PDA

View Full Version : "I finally figured out, the only reason to be alive...

Upbeat
05-08-2008, 02:32 AM
"is to enjoy it." Quote by Rita Mae Brown
...hard to do for most folks it seems; yet some deal with trials, tribulations and such, better than others.
What, then, does it take to face challenges in today's world?
Pioneers and those before, dealt with horrendous challenges compared to those of our modern world loaded with convenience.
So now what does it take to deal with far different challenges?
Attitude, degree of courage, perspective, sense of humor - what?

Cthulhu
05-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Apathy. A healthy dose of not caring makes life in society so much less stressful. Of course, it's not the angsty, depressing brand of apathy I speak of, it's the pleasant, enviable, care-free apathy.

Also, the ability to laugh at yourself, even when you don't do anything funny or stupid, is essential.

kct webber
05-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Apathy. A healthy dose of not caring makes life in society so much less stressful. Of course, it's not the angsty, depressing brand of apathy I speak of, it's the pleasant, enviable, care-free apathy.

I agree. My philosophy: If you can effect it, do; if you can't, fuck it.

Pamster
05-08-2008, 04:55 PM
I agree. My philosophy: If you can effect it, do; if you can't, fuck it.

I agree with this philosophy, it's the only way to deal with all that BS going on in the world we can't effect no matter what we do, but little things we can do like recycling and buying things second hand I like to do to help out. :D

Upbeat
05-08-2008, 08:50 PM

Also, the ability to laugh at yourself, even when you don't do anything funny or stupid, is essential.

I especially agree with 'the ability to laugh at yourself'! So many folks take themselves far too seriously. I once heard a carpenter working next door tell his helper, "Everything isn't about you, you know."

ACEnders
05-08-2008, 10:15 PM
You know, just the other day my husband was telling me to just enjoy life. I tend to get stressed out too easily and to make things harder than the need to be.

I'm working on it.

Most of the time, I'm a bubbly, happy person.

The rest of the time, I'm exactly the opposite.

Just enjoy life. Have fun. Make light of the worst situations. That's not to say ignore them or to not appreciate the gravity of them. But remember that there are other's out there worse off than you. look at all you have, the people in your life, and just have fun.

James81
05-08-2008, 10:38 PM
I have a host of quotes in my cell phone that I put into the notepad of my phone whenever something strikes me as a great quote.

One of those quotes is "The meaning of life is to live it."

SpookyWriter
05-09-2008, 01:13 AM
I'm not allowed to die until I pay up my tax bill.

Upbeat
05-09-2008, 04:43 AM
I'm not allowed to die until I pay up my tax bill.

Good Grief!!! Then, by all means - take your vitamins!

Upbeat
05-09-2008, 04:44 AM
I have a host of quotes in my cell phone that I put into the notepad of my phone whenever something strikes me as a great quote.

One of those quotes is "The meaning of life is to live it."

I do that, too & the one you mention is one of the best.

Cthulhu
05-09-2008, 05:27 AM
Make light of the worst situations.
I'll match this and raise you a "Make light of the best situations."

Melisande
05-09-2008, 09:15 AM
One of my favourite quotes is "Eat shit or die!"

Which to me simply means; Deal with it!

And I do.

Though I have to agree with

Cranky
05-09-2008, 09:36 AM
...hard to do for most folks it seems; yet some deal with trials, tribulations and such, better than others.
Pioneers and those before, dealt with horrendous challenges compared to those of our modern world loaded with convenience.

What works for me?

Humor, first and foremost. It ranges from the silly to the sarcastic, but it serves me well when the shit starts to pile up too high and smell too nasty.

Resilience. Cultivating the ability to pick yourself up, dust off and keep going is important.

Knowing when it's okay to throw a pity party, and learning to tell the difference between doing that (allowing yourself to feel what you feel, deal with it, and move on) and wallowing in your pain. Also, playing the martyr does no one any favors, least of all yourself.

Having an outlet for stress: a favorite activity or hobby.

steveg144
05-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Simone de Beauvoir said it best: live your life with no "time-outs".

James81
05-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Here's another good one that really helped me through a hard time in my life:

"Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow." --Dorothy Thompson

Upbeat
05-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Simone de Beauvoir said it best: live your life with no "time-outs".

