I bought a cell phone!

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Whoots! First one, but I need it here in Dublin. I have begun to submit my cv for work and have an agency call tomorrow. The agency already submitted my cv for a role with a telecom.

Now that I got a cell phone, I'll need to figure out how to use it. :roll: Now if I can only figure out how to get ahold of Jimmy, errr...since we are staying at the same place.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you got there safe and ah....sound.

About the phone....you geek......lol.

You be sure to stay in touch, and write when you get a chance. (Me trying to sound like a mother.)

Best wishes for your stay there.......

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
cul8r 4 a guiness

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
What are you doing in Ireland? I thought you were in Texas last.

*realizes he needs a tracker to keep abreast of spooky's whereabouts*
I was in Texas last week. Next week I might pop over to the Netherlands to visit friends.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Whoots! First one, but I need it here in Dublin. I have begun to submit my cv for work and have an agency call tomorrow. The agency already submitted my cv for a role with a telecom.

Now that I got a cell phone, I'll need to figure out how to use it. :roll: Now if I can only figure out how to get ahold of Jimmy, errr...since we are staying at the same place.

Argh. I'm thinking of getting my first cell phone too. I've been fighting that technology since its inception. Sometimes I realize how useful it would be to have one. I was one of the organizers for a conference on the weekend and the whole time instances would come up where a cell phone would have come in handy. I think everybody else on the committee had one but me. If I wanted to contact one of them, I'd have to run through the 700 mile hotel hallways to find them. AND my wife and son were staying in the hotel too... seeing them was just a point of luck since I didn't have a cell phone to connect with them. My entire family has phones... I've always hated them. I suppose what I hate the most is the way some ignorant people use them. I mean, live your life dammit! I hate it when people are with people but they're all speaking to other people on their phones instead of with each other. Yes... this is turning into a rant. But now that I'm considering the cell phone, I have to really think about these morons who use them in checkouts and while they're with friends and in the car and etc, etc, etc. If I DO get one, I will keep it off unless I need to use it. I have one rule with my 12 year-old son when we are together. He can have his cell phone with him, but he can't be 'hanging' with his friends while we are doing something. 1 minute calls is all he's allowed when we are together. My daughter tried once to text at the dinner table. Her phone now stays in her room while we're eating. Spooky... damn you. You were one of the last ones... I feel like we lost another one to the dark side... and here am I considering getting one too. It's a sad world. /rant

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Argh. I'm thinking of getting my first cell phone too. I've been fighting that technology since its inception. Sometimes I realize how useful it would be to have one. I was one of the organizers for a conference on the weekend and the whole time instances would come up where a cell phone would have come in handy. I think everybody else on the committee had one but me. If I wanted to contact one of them, I'd have to run through the 700 mile hotel hallways to find them. AND my wife and son were staying in the hotel too... seeing them was just a point of luck since I didn't have a cell phone to connect with them. My entire family has phones... I've always hated them. I suppose what I hate the most is the way some ignorant people use them. I mean, live your life dammit! I hate it when people are with people but they're all speaking to other people on their phones instead of with each other. Yes... this is turning into a rant. But now that I'm considering the cell phone, I have to really think about these morons who use them in checkouts and while they're with friends and in the car and etc, etc, etc. If I DO get one, I will keep it off unless I need to use it. I have one rule with my 12 year-old son when we are together. He can have his cell phone with him, but he can't be 'hanging' with his friends while we are doing something. 1 minute calls is all he's allowed when we are together. My daughter tried once to text at the dinner table. Her phone now stays in her room while we're eating. Spooky... damn you. You were one of the last ones... I feel like we lost another one to the dark side... and here am I considering getting one too. It's a sad world. /rant
I kind of agree with you. My phone is most often used as an alarm clock.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes... and as someone who also doesn't believe in watches, I was in a pickle trying to follow the schedule this weekend too. Everybody else would look to their cell phones for the time. I'd look to my empty wrist and come up empty. And I couldn't see the sun, so a sundial was out of the question.

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the cellie! Wander over to O'Donohue's Pub for me and have a cold one in celebration!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm disappointed in you, Kevin. Next thing, you'll be wanting a computer.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm disappointed in you, Kevin. Next thing, you'll be wanting a computer.

I think I'm fine with this converted abacus, thank you very much. I still have a problem, though, with the z bead sharing a spot with the 7 bead... my ALT bead doesn't always work and I sometimes get a 7 where a z should be. It's a nuisance when I type bu77kill wrong. It just looks frightening.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Color me naked, but I have to agree with KTC.
Cellphone usage is modern day rudeness at its finest.
If I'm having a conversation with someone & their cellphone rings--and by the way the conversation's going, it's obvious it's personal, not a kid, I walk away or ask for the check, whatever--I end the contact. Why? I don't do rude.

