Gaining Credibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virector

The only one
Registered
Reaction score
I was made to understand that publishers feel more comfortable accepting manuscripts from first time authors who have a bit of credit to their name, i.e. authors who have some kind of literary recognition. I do not know how far true this is, but I just wanted to know- What are some ways for me to build up credibility for myself as a writer, so that when I do step foward with a manuscript, they can say "oh, so you've actually blah blah blahed... I see. That's very good"... That kind of thing. I'm sorry if this comes across as a stupid question. I just wanted to find out if you need any sort of credit to get published- I am slaving away on my first book now, and I would like to know if it won't get published because I've got no recognition. Thanks.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
You really don't. I mean it certainly doesn't hurt, but I for one had never been published in anything before when I got my agent etc. Just make sure your book is totally awesome!

nybx4life

Registered
Reaction score
No, but don't make yourself seem like an idiot.
I mean, you don't need credibility.

Because if you did, I doubt there'd be as much authors out now as there would be.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
This seems to be more important on the non-fiction side than fiction. For non-fiction, I'm busily selling articles to magazines on topics that I plan to write books about. For a work of fiction, any short pieces you'd be selling would most likely be quite different than your book, plus there's such a limited market that a lack of sales wouldn't necessarily be a poor reflection on your skill.

nybx4life

Registered
Reaction score
This seems to be more important on the non-fiction side than fiction. For non-fiction, I'm busily selling articles to magazines on topics that I plan to write books about. For a work of fiction, any short pieces you'd be selling would most likely be quite different than your book, plus there's such a limited market that a lack of sales wouldn't necessarily be a poor reflection on your skill.

That is true.
You can't be writing a historical account on Rome if you haven't at least had a college course on it, possibly majoring in ancient history.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Credibility may get you read faster, but at the end, it's the quality of the work that counts.

Yep. Especially for fiction...the credibility you speak of is generally in the form of publishing credits, and agents* seem to consider those icing on the cake. In the end, it doesn't matter whether you've been published in XYZ literary magazines, but that the manuscript you are presenting is up to snuff.

You can spend a couple months writing, polishing, and submitting short stories to get yourself some street cred, but in the end it's probably more fruitful to spend those months writing, polishing, and submitting your novel (to AGENTS).

*You seem to be skipping a big step in a lot of your posts: the agent. You don't sell your novel-length work to an editor, not unless you've queried every agent on earth. The agent is who must find your work acceptable first, and once you sign with one, they will sell your novel to editors.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
At the query stage, it is the concept of your book and the way you present it that will lead to the next step. If an agent requests pages, the writing will sell the novel.

However, agents are as impressionable as any of us. There are three things that might influence an agent to request pages even if the query is not exactly what they're looking for: 1) major short story credits, 2) top-notch MFA program, and 3) recommendation from a writer they know. And yes, I suppose you could say these things lend "credibility" that the writer can write (or at least is dedicated to his/her writing). In essence, that writer has been pre-screened by other folks who presumably share the agent's interest in good writing.

So, yes, there are things that can help you hurdle the query hump. But as has been noted, scads of writers get there without having anything but a darn good manuscript to peddle.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
You can write short stories, but getting them published in the magazines that will perk up an agent's ears is about as hard as getting a book published, I find. So write shorts if you like them, but don't expect them to net you easy credentials.

Other credentials would vary with the book you're marketing. Say your book is about space travel, and you've studied astrophysics, or you've worked for NASA, or you're an astronaut. Those would be impressive creds for the space novel, but would mean zip if your novel were a Regency romance.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
It is possible to land a great agent and a great publisher without having published anything before. As mentioned, it's the writing you're submitting that counts (including queries and/or proposals).

JJ

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
At the query stage, it is the concept of your book and the way you present it that will lead to the next step. If an agent requests pages, the writing will sell the novel.

However, agents are as impressionable as any of us. There are three things that might influence an agent to request pages even if the query is not exactly what they're looking for: 1) major short story credits, 2) top-notch MFA program, and 3) recommendation from a writer they know. And yes, I suppose you could say these things lend "credibility" that the writer can write (or at least is dedicated to his/her writing). In essence, that writer has been pre-screened by other folks who presumably share the agent's interest in good writing.

So, yes, there are things that can help you hurdle the query hump. But as has been noted, scads of writers get there without having anything but a darn good manuscript to peddle.

Mike is right. These are the things you can do. They will help get your foot in the door.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
Virector:

One of the things that you have not yet mentioned is your country. If you are not working to sell in the US or UK market, then some of the information that people are giving you here may not apply.

Second, if you are slaving away on your manuscript, I suggest you join a group of writers working on similar projects and start exchanging critiques. Your first goal needs to be to make that manuscript as good as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.