I Am What’s Wrong With the Church

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I ran across this article: I Am What’s Wrong With the Church in a Christian magazine called Plain Truth Magazine. It's written by a Christian to a Christian audience. I believe it is relevant to this forum. (Spoiler: It is NOT anti-Pagan.)

I'd be interested in your comments.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I only get a blank page.....

What is the link?

Never mind...finally got it to work.

Interesting insight. I agree some of what he said. Thanks for sharing this.

Last edited:

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read the article yet, but the thread title reminded me of the famous quote by Christian writer G.K. Chesterton:

When The London Times invited several eminent authors to write essays on the theme "What's Wrong with the World?" Chesterton's contribution took the form of a letter:

Dear Sirs,
I am.
Sincerely yours,
G. K. Chesterton

ETA: Excellent article. I really appreciated where the author was coming from. I find in my own walk I tend to be judgemental of Christians I feel are unloving and ungracious, not of people who are not Christians. But of course that doesn't make my judgemental-ness ok. I need to reflect Christ's love in my attitude toward everyone, even and especially toward Christians I disagree with.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I didn't realize Salem, Mass had a large Pagan and Neo Pagan community. How perfect.

As far as the article goes, to me the pastor is more an example of what's right with the church. His congregation being banned is what's wrong. But honest self examination and an open mind are often considered to be weakness and lack of commitment -- and not only in religion.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed that article. And I agree with rugcat - he seems to be an example of what's right, and it's an attitude worth emulating no matter what religion.

I am so sending this link to my grandmother. :)

eveningstar

circus girl without a safety net
Registered
Reaction score
It is a thoughtful article. Thank you for the link.

I live in Salem, just moved here recently. It is strangely wonderful, indeed.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Good article, well writen. In my town, Pagans are members of the United Council of Churches, but I think that attracts more mainstream Christians than Penticostals. I wish there were more of this, not just with Pagans and Christians but with all religious paths and even atheists. Thanks for posting.

NOTE:
Plain Truth Magazine is part of the Worldwide Church of God. This group is an odd Christian group, once controlled by George W. Armstrong until he was banished a dozen or so years ago (I'm not sure about the timeline).

I remember back in the 1970s listening to their national radio broadcasts with fascination. Their preaching had a very cult like kind of feel, kinda scary. I can still hear George W (oh, my) Armstrong's unusual voice. "The World Tomorrow" focused a lot on the end times. They didn't seem so benign back then. I wonder what happened. What made them OK with this liberal view?

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Roger, I loved this article enough to read it twice. I am a huge fan of tolerance. This article is one of the most tolerant I've ever read, especially considering that it was written by a Pentecostal minister.

Thanks so much for sharing this.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Great article, Roger. I'm especially interested in reading the WSJ article that told his story of being removed from the denomination. I'm going to see if I can dig it up.

This is a really lovely perspective from the inside out. I really enjoyed his thoughts.

Last edited:

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
It's good to be reassured that not only are there people like that, but that they're willing to stand up to the podium and tell it to the world. A lot of the Christians in this area either don't know what Paganism is, or (and I don't know how many times I've had this told to me) they believe that "Pagan" means "strayed from the path of god, soon to be banished to the deepest, darkest depths of hell, and Satanic". I have a lot of respect for the person who wrote that article, because they realize that they don't have to accept our beliefs in any way just to keep the peace.

flutecrafter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ancientcrossroads.org
Thanks again Roger,

I've known Phil since, I think it was '95 or '96

That article brings back memories both of my visits to Salem, and of what
happened to Phil and the Gathering at that 'inquisition' from his former
denomination.

He is a good man and a credit to our Lord as a shepherd looking to help
people to know Jesus.

(and I say that as an Indy Fundy Bapticostal)

ttyl,
Mark