• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Sentence fragment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a fast paced mystery using short choppy sentences. After re-reading the first draft, I have noticed that some (Just a couple actually) of the choppy sentences are actually sentence fragments. The problem is they work. Most of the people I've had read the draft skip right past them without even noticing that they are fragments. Is it sometimes ok to use sentence fragments? Or is it a hard and fast rule?

Richard

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely okay in popular fiction. Frag away!

Maryn, fragment lover

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
If it isn't okay I am in serious trouble! In fiction sentence fragments are not only okay, they can also improve upon the narrative.

maggieuc

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a fast paced mystery using short choppy sentences. After re-reading the first draft, I have noticed that some (Just a couple actually) of the choppy sentences are actually sentence fragments. The problem is they work. Most of the people I've had read the draft skip right past them without even noticing that they are fragments. Is it sometimes ok to use sentence fragments? Or is it a hard and fast rule?

Richard

It's perfectly acceptable!!!

Starwise

Debut Urban Fantasy Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pierreroustan.spaces.live.com
To me, sentence fragments are like chocolate chip cookies. They're so easy to eat up, they taste great, they look good, but an overabundance of them can kinda get you sick :)

eveningstar

circus girl without a safety net
Registered
Reaction score
To me, sentence fragments are like chocolate chip cookies. They're so easy to eat up, they taste great, they look good, but an overabundance of them can kinda get you sick :)

This is truth. And makes me want cookies. Mmm... cookies.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
Frag away, my friend. They can be very useful.

Last edited:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Yep. No prob--as long as they serve a purpose and are not just a bad habit. Fragments are like a special hammer stroke, most effective if not used for steady pounding. I've noticed that it is a common unconscious habit for some people to tack a frag on the end of a paragraph too often. If there is a pattern, break the pattern, not the sentence. Rules are made to be broken, but so are habits. ;)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

Richard

If they work, what's the problem?

Who says you can't write sentence fragments? I do that. All the time.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow, I get the feeling everyone thinks. Sentence fragments are alright.

Richard

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Sentence fragments are alright. ;) Press on!

terry

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.riverofinnocents.com
Sentence fragments are all right. Sometimes.

But if you're feeling bad about them, or you're too conflicted, go ahead and take them out and see if you can't do something as good or better. When in doubt, trust standard English. Besides, the additional time spent on a paragraph can often make it a little better, provided you don't lose any authenticity from the original tone.

Sadie7th

Registered
Reaction score
If you know that you're writing a fragment and you mean to, then I think that they are okay-if you don't use too many of them.

I try to teach my 7th grade students not to use them at all. I do this because they are low level students and don't know the difference between a sentence and a sentence fragment most of the time. We drill subject and predicate!!!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Be careful. Too many fragments could actually affect things. Even slow things down. You would need to do something about it. Such as defrag your manuscript.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.