Guilty pleasure TV shows: past or present

Bourgeois Nerd

The writer around the corner
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is Dynasty, but only the first 4 seasons.

It was so full of goofy, dramatic hilarity. One of my favorite moments from that show was this scene where this lady's baby was kidnapped and they corner this crazy woman on a rooftop with the baby. She trips as they're pleading with her to hand the kid back....and the kid sails out of its bunting and over the edge of the building. You see the POV of the people on the ground screaming and the baby sailing through the air, then they cut to the actors' faces on the rooftop. Much crying and angst, then a cop announces on the rooftop that his partner just radioed him. "Sargeant, it wasn't a baby, it was a doll." The camera pans down to a broken doll on top of a police cruiser.

I laughed my ass off. Twisted humor, mess with your mind fun. Good times. Good times.:)

Last edited:

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
Mine is Iron Chef.

I don't cook at all, but I love the competitive environment of Kitchen Stadium. It makes me weak in the knees!

I love you, Mario!!!!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
"Cheers" absolutely fits the guilty pleasure! My tastes have changes through the years, but Cheers is ALWAYS worth lots of laughs.

Bourgeois Nerd

Registered
Reaction score
Oh I love Cheers too. Sam was such a great character. Not nearly as stupid as Diane tried to make him out to be. I thought he was a pragmatist whereas she was more of an idealist.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
The A-Team. Of course, having a crush on Dirk Benedict ever since I was a girl might have something to do with it...

And even though it didn't seem like it at the time, the original Battlestar Galactica. See above. :D

chartreuse

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
General Hospital.

I know, you don't even have to say it. But I started watching over 25 years ago and I just can't break the habit.

Bourgeois Nerd

Registered
Reaction score
General Hospital.

I know, you don't even have to say it. But I started watching over 25 years ago and I just can't break the habit.

I totally LOVED Luke and Laura the first time they were on the show. I couldn't wait to get home from school, watch it, then call my friends and analyze every plot detail. It's funny but I've caught some clips from the late 70s/early 80s on YouTube and I think that the stuff they did then had way more power in the plotting and writing than much of the stuff on network prime time TV these days. They just don't write them like they used to. That couple really had such chemistry.

Hollan

Stage name = Chainsaw Sally
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dreambyday-hollan.blogspot.com
This is embarrassing but I used to love Melrose Place when I was in junior high. Models Inc. too. My sister and I watched every single episode. And it's so stupid! But crazy Kimerbly was always fun. And the last episode of Models Inc. was hilarious!

WannabeWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Here's my TV guilty pleasure.

Fox once aired World's Wildest Police Videos, a series based on a couple of specials like World's Wildest Police Chases and others that show footage of intense police situations. People who see me watch it would wonder what's wrong with me.

Sadly, the producer died accidentally by falling off a cliff.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Northern Exposure--loved that....

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
They're about to cancel mine. It's Moonlight. Although, they went on hiatus during the writers' strike and the first ep when they came back (two weeks ago) was so bad it had me doubting my affections.

Then last weeks' was good again.

And now they're canceling it.

It's probably awful. But I like it anyway.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'll confess too. The first few seasons of The Little House on the Prairie.

chartreuse

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I totally LOVED Luke and Laura the first time they were on the show. I couldn't wait to get home from school, watch it, then call my friends and analyze every plot detail. It's funny but I've caught some clips from the late 70s/early 80s on YouTube and I think that the stuff they did then had way more power in the plotting and writing than much of the stuff on network prime time TV these days. They just don't write them like they used to. That couple really had such chemistry.

I agree - they had some fantastic plots back in the day (I adored all the WSB stuff - Anna, Robert, Sean, etc.) It really is just a shadow of its former self now, but like I said, I'm addicted. Maybe I can blame my Mom - she actually let my sister and I stay home from school for three days to watch Luke and Laura's wedding (this was pre-VCR).

Bourgeois Nerd

Registered
Reaction score
So no junk food for your brain, then, eh? Wow, you must be pretty regular. :)

I do like good shows - Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Cheers, Extras, Curb Your Enthusiasm (a special favorite).

But then, there are times when I just need to zone out, that's when the Dynasty reruns hit. About the same time I crave a Snickers bar.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
The 70's adaptation of Day of the Triffids.

It's 70's BBC sci-fi, so you can guess what it looks like (although the triffids themselves are good). But the post-apocalyptic, survivalist, aspect appeals to a part of me.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
The 70's adaptation of Day of the Triffids.

It's 70's BBC sci-fi, so you can guess what it looks like (although the triffids themselves are good). But the post-apocalyptic, survivalist, aspect appeals to a part of me.

I saw The Day of the Triffids in the theatre in the 60's when I was a young. This was back when theatres still had ushers too.

The theatre gave out pkgs of sunflower seeds to everyone who bought a ticket, and they were labelled as 'Giant Sunflowers'

We planted them in the field just behind our house and they grew to be enormous. They were the biggest I'd ever seen. We were scared to get too close to them.