didn't realize till a couple of years ago that limes were one of the only citrus trees that you could grow from seed. I had thought they all needed to be grafted. Now I'm longing for a piece of pie and a margarita!

Thanks Richard for fixing the link.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?