Pre-release crazies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
My first novel (Evernight) comes out in just under three weeks, on May 27. I was warned by a couple of people that, in the month before release, I would go a wee bit nuts, and I thought, oh, that's silly.

And, of course, now I am FREAKING OUT.

I am convinced that people will simultaneously not buy the book AND hate it. I freak out with every review, even though thus far they've all been good. I am biting my nails. I'm not sleeping well. I don't know WHAT I am so crazed about, but oh, I am.

I don't mean to whine -- a couple years ago I would've killed to have this "problem" -- but I also don't want to end up yanking out all my hair before May ends. I know many posters here have made through their own first (and second, and third, etc.) releases; do you guys have any stress-beating tips you could share?

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Switch to decaf? :p

I'm horrible at kicking stress. But hey, congrats for the imminent release :)

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
My second book is coming out at the end of the month, too. I'm working on the third and polishing the blog -- that's helped me quite a bit in keeping my eyes on the long view.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Many congratulations! The books look great, very nice covers. With nice covers, you're already a step ahead.

Well, having never had this problem, I can only speculate about stress-controlling tactics. Maybe just keep reminding yourself that this is a very special time in your life, the attainment of a goal that so many long for and so few obtain. Allow yourself to enjoy every moment. Remember, you can always descend into worry and spazdom later, after the champagne flows. ;)

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
Um, well I tell myself that some people will like it, some people will hate and most people will not even know it exists. I don't lose sleep over a book; it's not that important.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I know exactly what you're feeling and I felt the same way, and still do, although my book has been out for 3 months now, and in publishing that's like 3 years. Just try and take control of the things you can take control of--like setting up readings or visiting blogs or things like that. The busier I am, the less I worry.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I don't mean to whine -- a couple years ago I would've killed to have this "problem" -- but I also don't want to end up yanking out all my hair before May ends. I know many posters here have made through their own first (and second, and third, etc.) releases; do you guys have any stress-beating tips you could share?
Worry about the launch instead.:D The release date of my novel didn't stress me out but having to talk to people about my book, read from it and socialize at an event where all eyes were on me, drove pretty much everything else out of my mind - including the release date. Oh, and lots of wine helps too.
Linnea

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Become a Buddhist? Ok well maybe that's a bit radical but reflecting on their Noble Truths-particularly:

2nd: Suffering arises from attachment to desired outcome
3rd: Suffering ceases when attachment to outcome ceases

couldn't hurt. Or more simply put (and one of my favorite quotes)

"Worry is like a rocking chair; it gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere." -Evan Esar

FWIW- I'm really looking forward to reading this book. Gothic, boarding school, vampires-what's not to love? I have to say that my daughter and her friends just devour fantasy/horror YA. Great timing on your part.

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
I thought the month after was even weirder than the month before, in a slightly anti-climactic way...

Status
Not open for further replies.