PDA

View Full Version : Do you name names?

gettingby
05-08-2008, 06:25 PM
If an agent requests more from you, but ask if other agents are also reviewing your work, do you name names or is this simply a yes or no question? Agent did not ask for an exclusive, just wants to know if others are looking. I think my possible agent list is quite impressive, but is it better not to say who is on it? Also, this new agent is super and maybe my top choice. What would you do?

James81
05-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I would probably answer the question as it was posed to me.

"Are other agents reviewing your work?" -- Yes, I have x other agents looking at my work right now, and x amount of queries about to be sent.

"Who else is reviewing your work?" -- X from X agency is reviewing right now, along with....

In short, answer the question as it it posed to you. If they want more info, they'll respond back with more questions.

gettingby
05-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks, James.
I wasn't asked who, just if. Do you really think I should say how many other agents have it and how many queries I have sent? I want to be very careful with this one. Truth is about 10 agents have asked for it. Is that number so high that it could be a turn off? And my query number if higher. Thanks again for your help.

mysterygrl
05-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks, James.
I wasn't asked who, just if. Do you really think I should say how many other agents have it and how many queries I have sent? I want to be very careful with this one. Truth is about 10 agents have asked for it. Is that number so high that it could be a turn off? And my query number if higher. Thanks again for your help.

I would just say "other agents are reviewing the manuscript." That's an honest answer. You don't know how an agent might react to the fact that 10 other agents are reviewing your work. (Congrats on the interest.)

Smiling Ted
05-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I've been asked, and told the truth - yes, other agents have the full.
However, I wouldn't be comfortable saying which ones. Really, that's none of this agent's business.

Maryn
05-09-2008, 12:41 AM
I agree with Ted. Which agents have it isn't within this agent's "need to know" purview. I think I'd not name them even if specifically asked.

After all, I don't tell the painting contractor who else I got estimates from, or tell the sales person what other stores I've looked at. Let them offer me their best deal and sell me on what they can do for me, if they want my business, you know?

Maryn, tough customer