PDA

View Full Version : Greek word for soul mate

Atlantis
05-07-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm gearing up to rewrite the first scene of my novel Atlantis Reborn. I'm planning to weave in all the information about the Gods and why they need soul mates within the first few pages. I was wondering if anyone here knew the Greek word for soul mate. In my book Cleito, a mortal, was born with a mark on her arm branding her as Poseidon's soul mate. In the first scene her mother explains this all to her:

"You are Poseidon's INSERT WORD. His soul mate."

I thought including the Greek word for soul mate (or the closest thing that means roughly the same thing) would be a nice touch since the first half of the book is set in Ancient Greece.

Mac H.
05-07-2008, 01:49 PM
I'd see what phrase Plato's Symposium uses for the closest concept.

From memory (and a quick google) he argued that Aphrodite Urania was the ultimate in soul-mateship.

Of course, he also argued that it was such a pure love it could never occur between a man and a woman .. such a perfect meeting of minds could only occur between two men.

(However it also has a long section discussing under which circumstances pedophilia is acceptable - so you might want to take what it says with a grain of salt!)

Mac

Ravenlocks
05-08-2008, 06:54 AM
It's my understanding that pedophilia was pretty much culturally expected among the ancient Greeks.

And from the little I've read I'd question whether they would be familiar with the concept of a female soul-mate for a man. But I'm definitely not an expert of any sort.

Atlantis
05-08-2008, 09:04 AM
The word I'm searching for to complete my sentence doesn't have to mean "soul mate" exactly. It could be betrothed, bride, lover, etc.

Danger Jane
05-12-2008, 04:45 AM
You might try making something up, like "psucheros" or something similar--a combination of the word for soul/life force, and literally breath (psuche) and the word for passionate love (eros). You've made up the whole concept, right? Why not make up the word for it?

Besides, the Greeks were fond of compound words and names. And when a clever reader figures out what you've done, they'll appreciate you all the more for it!

ETA: Another words for soul: pneuma, which is the rational, immortal soul. And well maybe you don't want it to be masculine? Eropsuche, eropneume? Just throwing ideas out there. You could also combine soul and woman (gyne) for a good compound name. Psuchegyne or something.

I'm kind of a Greece freak.

jst5150
05-12-2008, 05:06 AM
Yanni?

Danger Jane
05-12-2008, 05:12 AM
It's my understanding that pedophilia was pretty much culturally expected among the ancient Greeks.

And from the little I've read I'd question whether they would be familiar with the concept of a female soul-mate for a man. But I'm definitely not an expert of any sort.

Heterosexual love was looked down in early years, but by the Hellenistic period it was gaining stature, like in Apollonius Rhodes' Argonautica. Less of the Heracles/Hylas, more of the Jason/Medea.

GeorgeK
05-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Heterosexual love was looked down in early years, but by the Hellenistic period it was gaining stature, like in Apollonius Rhodes' Argonautica. Less of the Heracles/Hylas, more of the Jason/Medea.

And yet the Trojan War was supposedly fought over a hetero relationship. I remember reading about a male prostitute/geisha/courtesan complaining that Socrates was only interested in his mind.

I wonder what future archeologists would think if the only thing they unearthed of our culture was Hugh Hefner's mansion?

HeronW
05-26-2008, 07:13 PM
agape was pure mental love, eros-physical