My cellphone number is only known by my husband & children, that way, when it rings, I know EXACTLY who it is. It's NEVER handed out to friends/businesses. I don't want any of those people bothering me while I'm out and about.
Because we live in foreign countries all the time, the girls have a cellphone as well, but it's used only to call me if the bus broke down (when we lived in Germany, this actually happened...if not for the cellphone, I'd have gone into a panic when the bus didn't show up at it's normal time), but here in Turkey, they've tossed their phones into a drawer & don't bother with them. They're like me: once they're home, they don't want anyone from school calling 'em. We're all hermit like & feel that, once we're home, school & work relations can remain exactly where they are until the following day.

Now, in Scotland, I have a cellphone that I purchased when there last time & use it to call taxies, or to use if I ever had a medical emergency--the flat where I stay doesn't have a phone.

Technology is great--but I don't like any of it to interrupt my life or to become a lifeline when, once upon a time, we got along just fine without all these gizmos.

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Ol' Boy and I were out to breakfast last week on vacation (in between the painting chores and the honey-do projects). Cutest li'l 'French bistro' type place (in Oklahoma, no less)... table behind us had two women sitting together, chatting as they waited for their order.

Cell phone rings.

One of the women, without an 'excuse me' or even a pause, reached into the purse, hauled it out and started visiting with the caller.

For.ever.

She yakked and yakked and yakked and yakked... no attempt what.so.ever to include her physically present companion in the exchange.

I so desperately wanted to lean over and say, "Pardon me, ma'am... would you like to join us?"

You're right, Karey: Modern-day rudeness at its finest.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Wow, I thought I was the last person on Earth who didn't have a cell phone. I'm not sure I could even use one if I had to. They are good in an emergency situation but I don't feel I need one. My family would only be calling asking what's for dinner. I hate getting behind someone using one while I'm driving. There is one road out of the island I live on and most of the way there's no passing. I'll be going 30mph in a 55 zone because someone is yacking on the phone. Working in a local grocery store I'm surprised at how many people talk on the phone and ignore me while I'm ringing up their stuff. Good luck Jon. What in the world did we do before the cell?:D

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Cellphone usage is modern day rudeness at its finest.
Well, if you think about it, telephones in any form are quite impolite.
A ringing phone is like someone barging into your office and banging on your desk; "talk to me now! talk to me now! talk to me now! I'll keep making noise until you talk to me!"

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I thought I was the last person on Earth who didn't have a cell phone. I'm not sure I could even use one if I had to. They are good in an emergency situation but I don't feel I need one. My family would only be calling asking what's for dinner. I hate getting behind someone using one while I'm driving. There is one road out of the island I live on and most of the way there's no passing. I'll be going 30mph in a 55 zone because someone is yacking on the phone. Working in a local grocery store I'm surprised at how many people talk on the phone and ignore me while I'm ringing up their stuff. Good luck Jon. What in the world did we do before the cell?:D

See, I suffer major road rage. Dunno...something comes over me when I slide down the black leather & settle into the driver's seat. 30mph in a 55? I'd lay on the horn.
I know, I know, one day, I'll probably be shot.
The other day, here on base, I was at a stop sign. A four way. Had to let the other driver go first. Rules, ya' know. Soon as it was my turn, bastard behind me laid on the horn.
So I threw the car into reverse, looked over my shoulder & started backing up.
You should have seen his eyes--bulged...cursed...threw his own car into reverse...of course, as soon as he zipped backwards...I went forward.
Then the bitch followed me to the store.
I jumped outa the car. So did he. He started yelling.
I told him: 'I'm a cop. You really want to start explaining why you rush-honked at me at a Stop sign?'
"Oh, sorry ma'am. I'm sorry. I was just in a hurry. I'm sorry. No hard feelings."

He jumped in his car & drove away--super slow. Guess he assumed I might clock his speed.

Now...had he had a cellphone on him...and actually CALLED said police....I woulda' been SOOOO busted for impersonating a cop. But man, did it shut his yap!

As far as seeing people in Germany, on the autobahn, while talking on the phone....you don't know how much I wish I had a fog horn to blast them from behind with...just to see them jump 10 feet in their driver's seat...possibly even flip their vehicle....

what?
WHAT?

Hey! I TOLD you I have road rage...pfff...what?

Don't worry. I'd whip out my cellphone & call polizei :wag:

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if you think about it, telephones in any form are quite impolite.
A ringing phone is like someone barging into your office and banging on your desk; "talk to me now! talk to me now! talk to me now! I'll keep making noise until you talk to me!"
I wouldn't know 'bout office phones. I always had a secretary answering mine :e2tongue: