PDA

View Full Version : Street Slang & Culture

ALLWritety
05-07-2008, 09:57 AM
What street slang is knocking about?

I need Latino, Black, gang, Chinese, drug, street slang, etc and it's meaning so i can use it properly!!! ;) Also if you can share about "Street Culture" that would be great.

So please say which group it belongs to, don't want to mix them up although that sure would be fun!!

Thanks in Advance.

Kev

reenkam
05-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Slang really differs depending on where you are. Do you have a specific city or area in mind?

maxmordon
05-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Slang really differs depending on where you are. Do you have a specific city or area in mind?

Agreed. An innocent request to a tailor in Venezuelan Spanish can mean a request for a handjob in Mexican Spanish. It's tricky

slcboston
05-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Agreed. An innocent request to a tailor in Venezuelan Spanish can mean a request for a handjob in Mexican Spanish. It's tricky

Do tailors in Mexico do that? Mine just sort of gropes inappropriately. :D

slcboston
05-07-2008, 10:09 PM
On a more professional note: I'd be careful about using too much slang, just as in the "foreign phrases" thread. One of the authors I read is Robert Parker, who is often noted for getting his characters to sound authentic. I listened to an interview with him, and mostly he said it wasn't anything he researched, just an attempt to get into the character's head and hear how they'd sound. You can convey an awful lot with a few choice words and some good phrasing.

WittyandorIronic
05-08-2008, 06:58 AM
It depends on what you are describing too. There are lots of 'street' names for drugs, but what type of drugs are your characters going to really be into? Places in the US differ in the types of drugs that are popular. So maybe some more info (to echo the other posts, lol) could narrow it down.

Soccer Mom
05-08-2008, 07:26 AM
I know a lot more street slang than a nice girl should. I can tell you that it varies widely, by race and geography. It is very specialized. A few more particulars would help.

ALLWritety
05-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Hmm that could be a little tricky. I didn't realise just how of a difference there would be.

OK some more details:

These are stories set in the street of the US. I was hoping for a generic city so it could be any city in the US. Some I have the sourse marterial but other i don't. I am adapting short stories in to a TV series. Many have been written but other haven't.

These are stories of TEENAGERS & Ealry 20's
- gangs, thugs, Hispanics/Latino's (Are these the same or are they very different?
Hispanic's: From Porto Rico & Costa Rica etc where as Latino's are Central & South American. Is this right?)
blacks, Chinese, whites, drugs, prostitutes, run aways etc.

The stories target and use characters from rigth across the board.

As for the drugs i would need terms that most people would know or work out.
Crackheads
dope
suppin the syrup
Chasing the Dragon for the one you burn and sniff/snort the vapors. (Chinese bods)
a Fix

These i know, any more?
What about prostitutes?

Hope this helps a little
Kev

maxmordon
05-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Hispanics are those descended from Spaniards and Latinos are those who come specifically from Latin America. In this sense, a Brazilian is a Latino but not someone from Spain and a Spanish person is a Hispanic, but neither a Haitian nor a Brazilian

WittyandorIronic
05-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Demographic: Mostly poor white kids. Some poor hispanic and latinos, most of their parents were farm labor. I grew up... in an interesting place. Meth was (and probably is) very prevalent. It was always known as crank or tweek, and those who did it were tweekers or meth heads. It was discussed by color and consistency, pink, blue, ice, peanut butter. Cheap E was known as cloud-9. Dropping hits (LSD) was pretty common, as was smoking anything laced (pot with meth, heroine, whatever else thrown in the mix). People also smoked a lot of pot spiked with psychedelic mushrooms which was called a 'garden', or growing a garden. Pot was known by specific names too, dependent on geography of where it was grown, and consistency of the buds. Maui-Wowi, Alaskan Thunderfuck, Chronic. Shwag weed was the crap left over in the bag, stems and leaves.
And thats about as uncomfortable as reminiscing gets, heh. I am sure I could remember more if I tried, but some parts in life are better left to drift away. :)
Try Here (http://www.drugs.indiana.edu/drug-slang.aspx). Hope that helps.