Your Favorite Charity

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Do you have a pet charity? Something that sparks your passion to help others? A movement where you contribute your time or prayers or money?

Tell us about it!

"Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds."

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Just one? I have three favorites.. all equal.

Make A Wish
Jimmy Fund (Dana Farber)
Local Heroes ( provides wishlist items to servicemen and women)

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I keep telling myself I want to start donating to a charity, but it seems like I come up short on funds every time I do.

IF I ever do, I'll probably go with the Jimmy Fund. I've been on their website a few times and I think what they are doing is awesome.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
I keep telling myself I want to start donating to a charity, but it seems like I come up short on funds every time I do.

IF I ever do, I'll probably go with the Jimmy Fund. I've been on their website a few times and I think what they are doing is awesome.

James, the nice thing with charities is there are many ways to help
if you can't donate funds. They run many events a year and you could
donate time, an item for auction. Time and service is as important
as money.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
James, the nice thing with charities is there are many ways to help
if you can't donate funds. They run many events a year and you could
donate time, an item for auction. Time and service is as important
as money.

I thought about that too. I even inquired about doing "Big Brothers, Big Sisters" but then when it came down to it, I just felt guilty. Why? Because I am divorced and don't see my kids everyday and I feel guilty that I would be spending time with someone ELSE'S kid when I could just spend more time with my own.

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
1. The American Cancer Society- because they helped my bro-in-law very, very much.

2. American Veterans of War- because they need our help.

3. St. Judes- because they help thousand's upon thousand's of children daily and one of my neices.

Last edited:

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Why yes, yes I do. Lenox Hill Neighborhood House gets most of my time, money and effort. I'm on the board. We also support a whole bunch of other charities including:
Equality Now
Riverkeeper
The Doe Fund
World Wildlife Fund
Episcopal Charities

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Samaritan's Purse. They're almost always first to put boots on the ground after a natural disaster, no matter where it happens in the world. And although they're an arm of Franklin (son of Billy) Graham's ministry, they offer help freely to all, regardless of religion (or not). Mighty cool.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
Just one? I have three favorites.. all equal.

Make A Wish
Jimmy Fund (Dana Farber)
Local Heroes ( provides wishlist items to servicemen and women)

I can google them, but maybe you can tell me, Jongfan, what is the Jimmy Fund and do you have a link for Local Heroes?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Okay, my turn. The major charity I support is Free Wheelchair Mission. If you click the link and watch the video on their home page you can see why. 3 years ago in China I banged my head against walls, ceilings, and every other roadblock trying to get a wheelchair for a 10-year-old girl with cerebral palsy who had spent her entire life in a baby's crib. I manipulated, I connived, I offered money, and I finally got one. The major sticking point for most chairities was that they thought the wheelchair had to be "FITTED" and they couldn't spare anyone with expertise, and they didn't want to just give me a chair. WTF did that little girl care about fitted? She'd never sat up, never been outside the single room she was confined to. About a year ago I discovered Free Wheelchair Mission. The guy who started it truly understands the practical necessities involved in getting wheels for someone who really needs it. He's an engineer, and he designed a basic, rugged, all-purpose wheelchair that can be manufactured for under $50. They have now grown so much that they are distributing wheelchairs all over the world to the poorest of the poor.

We also try to support a local organization that gives shelter, education, and support to single moms in need.

And then there's Child's Play, which is just for fun. :) (They raise money to buy gaming equipment for children in hospitals... My husband is a game programmer, so this one's sort of his.)

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
Hubby and I are big into ELKS. It's all about doing stuff for Veterans and kids. Why? Hubby is a disabled vet & cannot work. He is the state chair for Veterans. He puts in damn near his 40hrs a week getting funds, donating things to VA hospitals etc. Even having a drink or a burger at an Elks lodge puts money towards needy places. I don't do pull tabs but even that gambling money goes somewhere. This weekend we are going to ready the youth camp. It's awesome - they send kids that would never be able to go to camp otherwise - & its free for them. Memorial day we'll be BBQing at the VA hosp. Awesome people! Look into lodges in your towns people :D

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I thought about that too. I even inquired about doing "Big Brothers, Big Sisters" but then when it came down to it, I just felt guilty. Why? Because I am divorced and don't see my kids everyday and I feel guilty that I would be spending time with someone ELSE'S kid when I could just spend more time with my own.

