promotion plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Is the section in your proposal where you talk about promoting your book things you know 100 percent will happen or do you add onto that? Do you list authors that might blub you because you've met them and media that might write about your book because you have connections even if those things are not set in stone? I am trying to build my marketing section, but I don't want to promise what I can't deliver. However, I do feel like I might be selling myself short by not mentioning a few connections. I have some that have agreed to help me out, and there are others I don't know how to reach right now, but I believe will back me. How do you handle the maybe-this-will-happen part of your marketing plan? Thanks.

KellyC

wearer of many hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.2passthetorch.com
If you know the "possible" connections would be very useful in the promotion, I would mention them as "other promotional avenues may include..." or something like that. Publishers want to know that you have connections and would be willing to pursue them. Sometimes the publisher itself can help pave the way, if they choose to follow-through with your proposal. Of course your most solid promotional ideas should be mentioned first.

Best wishes!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely include the "possibles" if indeed they are really possible. However, I suggest you be careful how you come across. Maybe something like: "Having had
professional relationships on some of my other works with the following individuals and organizations, I will contact all of them at the appropriate time for (whatever--reviews?). Something like that but written better.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Scope. I have really thought about the possibles, but I was not including them in my proposal because I didn't want to make any promises I couldn't keep. I have added a few things (not everything on the possible list). I did explain my connections I added and what they said they might be able to do. I just got a few more requests for my proposal so we'll see if this might help. Off to the post office. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.