What Has Your Most Significant Piece of Writing Been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
This is inspired by the "How Significant is Your Writing" thread. Thinking of individual works, do you think you actually HAVE written something significant? What is it, and why is it significant?

For me, the one piece that qualifies isn't even published yet, although it made it through the first round and is being held for a slot. It's not a self-help or animal care piece, even though those are my bread and butter. It's just a silly little poem.

When I was young, one of my few good memories is of my mother reading to me. We had all the Dr. Suess books plus lots of other kid lit, and there were magazines like Highlights and Humpty Dumpty all over my room. My mom had a strong belief in reading to kids so she'd actually spend time with me reading stories. Humpty Dumpty was a special favorite because it had interactive activities like mazes and "which one is different." There were also certain stories and poems that really touched me. I especially remember one about Halloween that I loved and wanted to hear over and over.

I am neither a poet nor a kids' writer, but one day I forced myself out of my comfort zone as an exercise, whipped off a silly little poem, and sent it to Humpty Dumpty. Amazingly, I got a reply that they are interested and holding it till there is space, since they are overstocked. I was shocked! If it does see the light of day in their pages, I will consider it my most significant work to date. I just love the image of little ones being read to by their parents just as my mom read to me, and maybe even wanting to hear it over and over again like I loved that Halloween poem. It's just a really neat mental picture for me.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I almost wanted to say my first novel since it was my first completed novel and it got published. But I'll have to say it's my WIP.

I'm writing it for my father.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The one that I'm writing now.

Sorry to sort of echo Ray here, but I'm writing this one for my son.

Man, that makes me want to cry a little, seeing it written down like that. But it's true.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
The Rebirth since it was the first novel I completed and tried to get published. It will always hold a special place in my heart. The funny thing is, I like the story even still. I see so many people saying that they hate their first novel because of all the novice mistakes. Honestly, I love the book and feel no hatred towards it. Who knows, maybe one day I'll fix those first timer mistakes and send it out again.:)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Whichever one I'm working on at the moment.

Although I write genre fiction, I'm pretty serious about embedding serious themes. Sooo...at the moment, it would be Terella. Once it's done, it'll be whatever I write next.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I like to think my first book (in the avatar) is my most significant because it was a first of its kind. Until my book came out there was nothing exhaustive published about the the subject. Most of what was known was in periodic newspaper articles, but there was never anything comprehensive. I set out to write that comprehensive book and uncovered facts that nobody had ever known. And I tried to write the book using "everyman" language versus the stuffiness I found in many university press books.

Publishers weren't interested because of the narrow topic (but the subject holds national appeal) until I tried Arcadia. The second thing that makes it significant is that my book was one of the first Arcadia books in my area, and its publishing opened the gates for more local authors to write regional history. I was even told by another local author once that it was because of my first book, and something I once told him, that inspired him to write a book himself.

allen

nybx4life

Registered
Reaction score
I guess my most significant writing is my current WIP.
I think it's because, to me, it's a first that I've seen of it's kind: a story featuring a person with super powers, that actually lives in the Bronx, instead of Manhattan.

Of course, that might not be that great, but hopefully I'll let it shine better

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The unwritten novel I am saving for the 2008 Muskoka Novel Marathon. I am writing it from start to finish in my head, reliving it every day. It's a novel I'm 'writing' for my grandmother. The main character is an 82 year-old woman who is wise and magical and otherworldly. it is my most significant to date, even though it is unwritten.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
inkkognito, you might have found your niche then.
I wish! I'm much too much of a wimp to get into a field as competitive as children's writing (let alone poetry). I stay in my nice, safe non-fiction niche where the competition isn't nearly as great. But oddly enough, I think getting that one poem published will give me enough fulfillment...well, that and eventually placing one of the two mystery shorts I've been shopping around. Other than that, I'm pretty content with my non-fiction even tho' it's not as close to my heart as fiction would be.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Well, I already said that a little kids' book I wrote when I was a teenager made a pregnant woman decide to have her baby instead of abort, so for me that is the most important thing I've ever written.

Something else I wrote when I was about 12... when Christopher Reeve had his accident, I wrote a letter to him. It eventually got published in "Care Packages," put together by Dana a few years later. They really had to track me down to get permission (I've told this story elsewhere), but apparently my letter in particular was really special to her. So I just think, if something I wrote helped some people get through hard times, that is significant.

Another thing was just a letter to a friend. She was the victim of an attempted rape and she had some major issues afterwards, blaming herself for what had happened (even though it was a complete stranger who broke into her house). One night I just felt really, really pressed that she needed to be rid of this burden so I sat down with the bible and wrote out this long, long letter about how this was not God punishing her, but God choosing her-- like Job-- because He knew she was strong. I read it to her out loud and then gave it to her, and later she told me that was the thing that really helped her move on and stop blaming herself. So I think that was more God than me, but it is also the power of the written word. I don't really take any credit for it.

I just think, I suck at relating to people face to face, but God has given me the gift of expressing myself in writing. So I try to use that whenever I can, to lift people up and encourage them.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Most significant (and hardest) for me was the query letter that landed me my agent.

JJ

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
My "first" novel, the one that makes me want to write. It is in my head, waiting, simmering for a time that my ability can match the subject and my personal connection to the story. It really is my first novel, the first book I ever wanted to write, although it will probably be something like the 20th to be put on paper. It has gained an almost supernatural muse like power for me too.

aonarach

Not all who wander are lost
Registered
Reaction score
i wrote a book and it won an award. i had to do a mini tour with it, reading it to classrooms around the state. it was then i realized this is what i want to do forever (the writing, not the speaking). the book was called the lonely bear. i was in 1st grade.

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
The most significant to me must be either my first novel (unpublished) - where I found out that I could write, or my current WIP. The most significant to other people?? Pass. I don't think I've written anything significant to other people... not yet.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I wrote the first 5,000 words of a story when I was 17 and left it unfinished for four years. Once I dug it out and rewrote it complete with ending, I realised I had something with a lot of potential. That story has lead to two of my books with probably another three to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.