The Lunchbox

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
I reckon a few other folks are in a the same boat as me. My fella works in his office at home and I'm a bum. ^_^ Almost everyday since early January I've brought him lunch to his desk and I'm rather proud/smug about varying the stuff he gets for lunch. Just, you know, I'm running out of easy and fun lunch ideas. >.< My sympathies for whomever has to pack lunches for their spouse or kids then send them off.

Yesterday he had a ham sandwich, crackers & cheese and a bowl of potato chips.

Today, I got off my duff and made some chocolate crepes, which turned out to be glorified pancakes with a runny sugary/buttery banana sauce. ^_^

WHAT DO YOU FEED THEM? ^_^ (And how much of it do you eat after you make theirs? I hardly eat a thing after I make it.)

-An

CheriVixen

Blushing Furiously
Registered
Reaction score
I send my husband off in the morning with coffee in a mug. He only has one so if he forgets it in the carpool, then there's nada the next morning. If he's lucky he gets leftovers, nothing special but he doesnt seem to be suffering. The kids get sandwiches for lunch, not the same though that would be too easy. One likes crunchy peanut butter with Fluff and the other has creamy peanut butter with jelly (its apple this week). Lunch was really challenging when they were in peanut free classrooms. I have no idea what I fed them then.

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
I hear you, we have crunchy peanut butter for him and smooth peanut butter we shove into bones to keep the dogs quiet on bad nights. >.<

My fella doesn't get coffee anymore. I hands down make the worst coffee in Canada and the United States. ^_^ He says he doesn't miss the java, but he drinks his body weight in Diet Coke's now. That's a lot of pop...
Eyecrazy.gif

-An

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Have him do what I do to limit my soda intake:

Every time I get a can or glass of soda, I must also take one bottle or glass of water.

When I was younger, I drank ridiculous quantities of soda.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Careful on the caffeine reduction, however. The first time I reduced my intake, I was a lot more mellow and At One With The World, but had this deep-seated urge to REALLY KILL SOMETHING. The second time I did, it was unintentional as I thought the travel mug I had held 16 ounces, but it only holds 12. Anyway. The week I used the mug before figuring out what happened, I was suicidal.

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, he had hot dogs today. Mmmm, hot dgos. ^_^

He's been through caffeine withdrawal before, so if he chooses to try and cut back again, we're going to be gradual and keep 'emergency cans' close by, heh. We've talked about getting a water cooler, and now I'm thinking we'll put it in his office so he has a quick & easy alternative to chugging pop. Thank you Ben and SPM. ^_^

(And I have to say, I adore your avatar, Ben. I have the premier Cheese episode recorded and saved on tivo. I watch it often and watch it fondly. I like seeryall.)

-An

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
My husband makes his own lunch and he's really good at it. Nuts, a piece of fruit, maybe one of those protein bar things, some baby carrots, leftovers from dinner or something wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla. He's the perfect blend of too-cheap-to-buy-lunch + too-hungry-to-skip-it + too-generally-sensible-to-eat-junk.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Both me and the husband work at home, so we don't have the brown-bag-it-or-eat-out problem. I cook once, for lunch, and we eat the same thing for dinner. Or maybe even the day after. The hubby is the perfect non-complainer. :D

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
I have a fetish for making ridiculous sandwiches that I force my husband to eat... because I really don't like sandwiches myself. I know. Weird.
We live right by a bakery, so it depends on what bread is good which day. But often I do
Ciabatta (sp?) with spicy aioli, thick smoked turkey, sharp cheddar, and bacon. Slice up last nights pot roast and make a cheddar sauce to go on top of the 'roast' beef sandwich. Meatball subs after meatball and spaghetti night.
Sometimes I grab croissants with ham and cheese (admittedly, I just buy these from the bakery but they are so dang good)
And for myself I prefer a chicken ceasar salad wrap. It is a chicken ceasar salad, sans croûtons, wrapped in a big tortilla. So yummy!

One of our favorites sandwiches is when I make french toast (with homemade challah bread) I will make extra french toast and then just leave it on the counter. Whenever we finally get hungry for lunch I will cook some sausage patties, and have a french toast, sausage patty, and shredded cheddar sandwich. So yummy, and so bad for me. lol.

BTW, I refuse to calorie count any of my recipes. lol.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
And for myself I prefer a chicken ceasar salad wrap. It is a chicken ceasar salad, sans croûtons, wrapped in a big tortilla. So yummy!

Throw the croutons in, too! They're what makes a stand-out chicken caesar wrap, IMO.

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
I planned on a big BLT sandwich with a handful of chips and some grapes. But I was, um, sleeping at lunch time so he nuked a can of soup. I'm such a bad caretaker. ^_^

-An

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to point out that making a submarine sandwich for someone to take to work is pretty groovy. But if packing a sandwich for the lunchbox, the tomatoes should be separate cuz they'll make the bread soggy.

And I've never packed it to go before, but I know my fella loves it when I surprise him with a Cobb salad fer lunch. It's super easy to do, and it just takes whatever we have in the house. The last one I made had roughly ripped lettuce tossed with a little ranch and blue cheese dressing with bacon bits and blue cheese crumbles mixed into it (I dunno, he's blue cheese obsessed). Piled tuna salad on top of it and some sliced ham around the sides. Sliced up two hard boiled eggs, dropped on some crunchy onion things and crushed up corn chips and he was a happy camper. ^_^

-An

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
He made his own lunch today and, *sob*, I'm so embarrassed. He didn't even butter the bread for his sandwich. I feel like such a shmuck, I should have done it for him. ^_^

-An