PDA

View Full Version : Packed lunch ideas?

Bubastes
05-07-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm trying to buy fewer lunches and pack more. However, I'm low on ideas for lunches that can freeze well so I can grab and go. Any ideas? I'm thinking burritos, for one. Maybe casseroles packed in individual plastic containers (does anyone have recipes for casseroles that aren't filled with cream-of-whatever soup?). Thanks!

TheIT
05-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Quick lunches are part of the reason I asked for soup recipes. When I make a large pot of soup, I freeze individual portions in those reusable plastic containers for lunches. All I have to do is grab one and take it with me.

Bubastes
05-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Yep, definitely. For soup recipes, have you checked out a book called "Soup and Bread" by Crescent Dragonwagon (yes, that's her name). The recipes aren't what I would call quick and easy, but they are really good.

slcboston
05-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I usually pack my lunch the night before anyway... so whatever I have handy becomes lunch whether it's sandwiches, or leftovers that won't be dinner, or what-not. Somehow the idea of prepping food just to store, just for lunch, seems like a lot more effort than I want to go to over lunch. :)

That said, burritos seem like a good option, or soups. I'm not sure how well lots of things (like pastas) would freeze...

And in the meantime now I'm hungry for some Tex-mex. :D

BenPanced
05-07-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm trying to buy fewer lunches and pack more. However, I'm low on ideas for lunches that can freeze well so I can grab and go. Any ideas? I'm thinking burritos, for one. Maybe casseroles packed in individual plastic containers (does anyone have recipes for casseroles that aren't filled with cream-of-whatever soup?). Thanks!
*discards original reply*

Chili!

katiemac
05-08-2008, 07:14 AM
I pack a bunch of smaller snack items, and usually they don't need freezing/refrigeration beyond a frozen water bottle ... On hand I have a variety of Cliff bars, low-fat cheese sticks, Wheat Thins (already in smaller ziplocs), yogurts, Slimfast shakes, apples, bananas, grapes, carrot sticks. If I'm really adventurous I'll slice up strawberries the night before or pack some hummus or baba ganouj with a whole wheat tortilla.

I've tried bringing sandwiches and salads but never have time in the morning.

ChimeraCreative
05-08-2008, 08:24 AM
I saw an interesting idea on the Canadian food network before I came to Yankee land. ^_^ Put taco burger, cubed tomato, shredded cheese & shredded lettuce in a baggie. Buy a small bag of Doritos or corn chips. Smash up the corn chips in the bag, heat up the burger, dump everything into the Dorito bag and have a taco salad on the run. ^_^

As for freezing stuff, I'm kinda stumped. I've never been in the position to get to stock the freezer up before. O.o

-An

Gehanna
05-08-2008, 04:35 PM
This is a good thread for me to keep my eye on. I want to start taking my lunch to work. The cafeteria is expensive and taking my lunch is one way I can help improve my finances.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Bubastes
05-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I did some massive cooking yesterday and today, and now I have black bean/beef burritos and mushroom/spinach/Italian sausage lasagna in my freezer. That, plus dinner leftovers during the week, should do nicely for a while.

SouthernFriedJulie
05-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Wraps. I love to wrap everything.

Chicken salad freezes well, shredded BBQ, and a ton of other spreadable things. If you can eat it, more than likely you can wrap it.

Use a 3 section container. Freeze the stuff you want to wrap in one section. Put some rolled up flour tortillas in another. Some veggies won't freeze well for the other section, like lettuce, but spinach works as a great sub for it. Just remove the spinach before microwaving at work.

Remove top, microwave until meat/casserole/cat is warm, unroll warmed tortilla, assemble wrap. Eat.

Um. On the burritto thing...be sure to take some Beano to work with you, kk?

stormie
05-11-2008, 12:06 AM
I love pita pockets. Just cut a small portion off the top of one, and using an iced teaspoon or small spoon, place some chicken salad or tuna salad or whatever (shredded bbq beef, cut up veggies combined w/ yogurt, etc) into it. Great one-handed eating at lunchtime! I'm not sure about the freezing part, if they'd thaw well or taste good after being frozen.

truelyana
05-11-2008, 12:09 AM
I usually pack my lunch the night before anyway... so whatever I have handy becomes lunch whether it's sandwiches, or leftovers that won't be dinner, or what-not.

I'm the same, and the sandwich fillings are from anything that is in the fridge. I enjoy creating my lunch the night before, and it's always nice and easy. I eat lots of fruit so, I always have a couple of pieces for breakfast and lunch too. I choose sandwiches instead of main meals as they are light and always get filled with them.

Melisande
05-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Quiches!

My Beloved Hubby loves it!

I usually make one big quiche, and when it is cold I cut it in handy size slices and freeze them individually in plastic bags. He simply grabs one of them from the freezer and brings with him to work. They thaw fairly quickly and he can eat them without any plate or silverware. (My Hubby is a mechanic and where he works there is no pantry or anything)

Here are some good links for recipes;

http://incredibleegg.org/index_v2.php?mcID=1&cID=16

http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/0rec/04quiche.htm

http://basic-recipes.com/r/quiche/index.htm

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I always make the dough in my food processor. Easy as pie!

chartreuse
05-14-2008, 03:23 AM

I don't make a huge deal out of lunch, so some of my standards might not be real satisying to some, but I'll often just take cereal and milk (my favorite lunch, actually - I have an egg for breakfast), or tuna and crackers, or whatever leftovers there are from dinner the night before, or just some cheese and fruit.

Bubastes
05-15-2008, 08:16 PM
OK, now I'm feeling ambitious. I found this great site on how to pack Westernized bento box lunches. Now I have some ideas for the bento that's languishing in my cupboard!

This may be too much effort for me to do every day, but I adore the idea of an elegant lunch break in the middle of the day. There are also ideas on how to pack food to take on an airplane.

http://lunchinabox.net/top-tips/

jennontheisland
05-15-2008, 08:26 PM
I usually just take leftovers of whatever was for dinner the night before.

Cheese and crackers is good too. A bag of Babybel, and a box of crackers can go a long way.

Kitrianna
05-16-2008, 02:08 AM
I used to make mini turkey meatloaves for my Dad (he was on a self restricted diet..low fat, salt, sugar and cholesterol). Also try english muffin pizza sandwiches, that was another favorite of his.Sorry but that's all I can think of. Now days I send the hubs in with either a sandwich or leftover casseroles from the weekend.