PDA

View Full Version : Guilty pleasure TV shows: past or present

Bourgeois Nerd
05-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Mine is Dynasty, but only the first 4 seasons.

It was so full of goofy, dramatic hilarity. One of my favorite moments from that show was this scene where this lady's baby was kidnapped and they corner this crazy woman on a rooftop with the baby. She trips as they're pleading with her to hand the kid back....and the kid sails out of its bunting and over the edge of the building. You see the POV of the people on the ground screaming and the baby sailing through the air, then they cut to the actors' faces on the rooftop. Much crying and angst, then a cop announces on the rooftop that his partner just radioed him. "Sargeant, it wasn't a baby, it was a doll." The camera pans down to a broken doll on top of a police cruiser.

I laughed my ass off. Twisted humor, mess with your mind fun. Good times. Good times.:)

soleary
05-08-2008, 02:28 AM
Mine is Iron Chef.

I don't cook at all, but I love the competitive environment of Kitchen Stadium. It makes me weak in the knees!

I love you, Mario!!!!

Snowstorm
05-08-2008, 02:40 AM
"Cheers" absolutely fits the guilty pleasure! My tastes have changes through the years, but Cheers is ALWAYS worth lots of laughs.

Bourgeois Nerd
05-08-2008, 03:14 AM
Oh I love Cheers too. Sam was such a great character. Not nearly as stupid as Diane tried to make him out to be. I thought he was a pragmatist whereas she was more of an idealist.

Serenity
05-08-2008, 03:19 AM

<------------ :D

TheIT
05-08-2008, 03:22 AM
The A-Team. Of course, having a crush on Dirk Benedict ever since I was a girl might have something to do with it...

And even though it didn't seem like it at the time, the original Battlestar Galactica. See above. :D

chartreuse
05-08-2008, 03:40 AM
General Hospital.

I know, you don't even have to say it. But I started watching over 25 years ago and I just can't break the habit.

Bourgeois Nerd
05-08-2008, 03:44 AM
General Hospital.

I know, you don't even have to say it. But I started watching over 25 years ago and I just can't break the habit.

I totally LOVED Luke and Laura the first time they were on the show. I couldn't wait to get home from school, watch it, then call my friends and analyze every plot detail. It's funny but I've caught some clips from the late 70s/early 80s on YouTube and I think that the stuff they did then had way more power in the plotting and writing than much of the stuff on network prime time TV these days. They just don't write them like they used to. That couple really had such chemistry.

Hollan
05-08-2008, 06:50 AM
This is embarrassing but I used to love Melrose Place when I was in junior high. Models Inc. too. My sister and I watched every single episode. And it's so stupid! But crazy Kimerbly was always fun. And the last episode of Models Inc. was hilarious!

WannabeWriter
05-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Here's my TV guilty pleasure.

Fox once aired World's Wildest Police Videos, a series based on a couple of specials like World's Wildest Police Chases and others that show footage of intense police situations. People who see me watch it would wonder what's wrong with me.

Sadly, the producer died accidentally by falling off a cliff.

Shadow_Ferret
05-08-2008, 04:10 PM
I have no guilty pleasures. If I like something, then it's a great show.

Little Red Barn
05-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Northern Exposure--loved that....

Perks
05-08-2008, 04:16 PM
They're about to cancel mine. It's Moonlight. Although, they went on hiatus during the writers' strike and the first ep when they came back (two weeks ago) was so bad it had me doubting my affections.

Then last weeks' was good again.

And now they're canceling it.

It's probably awful. But I like it anyway.

alleycat
05-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Okay, I'll confess too. The first few seasons of The Little House on the Prairie.

chartreuse
05-08-2008, 06:16 PM
I totally LOVED Luke and Laura the first time they were on the show. I couldn't wait to get home from school, watch it, then call my friends and analyze every plot detail. It's funny but I've caught some clips from the late 70s/early 80s on YouTube and I think that the stuff they did then had way more power in the plotting and writing than much of the stuff on network prime time TV these days. They just don't write them like they used to. That couple really had such chemistry.

I agree - they had some fantastic plots back in the day (I adored all the WSB stuff - Anna, Robert, Sean, etc.) It really is just a shadow of its former self now, but like I said, I'm addicted. Maybe I can blame my Mom - she actually let my sister and I stay home from school for three days to watch Luke and Laura's wedding (this was pre-VCR).

maxmordon
05-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Fist of Zen and Wife Swap, now my IQ has fell 10 points...

DWSTXS
05-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Mission Impossible or Time Tunnel

Shadow_Ferret
05-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Mission Impossible or Time TunnelNothing to feel guilty about there. Both fine shows.

