Is it okay to email an agent and ask if they prefer mail or email queries?

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
One agency I was looking at had a submissions page but didn't say explicitly whether they wanted only mail subs or accepted both. All the agents have email addresses, so I shot a quick email to the agent asking if email queries are okay or if she preferred mail. She did reply, same day in fact, that she preferred mail queries.

My worry now is, did I just shoot myself in the foot by even asking? Should I not even bother with this query letter? My plan was, if she never responded to my email, I would mail a query anyway, so it's all printed and ready to go.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
You have nothing to lose by sending your snail mail query, so I'd go ahead and send it. She might even remember you in a positive light (you asked what her preference was).

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
One more question that I'll put here just to keep from starting another thread.

I sent a query many months ago to a specific agent at one agency several months ago and got a form letter rejection. I think. I noted that it was rejected on my Excel file, but I didn't make a note as to why. So it was either ignored or form rejected.

OK, all that being said, I think I found another agent within that agency that would be perfect for my book. Is it okay to requery? I've done quite a bit of rewrite on the book since then.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
This was asked in the "Ask the Agent" thread and the answer was it's okay to query another agent.

A caveat: sometimes the same assistant opens the mail for all the agents. On another writer's forum, someone said they did this once (queried different agents at the same agency), and received a letter to the effect of, "we didn't like it the first time and we don't like it the second."

But if you don't query agent 2, for sure they won't take you on. If you do, the worst that can happen is they don't take you on.

Pencilone

Muse Lover
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you could also change the title.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
brinkett said:
This was asked in the "Ask the Agent" thread and the answer was it's okay to query another agent.

I thought I saw the question before, but I couldn't figure out a search term that would come up with anything. Thanks.