That could be interpreted in a number of ways. Some may think it means to never stop physically laboring.
However, relaxing, thought-provoking observations of our natural world - are important to living one's life.
I like to think that walking the beach observing sandy ant hills with the little creatures scurrying around aimlessly, or, watching greedy seagulls dive to snatch a loon's catch from its beak, or, finding driftwood so beautifully formed, it's good for a room decoration, or...
Never mind - the endless list is just more on my version of "live your life with no 'time-outs".

Melisande
05-10-2008, 05:25 PM
I once read in a book somewhere a quote, and I have no idea who wrote it;

"You entered life crying, while people were smiling around you.
Live your life so that you die smiling, while people cry around you."

I think it is beautiful.

Dario D.
05-10-2008, 08:07 PM
A philosopher trapped in a bottle of Tabasco Sauce would say that it takes two things... 1: the will to put your mind to solving all of life's issues, and 2: the will to apply the conclusions you come up with, with no end to your rope of trial-and-error.

Unfortunately, most people seem content with trying what the world suggests, and inheriting lifestyles that have already been fed into their brain from an outside source. Namely, their solution to overcoming life's issues (in a very general sense, aside from the individual things they do to address individual situations) is sitting on their bunyans, and trying the usual slew of tried-and-true, guaranteed-to-make-you-happy solutions that we all know. AND IT WORKS WONDERS, TOO!! :D Look how happy we all are. (!!!) Right?

I would suggest listening more to the voice in the bottle of Tabasco... also because (referring to the thread title: "I finally figured out, the only reason to be alive..."), to me personally, even Tabasco raw on the tongue tastes better than living the lifestyles of those who don't even seek to feel like they have a reason to live.

Upbeat
05-11-2008, 12:44 AM
A philosopher trapped in a bottle of Tabasco Sauce would say that it takes two things... 1: the will to put your mind the solving all of life's issues, and 2: the will to apply the conclusions you come up with, with no end to your rope of trial-and-error.

Unfortunately, most people seem content with trying what the world suggests, and inheriting lifestyles that have already been fed into their brain from an outside source. Namely, their solution to overcoming life's issues is (in a very general sense, aside from the individual things they do to address individual situations) sitting on their bunyans, and trying the usual slew of tried-and-true, guaranteed-to-make-you-happy solutions that we all know. AND IT WORKS WONDERS, TOO!! :D Look how happy we all are. (!!!)

I would suggest listening more to the voice in the bottle of Tabasco... also because (referring to the thread title: "I finally figured out, the only reason to be alive..."), to me, even Tabasco raw on the tongue tastes better than living the lifestyles of those who don't even seek to feel like they have a reason to live.

I listen 'to the voice in the bottle of Tabasco'! Too many folks try to live the lifestyle of others, ignoring the fact that each of us is uniquely equipped to choose our own.

KTC
05-11-2008, 12:47 AM
I once read in a book somewhere a quote, and I have no idea who wrote it;

"You entered life crying, while people were smiling around you.
Live your life so that you die smiling, while people cry around you."

I think it is beautiful.

I've seen that before too and thought it was great. It was listed as a Persian proverb when I read it... though I don't remember where???

robeiae
05-11-2008, 12:52 AM
I live life to the beat of the Spin Doctors...Two Princes, if you please.

Upbeat
05-11-2008, 12:58 AM
I live life to the beat of the Spin Doctors...Two Princes, if you please.

The 'spin doctors' need medical care.

z10
05-11-2008, 05:26 AM

never look back, never compromise, never moderate

William Haskins
05-11-2008, 05:41 AM

a gun, two cans of silly string, a GMC pacer, the playboy with marilyn monroe in it, the skull of a lemur, one gently used bottle of ranch dressing, a bible hollowed out for your stash, a football autographed by a homeless guy, a glass eye, a real eye and a crock pot that only works on "low".

Cranky
05-11-2008, 05:45 AM
Well, hell. I'm screwed. I'm missing the lemur skull. *snap* Can you get one on Ebay?

Perks
05-11-2008, 05:47 AM
I've got sixty-four lemur skulls, but I think that negates the beneficial aspects...

Cranky
05-11-2008, 05:47 AM
Lend me one? :D