Western authors don't have agents

Bonner

Registered
Reaction score
Having been rejected by some of the top agents in NYC, though I did have one request a full manuscript before swatting me down, I elected to try some western writers and their agents.
I consider my novel to be historical fiction but it occurs west of the Mississippi so...
I go to the local library and make a list of Western authors with more than one title published.
Got to Publisher's Marketplace, sign up, and search 37 names. Two have agents listed. None of the others turned up even a close hit. I'm thinking that maybe the western authors are pen names for established writers in other genres. I did notice they tend to use a lot of initials, such as L.L. Foreman, H.B. Broome.
The publishers I saw were recognizable and certainly not vanity publishers.
I've researched author/agent matchs at PM before and almost always had hits. What gives???

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of Western authors probably don't have agents, because it was such a small niche market for so long. A lot of Harlequin authors don't have agents, either; that's changing, but for a long time that was just how the market worked.

Why not search authors who won, say, the WWA Spur Awards in the past 10 years or so and query their agents?

Bonner

Registered
Reaction score
I'll certainly try it. I'm not about to just throw twenty bucks away at PM.

Thanks for the link.

Some of the western writers I culled were fairly well known and some cross the 'bridge' to mainstream historical, like Terry C. Johnston. No agent listed.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the western writers I culled were fairly well known and some cross the 'bridge' to mainstream historical, like Terry C. Johnston. No agent listed.

Well, he died several years ago, so he may well have been part of that unagented old guard.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a few here who sell and like westerns.:
Natasha Kern
Roberta Brown
Meredith Berstein
Irene Goodman
Don D'Dauria
Dorchester Publisher ;)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Searching AgentQuery for western + accepting queries generates 9 hits

Bonner

Registered
Reaction score
Still searching

I went, as recommended to the Spur Awards site and jotted down the title/author. Searching on PM, and only one showed as having an agent. The Don d'Dauria at Dorchester looked interesting.

I'll send off a query. Dorchester appears to be primarily reprints and paperbacks and they say they adhere to the word count stridently. I'm about 5,000 words over but, if they like it, I can edit it.

Its been about a year since I first went into the marketplace looking for an agent for historical fiction. Sent out about a dozen or so and got one NY agent to request the MS but ultimately rejected it. I got pretty down after feeling pretty good about the manuscript request.

Guess I'll get up, dust myself off and have another go.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I went, as recommended to the Spur Awards site and jotted down the title/author. Searching on PM, and only one showed as having an agent.

PM isn't going to have everyone--I'd look in the acknowledgments of books.

But looking at the 2007 Spur winners for adult fiction: Elizabeth Crook's agent is Lisa diMona; Dusty Richards's agent is Cherry Weiner; Tony Hillerman's agent is Ann Elmo. That's three right there.

Bonner

Registered
Reaction score
Well, thanks. I'll be putting some queries together this weekend, then runninng off sample pages at work on Monday. Maybe I'm just having bad karma for using the office copy machine. Ya think??

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Aren't most westerns being written under house names now? I think all of the old timers are gone. Most of the western series being printed in paperback today are adult titles, very little of the Old West mystique any more. My favorite western author today is James Reasoner, the author of over 200 novels, but the majority of his stories are "for hire" work, and under house names. When I started thinking about writing westerns, I picked up some new novels to read, and threw them in the trash after a couple of pages. Went back to the originals, like Max Brand.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Bonner - If you consider your novel historical fiction - why aren't you looking for agents who take historical fiction. I think you'll find a fair number of those on agentquery. Puma

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
Its been about a year since I first went into the marketplace looking for an agent for historical fiction. Sent out about a dozen or so and got one NY agent to request the MS but ultimately rejected it. I got pretty down after feeling pretty good about the manuscript request.

And keep this in mind: sending queries to a dozen agents barely scratches the surface. I write historical fiction and I had to collect 74 or 75 such rejections before someone said yes. My advice would be to send your queries out in batches of five (maybe ten) and tweak your query letter as responses warrant. Quite often it's a weak letter that dooms a submission.

Dust off that list of HF agents and get cracking ;)

Best of luck to you!

Scott

Bonner

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement

I was going along fine, at least dealing with the rejections as part of the program. Once I got a real (and fairly well known) agent to request the entire manuscript, I was feeling pretty good about myself.

Now, I did question why a house that was mostly women and specialized in chick lit was asking for my historical fiction; still, they asked. A month went by and I got a personal letter of rejection instead of the stock one. No explanation or pointers, though.

I had been using my rejects to tailor the query letter and reading every query letter tip I could find. I tried to customize them slightly if I could find something in the agent bio or website that warranted it but did try to stick with a page and a half synopsis, history and spiel.

Granted, I was submitting to only the recommended ones on P&E so I wanted to go straight to the majors. I guess getting a 'request for manuscript' lifted me up higher than it should and the rejection slapped me down pretty hard. Nothing to do now but spend more money on postage.

Its a lot harder to attend to the business end (if there even is one in sight) then to actually put words on paper and endlessly edit them.

I have a two day fishing trip planned with a friend whose cousin is a big cheese at S&S. I'll take the first 50 pages and badger him to recommend me. After all, we'll be stuck on a boat for two days at sea. That's like being in jail with a chance of drowning.