Goal: to tackle that first line.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
So okay. I've been so focused on novel stuff that I really need a breather to remind me of how fun writing can be when it's not months/years of hard back-breaking work on one project. Don't get me wrong, I love that too, but it's grueling, and even the best of mommies needs to call the babysitter sometimes--so to speak.

Thanks to some tips in the short story/articles section, I found this really awesome quarterly magazine that's taking submissions for its late-summer issue. I'm totally gonna try for it. It'll be my first time actually submitting a short story, and I don't know how it'll go, considering I don't really WRITE short stories at all (random pages, but that's neither here nor there).

So. Eep! I don't know if I'll have what it takes but I think this will be a fun exercise for me to try my hand at a new type of writing, and also to learn about a different area of the submission process. Apparently they pay $20 for accepted articles. And Stephen King said you're a pro writer when someone pays you for your writing and the check doesn't bounce. Although I'd probably just frame it and hang it on my wall... next to the trail of ants that have infested my home :(

The deadline is August 1st. I'll let you all know how it goes!!

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck,

As a short story writer/wannabe. I think the key is laser like focus on what the 'core' of the story is that you are telling. And to use every opportunity to sneak in characterization, description, etc. You have fewer words so you have to make them work harder.

Oh, another thing that helps me is I grab an anthology of short stories. Reading what you are going to write definitely helps.

Anyways, good luck. I'm sure you will knock it out of the park.

Mel...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to you! $20 is more than I've seen for any of my fiction works (though I didn't frame that first check, I did cash it... but I was poor and it paid for lunch. :) )

Keep us posted on how it goes. :)

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Break a leg! There's nothing quite as good as seeing your words in print - except maybe getting paid for them. :)