PDA

View Full Version : Self Publishing Market Trends - NY Times Article

Another
05-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Here is link to fairly recent NY Times article on self publishing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/books/review/Donadio-t.html?scp=1&sq=you%27re+an+author%3F+me+too%21&st=nyt

Some tidbits of possible interest:

- in 2007, 400,000 books were published or distributed in the United States, up from 300,000 in 2006, in good part due to a rise in the number of print-on-demand books (and reprints of out-of-print titles).

- IUniverse, a self-publishing company founded in 1999, has grown 30 percent a year in recent years; it now produces 500 titles a month and has 36,000 titles in print. Xlibris, a print-on-demand operation, has 20,000 titles in print, by more than 18,000 authors.

- IUniverse has a “strategic alliance” with Barnes & Noble, which "sometimes" considers stocking self-published titles for "some" local branches. Amazon.com owns BookSurge, a print-on-demand operation that produces and distributes books for as little as $3.50 per copy. Borders recently started a self-publishing program with the print-on-demand company Lulu.

- The Borders site says self-published authors can arrange readings in local Borders stores, but some kinks remain.

Another

ResearchGuy
05-06-2008, 11:45 PM
. . .
- in 2007, 400,000 books were published or distributed in the United States,. . .
I question that number. My wife recently bought me a little 2009 pocket-size Seattle photo calendar. It is comparable to a fold-out postcard booklet. It has an ISBN. It is not something anyone would describe as a book. How many tens of thousands of little non-book items like that have ISBNs?

--Ken

hastingspress
05-07-2008, 05:57 PM
If all those books at Lulu, that hardly anyone buys, are added up ......?

ResearchGuy
05-07-2008, 06:05 PM
If all those books at Lulu, that hardly anyone buys, are added up ......?
I doubt that more than a small fraction of the items published (printed) via Lulu have ISBNs. Those without ISBNs are not in Books in Print, and hence not counted in the statistics drawn from BiP.

--Ken

Another
05-13-2008, 02:37 AM
I question that number. My wife recently bought me a little 2009 pocket-size Seattle photo calendar. It is comparable to a fold-out postcard booklet. It has an ISBN. It is not something anyone would describe as a book. How many tens of thousands of little non-book items like that have ISBNs?

--Ken

Ken,

You may be right about "non-books" being some chunk of 2007 book volume noted in the article. But isn't it the upward trend across years which is of interest, no matter what proportion are such books? Or are you thinking the uptick is accounted for less by books the article points to and more by a growing proportion of "non-books?"

And, any thoughts on the other numbers/trends noted?

Another

ResearchGuy
05-13-2008, 03:17 AM
. . . are you thinking the uptick is accounted for less by books the article points to and more by a growing proportion of "non-books?". . .
It might be. Don't know. The data are probably available, but probably very expensive to get. The Association of American Publishers publishes an annual statistical report, but it is WAY more expensive than I can afford. It might answer the questions. And then again, maybe not.

Be that as it may, it seems unquestionable that the number of actual books published is surging. Probably a great many of them sell in the single digits, or not much above.

And maybe the proportions have remained about constant between real books and non-book things with ISBNs. Darned if I know.

--Ken

Bo Sullivan
05-14-2008, 04:31 AM
Here is link to fairly recent NY Times article on self publishing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/books/review/Donadio-t.html?scp=1&sq=you%27re+an+author%3F+me+too%21&st=nyt

Some tidbits of possible interest:

- in 2007, 400,000 books were published or distributed in the United States, up from 300,000 in 2006, in good part due to a rise in the number of print-on-demand books (and reprints of out-of-print titles).

- IUniverse, a self-publishing company founded in 1999, has grown 30 percent a year in recent years; it now produces 500 titles a month and has 36,000 titles in print. Xlibris, a print-on-demand operation, has 20,000 titles in print, by more than 18,000 authors.

- IUniverse has a “strategic alliance” with Barnes & Noble, which "sometimes" considers stocking self-published titles for "some" local branches. Amazon.com owns BookSurge, a print-on-demand operation that produces and distributes books for as little as $3.50 per copy. Borders recently started a self-publishing program with the print-on-demand company Lulu.

- The Borders site says self-published authors can arrange readings in local Borders stores, but some kinks remain.

Another

Don't forget Amazon Createspace (also owned and run by Amazon) which sells self-published books on their website. It is free to upload a book and only one proof copy needs to be purchased in order for the book to appear for sale on Amazon.com

Barbara

Another
05-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Don't forget Amazon Createspace (also owned and run by Amazon) which sells self-published books on their website. It is free to upload a book and only one proof copy needs to be purchased in order for the book to appear for sale on Amazon.com

Barbara

About Amazon, the linked article says, "Amazon.com owns BookSurge, a print-on-demand operation that produces and distributes books for as little as $3.50 per copy." So maybe Creatspace is the seller arm and BookSurge is the production arm ... or something.

Another