PDA

View Full Version : Daily jewish rituals

Zoombie
05-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Are there any daily rituals that Jewish people do? And which ones are the most likely to be slacked off on by a 17 year old plunged into very unusual circumstances?

Cuase in my story, a Jewish teenager falls into another world (literally falls: He rolls out of bed and hits the floor of a fantasy style inn)...what do you think he would follow? He's not a secular Jew, but he's not an Orthodox one. You know...just a regular one.

Thanks for anyone who decides to help ^_^

HeronW
05-06-2008, 01:07 PM
http://i-cias.com/e.o/judaism.htm

should help

If the person is religious, they would pray 3x a day. One may or may not keep kosher--not eating dairy products with meat products at the same meal, if they are strict they wouldn't eat or shop at a non-kosher store. They may or may not wear a kipa when they get out of bed, they may or may not wear the talith--that woven girdle with the tassles hanging down. On the Sabbath, a religious person will do no work--eating cold meals since cooking is work, etc.

dirtsider
05-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Under the Religion/Spiritual Writing section here at AW, there's a Jewish section. You might find some interesting discussions there.

StephanieFox
05-06-2008, 08:36 PM
A kipa is the little hat that Jewish males wear, but the requirment is only that the head be covered, especially when eating or praying. Any hat (like a baseball cap) will do.

The dietary laws are long and complicated. Many Jews keep some of these laws, but not all of them. If you are very strict, you'd eat meat bought at a kosher butcher or certified kosher, which mneans that the animal was killed in a perscribed manner (no hunting) and the blood had been drained from the body. There are restrictions on the kinds of animals that can be eaten; fish with scales and fins only, no carion eaters, no animals with paws (rabbits), no shellfish, no pigs, camels, etc. Beef, chicken (most birds are ok), goat are all ok.

In addition, not only should meat and milk not be eaten together (at the same meal) the very orthodox will not even let meat and milk on the same plate, which means two sets of dishes. Very rich and very orthodox Jews will have two kitchens.

The popular idea is that this is done for health reasons, but that is incorrect. This is something that relates to spiritual purity. The pork/tricinosis story is probably incorrect. Since this disease takes from 2 days to 2 weeks to effect people, and the ancient folks knew only two diseases (fever and not-fever), they wouldn't have connected the transmission.

What's more likely is that these decisions were economic. Pigs are a jungle or forest animal and it would take too many resources to raise a pig. In addition, nearby tribes used to sacrifice pigs in their rituals, and the Hebrews didn't want anyone to think that they were doing that.

As I mentioned, Jews keep various laws and consider others outdated. I don't follow any. My husband won't eat pork or rabbit, shark or catfish (no scales) but will eat seafood, saying, "It's not a fish."

My husband's uncle is orthodox, but he will 'eat out', that is, eat at restaurants where they don't have a kosher kitchen. He won't eat non-kosher meat, though, and will order eggs or cheese or fish.

That said, the main law is that any other law can be broken to save a life. So if there are no choices but eat non-kosher or starve, there is no problem with eating non-kosher.

Zoombie
05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks all!

I'm thinking he will pray once or twice while not running for his life...

He's gonna have a hard time with dietary laws, as most things in this world have only a vague relation to things like poultry, pork and fish...

Also, hopefully no one will notice my avatar is a character wearing a Hitler Youth uniform <shifty glance left, shifty glance right>

Gray Rose
05-07-2008, 09:32 AM
What Heron and Stephanie said. Note that prayer is not as central to the Jewish experience as the other rituals mentioned, especially Shabbat and kashrus observance, and the laws against intermarriage and fraternizing with non-Jews. A 17 yo will slack in prayer first, then in kosher food (after all, he has to eat something). If fantasy meats are eaten, they are not kosher by definition (unless you are talking about fantasy fish that have scales, etc).
Many of us survived keeping kosher in the wilderness. It takes some getting used to but it is very doable. It all depends on the person's dedication.
Vegetables should be available in your world.

Just an example of non-orthodox observance. I will eat out but I will not touch ANY meat which is not properly slaughtered. I will eat kosher fish out (salmon, tuna, most white fishes) but not the non-kosher fishes or seafood. I will eat all kinds of vegetables and cheeses. This level of observance is not orthodox, but it is actually pretty standard among US Jews.
Observances vary. My very good friend will eat shrimp but will not eat pork. During Passover she will only eat kosher for passover foods, i.e. only matzah and no bread, pasta, etc.
Jews who are not observant or less observant tend nevertheless to have some kind of fairly strict observance during Passover and the High Holy Days - the Jewish New Year and Yom Kippur.

May I ask you why you chose to draw our attention to the fact that your avatar is wearing a Nazi uniform?

Cheers,
Rose