PDA

View Full Version : I bought a cell phone!

SpookyWriter
05-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Whoots! First one, but I need it here in Dublin. I have begun to submit my cv for work and have an agency call tomorrow. The agency already submitted my cv for a role with a telecom.

Now that I got a cell phone, I'll need to figure out how to use it. :roll: Now if I can only figure out how to get ahold of Jimmy, errr...since we are staying at the same place.

jannawrites
05-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Wow! Welcome to the technology age, Spooky.

Susie
05-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Way2go. Good luck w. it, Jon.

Inky
05-07-2008, 11:13 PM
*shakes head...grins*

Shadow_Ferret
05-07-2008, 11:20 PM
What are you doing in Ireland? I thought you were in Texas last.

*realizes he needs a tracker to keep abreast of spooky's whereabouts*

CACTUSWENDY
05-07-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm glad you got there safe and ah....sound.

About the phone....you geek......lol.

You be sure to stay in touch, and write when you get a chance. (Me trying to sound like a mother.)

Best wishes for your stay there.......

Inky
05-07-2008, 11:25 PM

We should start a thread:
WHERE IN THE WORLD IS SPOOKY?

akiwiguy
05-08-2008, 01:06 AM
cul8r 4 a guiness

SpookyWriter
05-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Wow! Welcome to the technology age, Spooky.
But I can't get the dang phone to work and I got's people calling me today about potential work. Blahhhhh....

SpookyWriter
05-08-2008, 11:01 AM

*realizes he needs a tracker to keep abreast of spooky's whereabouts*I was in Texas last week. Next week I might pop over to the Netherlands to visit friends.

JimmyB27
05-08-2008, 12:12 PM

I found him. I can keep an eye on him for the timebeing. ;)

SpookyWriter
05-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I found him. I can keep an eye on him for the timebeing. ;):welcome:

paprikapink
05-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Jimmy, what do you know about cell phones? I got a pal who can't work his.

KTC
05-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Whoots! First one, but I need it here in Dublin. I have begun to submit my cv for work and have an agency call tomorrow. The agency already submitted my cv for a role with a telecom.

Now that I got a cell phone, I'll need to figure out how to use it. :roll: Now if I can only figure out how to get ahold of Jimmy, errr...since we are staying at the same place.

Argh. I'm thinking of getting my first cell phone too. I've been fighting that technology since its inception. Sometimes I realize how useful it would be to have one. I was one of the organizers for a conference on the weekend and the whole time instances would come up where a cell phone would have come in handy. I think everybody else on the committee had one but me. If I wanted to contact one of them, I'd have to run through the 700 mile hotel hallways to find them. AND my wife and son were staying in the hotel too... seeing them was just a point of luck since I didn't have a cell phone to connect with them. My entire family has phones... I've always hated them. I suppose what I hate the most is the way some ignorant people use them. I mean, live your life dammit! I hate it when people are with people but they're all speaking to other people on their phones instead of with each other. Yes... this is turning into a rant. But now that I'm considering the cell phone, I have to really think about these morons who use them in checkouts and while they're with friends and in the car and etc, etc, etc. If I DO get one, I will keep it off unless I need to use it. I have one rule with my 12 year-old son when we are together. He can have his cell phone with him, but he can't be 'hanging' with his friends while we are doing something. 1 minute calls is all he's allowed when we are together. My daughter tried once to text at the dinner table. Her phone now stays in her room while we're eating. Spooky... damn you. You were one of the last ones... I feel like we lost another one to the dark side... and here am I considering getting one too. It's a sad world. /rant

JimmyB27
05-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Argh. I'm thinking of getting my first cell phone too. I've been fighting that technology since its inception. Sometimes I realize how useful it would be to have one. I was one of the organizers for a conference on the weekend and the whole time instances would come up where a cell phone would have come in handy. I think everybody else on the committee had one but me. If I wanted to contact one of them, I'd have to run through the 700 mile hotel hallways to find them. AND my wife and son were staying in the hotel too... seeing them was just a point of luck since I didn't have a cell phone to connect with them. My entire family has phones... I've always hated them. I suppose what I hate the most is the way some ignorant people use them. I mean, live your life dammit! I hate it when people are with people but they're all speaking to other people on their phones instead of with each other. Yes... this is turning into a rant. But now that I'm considering the cell phone, I have to really think about these morons who use them in checkouts and while they're with friends and in the car and etc, etc, etc. If I DO get one, I will keep it off unless I need to use it. I have one rule with my 12 year-old son when we are together. He can have his cell phone with him, but he can't be 'hanging' with his friends while we are doing something. 1 minute calls is all he's allowed when we are together. My daughter tried once to text at the dinner table. Her phone now stays in her room while we're eating. Spooky... damn you. You were one of the last ones... I feel like we lost another one to the dark side... and here am I considering getting one too. It's a sad world. /rant
I kind of agree with you. My phone is most often used as an alarm clock.