TerzaRima
05-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Unsolved Mysteries. Cheeseball, yes.

Bourgeois Nerd
05-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Nothing to feel guilty about there. Both fine shows.

Oh Shadow Ferret - to have your unwavering confidence. ;) Don't you think some shows really are like Cheetos for the mind - Dynasty, for example, or Gomer Pyle?

Shadow_Ferret
05-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Yes, but I don't like those shows. ;)

Bourgeois Nerd
05-08-2008, 10:53 PM
So no junk food for your brain, then, eh? Wow, you must be pretty regular. :)

I do like good shows - Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Cheers, Extras, Curb Your Enthusiasm (a special favorite).

But then, there are times when I just need to zone out, that's when the Dynasty reruns hit. About the same time I crave a Snickers bar.

Bmwhtly
05-08-2008, 11:24 PM
The 70's adaptation of Day of the Triffids.

It's 70's BBC sci-fi, so you can guess what it looks like (although the triffids themselves are good). But the post-apocalyptic, survivalist, aspect appeals to a part of me.

ChaosTitan
05-09-2008, 12:41 AM
America's Next Top Model. 'Cuz they all take themselves So. Seriously.

DWSTXS
05-09-2008, 02:40 AM
The 70's adaptation of Day of the Triffids.

It's 70's BBC sci-fi, so you can guess what it looks like (although the triffids themselves are good). But the post-apocalyptic, survivalist, aspect appeals to a part of me.

I saw The Day of the Triffids in the theatre in the 60's when I was a young. This was back when theatres still had ushers too.

The theatre gave out pkgs of sunflower seeds to everyone who bought a ticket, and they were labelled as 'Giant Sunflowers'

We planted them in the field just behind our house and they grew to be enormous. They were the biggest I'd ever seen. We were scared to get too close to them.

eldragon
05-09-2008, 05:23 AM
Rosanne.

We have the first 5 seasons on dvd and have ordered the 6th.

I didn't watch it that much when it was on, because I worked nights.

I love it.

I love her wit.

The characters are great.

Meerkat
05-09-2008, 05:38 AM
ALL OF YOU need to find better uses of your time.

And was anyone else ticked off that Flava Flave didn't get rid of Serenity last night?

Little Red Barn
05-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Okay, I'll confess too. The first few seasons of The Little House on the Prairie.
Since you confessed, I'll step up and confess too, and I own the whole series.

Meerkat
05-09-2008, 05:54 AM
I thought I recognized your avatar!

GreenFriend
06-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Hello, my name is GreenFriend and I'm addicted to Roseanne.

I'm gonna go watch the Halloween DVD right now! *Zoom*

Mr Flibble
06-01-2008, 12:56 PM
The wrestling

What? Men, muscles, sweat, baby oil. It doesn't get better than that.

sheadakota
06-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Survivor-I've watched every episode but the first- Loved Pearl Island with Rupart!

Also Maimi vice back in the eighties- I had a major crush on Don Johnson

cethklein
06-01-2008, 04:22 PM
The A-Team. I love the show to this day.

Star Trek TNG. I'm not a big Star trek fan actually, but I loved TNG, still do.

Buck Rogers (the late 70s one.) It doesn't get more guilty pleasure than that. Yes it's stupid but it's great. And come on, Wilma.

Duckman. Most people may not remember this show but i do. And now they're finally releasing it on DVD this fall. Crude, but classic.

Kung-fu and Kung-fu The Legend Continues. Awesome shows.

Hercules, Xena, and that Conan tv show. I love old sword and sorcery movies and that translates into my tv favorites too.

highlander the series. Probably my favorite show of all time. And yes I liked the Raven too, if anything just because of Elizabeth Gracen.

maestrowork
06-01-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't watch that much TV these days. And my taste is rather mainstream. Still, in the past I would say Six Million Dollar Man was my guilty pleasure. And the Muppet Show. Yup, that was the highlight of every Saturday evening at my house: The Muppet Show followed by double feature of SMDM and Bionic Woman.

Right now, I'd say my guilty pleasure is Sarah Connor Chronicles, when I do watch it. Lena Headey and Summer Glau kick ass.

Southern_girl29
06-01-2008, 10:32 PM
America's Next Top Model and Little House on the Prairie. I also own some of the DVDs of the different seasons.

I don't really consider Roseanne or my favorite, Golden Girls, as guilty pleasures, because they were well-written.

childeroland
06-01-2008, 10:35 PM
TMZ TV. Living Lohan. Denise Richards. *hangs head in abject shame*

DWSTXS
06-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Becker ( so this is where Hurley-from LOST - got his start!)

cethklein
06-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Becker was classic. House only wishes he was Becker.