What does "significant" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
There are two threads in the Roundtable at the moment discussing the significance of our writing. I haven't taken part in either but I have read them. A lot of people are discussing their legacies and how their writing affected someone else, and saying that makes their writing significant. Others seem to be talking about the craftmanship of the writing itself, and saying that the quality of the writing makes it significant.

I think it would be interesting to see how people define significance in their own writing. I can honestly see both arguments:

On the one hand, I think a very significant piece of my writing was the essay I wrote for admissions into U Chicago's summer session. The prompt was very boring (tell us about your favorite song/book/author/painter/whatever) so I decided to interpret it differently and describe how a song made me come to terms with my development as a writer and my relationship with my influences.

I told my English teacher, who proofread the essay, that I felt like I was handing the admissions board my bare soul. I think that this is an example of significance of the my-writing-affected-someone sort: it certainly affected the admissions board so much that they sent me my acceptance letter a day after I sent in the application.

On the other hand, I think craftsmanship is very important to determining significance as well. Not so much in a beauty of the phrase standpoint, because I'm not that kind of writer (yet, perhaps... I'm still a little young), but I decided that for Nano 07 I would write a high-concept novel. I got about halfway through before meatspace called, but for a time I was tackling issues like religious persecution, pedophilia and the origin of sin. In other words, I was dealing with things way beyond my maturity level.

I think this is an example of significance of the craftsmanship sort. Although I haven't yet finished the novel, I feel like I was writing about ideas that people all fundamentally worry about (life after death, acceptance, sexuality) and essentially commenting on the nature of religious differences leading to social stratification, etc, etc.

So I guess I wanted to ask how you all gauged the significance of your writing. I assume most of you are going to answer "it's a mixture of both" because that's always what happens, but I'd really love to see some thoughtful responses. And maybe some Lolcats -- I mean, it's bound to happen, right?

;)

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't answer either question, because I wasn't really sure how to define "significant" either. I'm not sure I've written anything truly significant yet, or if I have, I'm apparently unsure how to judge it.

I was hoping your post would help me figure mine out. Unfortunately, not quite, because I'm not sure I write about heavy topics like religious persecution and the origin of sin. I still can't decide what significant means, other than "timeless and enduring". Maybe I'm just immature. I'll post again in a couple years?

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
Significant means that it influences me to change my beliefs and values.

I generally see significance not as a binary quality (i.e. something is either significant or it is not), but as a quality of degree. A thing can be more significant or less. The significance of a thing depends on the importance of the beliefs and values it influenced me to adopt or abandon.

Dale

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
ya know, I just write and cash the checks. It it makes a difference in my bank account, then it is significant to me.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
"Significant" is about perception. Whether or not something is significant has little to do with the writer and much more to do with the reader.

Aglaia

Registered
Reaction score
The most significant unpublished work I've read (written by friends or students) has been an exploration of something deeply personal and sometimes difficult to share. That's not to say that it's always autobiographical - it can simply be an emotion they're capturing in the work, or an understanding of some piece of the world they didn't before - but there's an inherent truth to it that obviously comes from within the author in a way that is lacking in insignificant pieces.

I think to be truly "significant" (which I don't think I've actually reached myself), one needs to combine that with the rest of what makes a successful piece. You know, story, character, good writing, yadda, yadda, yadda...

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
IMO, we don't make our writing significant. Readers do.

I agree with this. I may write something that I feel, personally, is significant, yet someone else may read it and think it is worthless.

It's the reader who makes the 'significant' distinction.

josephwise

Registered
Reaction score
I have a very specific view on this. For me, significance means it develops new vocabulary.

Example: Star Wars was significant because it gave us "The Dark Side" and "May the Force Be With You" and other phrases or concepts that can be used outside of that context, yet still carry a great deal of meaning.

Something can be personally significant, too, in that it conveys to the author a palpable sense of something from which that author may have grown distant. A sign for a concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.