KTC
05-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Yes... and as someone who also doesn't believe in watches, I was in a pickle trying to follow the schedule this weekend too. Everybody else would look to their cell phones for the time. I'd look to my empty wrist and come up empty. And I couldn't see the sun, so a sundial was out of the question.

soleary
05-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Congrats on the cellie! Wander over to O'Donohue's Pub for me and have a cold one in celebration!

Haggis
05-08-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm disappointed in you, Kevin. Next thing, you'll be wanting a computer.

KTC
05-08-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm disappointed in you, Kevin. Next thing, you'll be wanting a computer.

I think I'm fine with this converted abacus, thank you very much. I still have a problem, though, with the z bead sharing a spot with the 7 bead... my ALT bead doesn't always work and I sometimes get a 7 where a z should be. It's a nuisance when I type bu77kill wrong. It just looks frightening.

Inky
05-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Color me naked, but I have to agree with KTC.
Cellphone usage is modern day rudeness at its finest.
If I'm having a conversation with someone & their cellphone rings--and by the way the conversation's going, it's obvious it's personal, not a kid, I walk away or ask for the check, whatever--I end the contact. Why? I don't do rude.

My cellphone number is only known by my husband & children, that way, when it rings, I know EXACTLY who it is. It's NEVER handed out to friends/businesses. I don't want any of those people bothering me while I'm out and about.
Because we live in foreign countries all the time, the girls have a cellphone as well, but it's used only to call me if the bus broke down (when we lived in Germany, this actually happened...if not for the cellphone, I'd have gone into a panic when the bus didn't show up at it's normal time), but here in Turkey, they've tossed their phones into a drawer & don't bother with them. They're like me: once they're home, they don't want anyone from school calling 'em. We're all hermit like & feel that, once we're home, school & work relations can remain exactly where they are until the following day.

Now, in Scotland, I have a cellphone that I purchased when there last time & use it to call taxies, or to use if I ever had a medical emergency--the flat where I stay doesn't have a phone.

Technology is great--but I don't like any of it to interrupt my life or to become a lifeline when, once upon a time, we got along just fine without all these gizmos.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Ol' Boy and I were out to breakfast last week on vacation (in between the painting chores and the honey-do projects). Cutest li'l 'French bistro' type place (in Oklahoma, no less)... table behind us had two women sitting together, chatting as they waited for their order.

Cell phone rings.

One of the women, without an 'excuse me' or even a pause, reached into the purse, hauled it out and started visiting with the caller.

For.ever.

She yakked and yakked and yakked and yakked... no attempt what.so.ever to include her physically present companion in the exchange.

I so desperately wanted to lean over and say, "Pardon me, ma'am... would you like to join us?"

You're right, Karey: Modern-day rudeness at its finest.

joyce
05-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Wow, I thought I was the last person on Earth who didn't have a cell phone. I'm not sure I could even use one if I had to. They are good in an emergency situation but I don't feel I need one. My family would only be calling asking what's for dinner. I hate getting behind someone using one while I'm driving. There is one road out of the island I live on and most of the way there's no passing. I'll be going 30mph in a 55 zone because someone is yacking on the phone. Working in a local grocery store I'm surprised at how many people talk on the phone and ignore me while I'm ringing up their stuff. Good luck Jon. What in the world did we do before the cell?:D

Bmwhtly
05-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Cellphone usage is modern day rudeness at its finest.Well, if you think about it, telephones in any form are quite impolite.
A ringing phone is like someone barging into your office and banging on your desk; "talk to me now! talk to me now! talk to me now! I'll keep making noise until you talk to me!"

Inky
05-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Wow, I thought I was the last person on Earth who didn't have a cell phone. I'm not sure I could even use one if I had to. They are good in an emergency situation but I don't feel I need one. My family would only be calling asking what's for dinner. I hate getting behind someone using one while I'm driving. There is one road out of the island I live on and most of the way there's no passing. I'll be going 30mph in a 55 zone because someone is yacking on the phone. Working in a local grocery store I'm surprised at how many people talk on the phone and ignore me while I'm ringing up their stuff. Good luck Jon. What in the world did we do before the cell?:D

See, I suffer major road rage. Dunno...something comes over me when I slide down the black leather & settle into the driver's seat. 30mph in a 55? I'd lay on the horn.
I know, I know, one day, I'll probably be shot.
The other day, here on base, I was at a stop sign. A four way. Had to let the other driver go first. Rules, ya' know. Soon as it was my turn, bastard behind me laid on the horn.
So I threw the car into reverse, looked over my shoulder & started backing up.
You should have seen his eyes--bulged...cursed...threw his own car into reverse...of course, as soon as he zipped backwards...I went forward.
Then the bitch followed me to the store.
I jumped outa the car. So did he. He started yelling.
I told him: 'I'm a cop. You really want to start explaining why you rush-honked at me at a Stop sign?'
"Oh, sorry ma'am. I'm sorry. I was just in a hurry. I'm sorry. No hard feelings."

