Literary Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry... is it expensive to get a literary agent? Do you have to pay an agent a fortune to represent you? Is it absolutely absurd and unheard of to get your book published witout involving a literary agent? I'm sorry I don't know very much. I'm hanging around AW to learn. Thank you. :eek:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
An agent collects 15% of what the author earns.

DO NOT PAY UP FRONT.

A lot of small presses will accept unagented work, which then goes into what is known as the 'slushpile', and maybe it'll even get read. But if you have dreams of, say, Random House, you need an agent.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure about 200 AWers are typing the same thing right now.

Writers should never pay agents up front. Never, never, never.

Agents get paid a percentage of whatever the writer makes after the writer's work (novel, book, film rights, whatever) gets sold.

Money flows to the writer. Not from the writer to the agent.

Any agent who wants a chunk of change from a writer is a scam artist.

Did I miss anything?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
And - an agent has to want to represent you - you can't just get one because you want one. You have to query them just the same as you would a publishing house. There's a LOT of competition for agents. Puma

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
Sorry... is it expensive to get a literary agent? Do you have to pay an agent a fortune to represent you? Is it absolutely absurd and unheard of to get your book published witout involving a literary agent? I'm sorry I don't know very much. I'm hanging around AW to learn. Thank you. :eek:

You can theoretically get published without an agent. But it would be more work than most people are willing to invest. When dealing with agents, should you be lucky enough to get one to want to represent you, remember's Snark's Maxim: "money flows from the agent to the writer, not the other way around."

Status
Not open for further replies.