So why not do that? Consider your family your charity. It would be time well spent. :)

But I would like to reiterate that money is not a necessity for supporting a charity. The Free Wheelchair Mission head office is about an hour away, and last Christmas they mentioned that they were a little overwhelmed. So I sent an email and volunteered my time. I drove down and spent a day stuffing envelopes. A simple thing, but they were really happy to see me. :)

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score

I often take my kids with me to volunteer.

samgail

poll dancer
Registered
Reaction score
The Jimmy Huega vertical express through the Jimmy Huega center for multiple sclerosis is our favorite fund raiser. These people are so great and do so much for people with MS. They are part of a coalition that includes the MS society. These groups raise money and ALL of it is spent locally helping people with MS.
http://www.verticalexpress.org/

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Oh - okay -

Make A Wish - because they give dying children a reason to smile, even if it is only for a short time.

ASPCA - Because of the care they give to abused and neglected animals, the time they put into healing these animals, and the programs they use to make sure these animals can go into forever homes.

St. Jude's - Because they don't turn any sick kids away, no matter how much or little a family can afford to pay. They are leading the way in research and have raised the survival rates for many children's cancers. I haven't had to use them (there but for the grace of God) - but you never know...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Starlight Starbright Children's Foundation
Children's Wish Foundation
Muskoka Literacy Council
Ontario Humane Society
Herizon House Women's and Children's Shelter

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good thread! And just a repeat from my post in T&D, here's mine:

Feed The Children. No child should go hungry etc...This non-profit international org has one of the lowest administrative expenses going. Almost all monies go to the children to supply. Not only do they help millions of children and families who lack food, meds, clothing, schooling, shelter etc due to poverty war, famine...etc.. and provide, they take it a step further by going beyond to help these children and families move forward and become more self-suffient members of their communities.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I have a soft spot for donating to AW. The site isn't on a world altering mission, but it's provided huge benefits to many of us--for free.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
The Jimmy Fund is a New England Charity that provides support for both children and adults battling cancer. They run events such as walks, fundraisers and charity drives, throughout the year. You can check them out here : http://www.jimmyfund.org/eve

Local Heroes is more of a private organization run by families and volunteers with relatives active in the military. We gather donations of items the soldiers wish for and ship packages filled with things such as cd's, lip balm, shampoos, sports clothing, soap, local news papers, etc. Many of the volunteers spend a tremendous amount of time gathering donated items, getting businesses to contribute for postage and such.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I volunteered with the CANTER organization here in Michigan (though they're present in several states, it started here). They help rescue racing Thoroughbreds from going to meat buyers when their careers are finished (or from racing in increasingly smaller races until they break down).

Every weekend we'd scour the back side of the track taking listings on horses the trainers were ready to sell and offering to buy (at just above meat prices) the horses that were injured. We also had an agreement with Michigan State University Vet hospital to do a certain amount of pro bono surgeries on the injured horses...after that they did them at a reduced price. We transferred a lot of horses from the track to new homes. It was very rewarding.

Unfortunately, the track closed this year so we're kind of up in the air, waiting to see if they open a new one elsewhere (probably back in Detroit).

But just like any volunteering with animal organizations, I ended up bringing one home. A beautiful, and completely insane, grandson of Secretariat. :)

CANTER

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Our local food pantry is a place to which I've devoted time. It's so important to help feed those who are hungry within our own communities.

I also support, when I can, Children's Miracle Network and Special Olympics. The National MS Society (raising funds for multiple sclerosis research and such) also makes me sit up and take notice, as my dad is one who suffers from the disease.

Last edited: