My husband the cook and his secret salad dressing.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
My husband recently created the most addictive salad dressing I've ever had and he won't give up the recipe. :rant:

All I know for certain are two of the ingredients which include Cavender's Greek Seasoning and Olive Oil. He refuses to tell me the rest. I've tried everything including seduction and failed.

One day, I tried guessing at the ingredients while he was gone. It was a disaster. I nearly choked on whatever it was that I made. Too bad I threw it all away. I could have sold it as an external hemorrhoidal ointment.

My husband has a gift. He can make a great dish from out of his own creative thinking. When it comes to cooking, there is at least one thing I can do better than him. I can make gravy without lumps. :D

What is your level of culinary talent? Are you like me and have to follow a recipe or are you able to make a dish from your own creativity?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Cavender's Greek Seasoning
This stuff is the best. Of course, I now buy the version without salt so I can vary the amount to taste...

The real question is, what does he use as the anti-separation agent/emulsifier? That's really the key.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hello SPMiller, :)

I just asked my husband what he uses to "keep it all together" and he said, "Everything has a price." .... smarty pants. :D

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Hmmmm, does he use Dijon mustard as an emulsifier? That's my first guess. For a starting point, I'd probably try a basic vinaigrette recipe and then add the Greek seasoning. Now I'm intrigued!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Whatever it is, it sounds good. My mother was a total southern cook. She rarely followed a recipe and that's who I learned from. I just throw things together and rarely measure anything unless it's a cake. I'm big on spices and just keep "dumping" them in until I'm happy with the taste. My family eats alot of mystery meals that I give names to. I love to cook and my butt shows it!:D

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Gehanna, could he be sneaking in a pinch of sugar?

I tend to cook by taste and feel. Mr T-R seems to prefer the things that I cobble together from what I find in the pantry over prepared recipes.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello SPMiller, :)

I just asked my husband what he uses to "keep it all together" and he said, "Everything has a price." .... smarty pants. :D

Sincerely,
Gehanna

I say you pay the man (and have a darn good time at it.)

Then report back here. ;)

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to give it a whirl.

I'm betting some fresh squeezed lemon juice, a couple of smashed garlic cloves, perhaps an egg yolk or a dollup of Greek yoghurt emulsified with some good olive oil. I would also add some fresh oregano, tarragon or even mint if I had it.

As for my own talents, I make up things on the spot and except for a few really spectacular failures, most turn out very well.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I'm curious about this salad dressing now... I'm looking forward to the results. :D

I follow recipes (sort of) the first time I make something new, but always make variations and modifications to suit my taste. But I also have a tendency of throwing things together as I think they'll work. Most of the time, it works, and only occasionally does it flop.

My brothers can't follow a recipe to save their lives, but cook by smell. You know, opening a jar and taking a whiff and tossing stuff in. It also works. They don't make spectacular food, but it's definitely edible to enjoyable. :) My sister is the same as me. I think it all comes from having to protect ourselves from our mother's cooking. :D

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I'd also like to know the recipe.

I experiment with different pancake recipes. I know it sounds simple, but it's an art.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I do the same thing as L.M. Ashton. I follow the recipe the first time through, then start tweaking. I consider myself an okay cook, not great, but good enough to ensure that the results are edible most of the time.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
You're right, Pam... it seems pancakes would be simple, but they're not. There's little worse than sitting down to a pile of 'cakes that look all fluffy and light and having them turn to lead weight in your gut.

Now... if you like garlic... I've got a recipe for something we like to call 'Atomic Salad Dressing...'

But I'm wanting that recipe of Mr. Gehanna's...

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Mustard is a great emulsifier, and fresh garlic is an exceptional ingredient, but I'm waiting to see if there's any twist to his recipe I haven't considered yet ;)

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
When my husband gets home today, I'm going to have him read your responses. There's power in numbers. :D

I have a feeling that kikazaru may be very close and possibly spot on for the ingredients. We'll see if we can get my husband to confess.

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, :)

The reason it took me so long to get back with the recipe is because my streak of accident prone actions continue. Because this is a cooking forum, I'll not post the details of the incident here. I'm trying to practice a bit of etiquette.

I was able to get a partial confession from my husband. By partial I mean he told me the ingredients but, not the measurements. This is not because he was being stubborn. It is because he cooks by taste.

There is no name for this recipe other than perhaps that stuff. This is because I will say, "Hey honey, will you make some more of that stuff again?" :D

Please keep in mind that we eat some strange things in Kentucky although, possum stew and road kill have not been on our personal menu. Those of you who are seasoned cooks ... lol, sorry I just couldn't resist the pun. Yep, I'm easily amused.

Anyway, for those of you who are seasoned cooks, let me know what you think of my husband's recipe. You can be honest with your reaction. It sounded so gross to me that I thought he was lying!! lol

The measure to taste recipe for That Stuff:
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Cavender's Greek Seasoning
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Lemon Juice
  • Ground Mustard
  • Green Olive Juice
  • Salt and Pepper
Next time, he wants to use Dijon as per MeowGirl's post.

The salad contains:
  • Iceberg Lettuce
  • Walnuts
  • Boiled Eggs
  • Green Olives
  • Green Onion
  • Shredded Cheese of Choice
  • Pepperoncini Peppers
  • Croutons of Choice
  • Parmesan cheese
It really is very good but, I must warn you. If you eat this you'll become a household weapon of chemical warfare. Heh, so much for my etiquette.

Sincerely,
Gehanna