He jumped in his car & drove away--super slow. Guess he assumed I might clock his speed.

Now...had he had a cellphone on him...and actually CALLED said police....I woulda' been SOOOO busted for impersonating a cop. But man, did it shut his yap!

As far as seeing people in Germany, on the autobahn, while talking on the phone....you don't know how much I wish I had a fog horn to blast them from behind with...just to see them jump 10 feet in their driver's seat...possibly even flip their vehicle....

what?
WHAT?

Hey! I TOLD you I have road rage...pfff...what?

Don't worry. I'd whip out my cellphone & call polizei :wag:

Inky
05-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Well, if you think about it, telephones in any form are quite impolite.
A ringing phone is like someone barging into your office and banging on your desk; "talk to me now! talk to me now! talk to me now! I'll keep making noise until you talk to me!"
I wouldn't know 'bout office phones. I always had a secretary answering mine :e2tongue:

James81
05-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Congratulations on your first brave new steps into the 90's!

lol

I'm going to peg your age at around 50, cause just about everybody UNDER that age has a cell phone. :D

Hell, i don't even have a land-line phone in my house anymore. Why pay ridiculous amounts of money when you can have a cell phone for half the price?

Bmwhtly
05-08-2008, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't know 'bout office phones.Well substitute 'Sauna' for 'office'

I always had a secretary answering mine :e2tongue:Lah-Di-Dah!

Inky
05-08-2008, 04:23 PM
I haven't been in the states for nearly 10 years. Do they still do their cellphone by contract only, or do they finally have where you can buy the phone outright & then pay and upload time onto your phone like they do in Europe?
I hated those cellphone contracts & the crazy cost plans they offered. Major extortion.

Inky
05-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Well substitute 'Sauna' for 'office'
Lah-Di-Dah!
You need momma to bring you your slippahs?

Pamster
05-08-2008, 04:52 PM
I don't have one yet but was looking at Trac phones yesterday, thinking about getting one, but not sure I would use it much you know? Anyway, congratulations Spooky! It sounds like it was a good purchase, give it a little time you'll be using it in no time. :D

Shadow_Ferret
05-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Color me naked, but I have to agree with KTC.
Cellphone usage is modern day rudeness at its finest.

If I'm having a conversation with someone & their cellphone rings--and by the way the conversation's going, it's obvious it's personal, not a kid, I walk away or ask for the check, whatever--I end the contact. Why? I don't do rude.Yeah, I start feeling uncomfortable too and wonder what the correct protocol is.

My cellphone number is only known by my husband & children, that way, when it rings, I know EXACTLY who it is. It's NEVER handed out to friends/businesses. I don't want any of those people bothering me while I'm out and about.
Yeah, who the hell wants FRIENDS calling! :rolleyes:

I give my cell number out to everyone. Its the reason I have it, to communicate with people. If someone needs to get ahold of me and they can't reach me at home, that's what my cell phone is for.

And I have special rings for each member of my family so I know EXACTLY who it is.

James81
05-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I start feeling uncomfortable too and wonder what the correct protocol is.

The correct protocol is that the guy with the damn phone, reaches into his pocket and turns off th ringer and continues his conversation with you.

OR

If the call he is expecting is important he says "I'm sorry to interupt, but this call is important". "Important" meaning your wife is in labor, a family member is dying or in the hospital, or some sort of business needs to be taken care of that cannot be taken care of in another 10 minutes.

I hate people with cell phones who'll interupt a conversation to answer their phone. I just want to say "Hey, you, ass****, I was talking to you. That call can wait another 5 minutes. If it's important, they'll leave a damned message."

But I don't...Ah well, I'd like to finish this post, but my phone is ringing...

*POOF*

cray
05-08-2008, 07:14 PM
cell phone –schmell phone, spooky,...

just let us know when you catch a leprechaun. ok?

SpookyWriter
05-08-2008, 08:19 PM
I've been fighting that technology since its inception. I'll probably pitch my in the trash once I find work. I only bought one to get calls for employment. I had to ask a stranger at a cafe how to work the dang thing.

SpookyWriter
05-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Yes... and as someone who also doesn't believe in watches, I was in a pickle trying to follow the schedule this weekend too. Everybody else would look to their cell phones for the time. I'd look to my empty wrist and come up empty. And I couldn't see the sun, so a sundial was out of the question.I haven't worn a watch in over thirty years. Still got the one I bought in 1977. Damn thing still ticks. But it's in storage somewhere.

JoeEkaitis
05-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Next step: dump the Commodore 64.

C.bronco
05-08-2008, 11:04 PM
I hope you got a cell phone that can take pictures, Spooky. Then you can post pictures of yourself frolicking abroad.
:)

SpookyWriter
05-09-2008, 01:03 AM
I hope you got a cell phone that can take pictures, Spooky. Then you can post pictures of yourself frolicking abroad.
:)I might get banned if I show you my pictures of frolicking a broad.

reigningcatsndogs
05-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Congratulations on your first brave new steps into the 90's!

lol

I'm going to peg your age at around 50, cause just about everybody UNDER that age has a cell phone. :D

:cry:I don't, and I only look around 50 (unless you are referring to weight, in which case, you just made me very happy)

joyce
05-09-2008, 02:46 AM
Hell, i don't even have a land-line phone in my house anymore. Why pay ridiculous amounts of money when you can have a cell phone for half the price?

The stretch of island I live on there is no cell phone reception. I pay for my daughters cell and her monthly bill is three times as much as my land-line. I should remember that she is 24 and the phone grows out of her head......she's a phone addict. When she finishes college this year the bill is all hers!:)

skelly
05-09-2008, 03:00 AM
My cellphone number is only known by my husband & children, that way, when it rings, I know EXACTLY who it is.
That's what I do, which means that every time the damn thing rings, I know something is probably wrong somewhere and my blood pressure soars. Hate the damn thing.

James81
05-09-2008, 05:07 PM
The stretch of island I live on there is no cell phone reception. I pay for my daughters cell and her monthly bill is three times as much as my land-line. I should remember that she is 24 and the phone grows out of her head......she's a phone addict. When she finishes college this year the bill is all hers!:)

In my case, I have unlimited nights and weekend minutes. So if I am going to be ont he phone any length of time, I make sure it's after 7PM. :D

One month, I used over 3000 minutes on the night and weekend time. lol I probably hadn't talked that much on the phone in my LIFE to that point, though. I hate the phone usually, I much prefer to do my business and talk to people face to face.

jst5150
05-09-2008, 05:14 PM
I have a Blackberry. More important than the phone line was the ability to get my email. I prefer email to speaking on the phone. However, my Blackberry gets knocked out its holder bunches. It's got the face of a Mixed martial arts fighter after a bout.

Spooky, wait until you discover the Internet, the MP3 player and satellite television. And the Sonic Breakfast Burrito is going to rock your world -- futurama at its finest. ;)

MoonWriter
05-09-2008, 07:52 PM
I might get banned if I show you my pictures of frolicking a broad.

:roll:

My thoughts are prayers are with you, Spooky. Hope you land the job of your dreams. And it wouldn't hurt if that job supplied you with lots of material for your writing. Scratch that. You write horror.

LIVIN
05-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Welcome to the 21st century.

cray
05-09-2008, 08:50 PM
'ello spooky!

:e2moon:

SpookyWriter
05-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I suppose it's a good idea to charge the dang thing once in a while.

KTC
05-11-2008, 08:06 PM
damn you, spooky. i got a cell phone yesterday. sigh. the world's end is nigh.

Haggis
05-11-2008, 08:22 PM
damn you, spooky. i got a cell phone yesterday. sigh. the world's end is nigh.

You didn't! My Dog, what's this world coming to? I suppose next you'll be buying a microwave.

KTC
05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
You didn't! My Dog, what's this world coming to? I suppose next you'll be buying a microwave.

I always said I would never get one. I will never use it while I am in the presence of others... I cannot tolerate that kind of ignorance. I think that's why I hate them so much.

Microwaves? Are they like tiny waves? Like for surfing? I don't have to worry about needing one of those as I am neither a surfer nor living on a coast.

CACTUSWENDY
05-11-2008, 08:48 PM
So Spooooo, Ah, can you hear me now?

.................................................. .........Can you hear me now?.......................................

..................Can you hear me now?:)

Snowstorm
05-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Be CAREFUL when getting your first cell phone! I don't have a cell phone, but I've learned things about them from watching those who have them.

- They make you deaf.

-- This results in you having to turn up the ring volume to MAX so the sound will travel throughout the room, down the hall and to the fifty yard line at the filled football stadium. No matter how loud you turn it up, you won't be able to hear it but those who don't have cell phones can alert you to its ringing.

-- This also results in the deafness of the party to whom you are speaking. So you will be forced to speak at the top of your voice regardless of the sensitive mouthpiece in your phone so the person on the other end can hear you.

Be careful.