PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh... here we go...

alanna
05-06-2008, 05:57 AM
So, I have an opportunity this summer to work 20 hours a week, be able to just meet all of my expenses, and devote the rest of my time (including but not limited to 3 9-5 days a week) to my writing career. I'm a little bit scared... and very excited.

Here's hoping this summer goes well. Now, I just have to convince myself not to back out. I won't have a safety net of cash "just in case," which is kind of freaking me out. But, really, how often does an opportunity like this come along?

I'm not crazy to do this... right? (::squee!::)

dgiharris
05-06-2008, 06:16 AM
I wish you the best. The only piece of advice i'd like to give you is to develop the habits that you will need NOW.

It is a mistake in human behavior to think that a situation will 'force you' to do something. Humans are all about habit, so try to develop the habits that you will need as soon as possible and be forever cognizant that habits determine our actions.

takes about 18 times (occurrences) to create a habit.

anyways,
Good luck god speed, may the force be with you, and all the best

Mel...

alanna
05-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Oh, I'm not creating new habits... I'm just increasing the time I have to spend on writing. I already eke out 2-3 hours a day for writing/editing/submitting, but it's in 20-minute chunks between tasks. This summer, I'm devoting entire days to what I already spend all my free time doing... and I'm honestly curious to see the results. Scared silly, but curious. :)

steveg144
05-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Do it. Please. When you're young and an opportunity like this comes along, sure you're scared, but just do it. The only thing to fear is that you'll have this enormous gulf of writerly "free time" with no writing projects to fill the time with, but you don't seem like that type. Make a short list of projects you want to work on during this wonderful period, and just go for it and be productive. PS: I'm beyond green with envy. :tongue

James81
05-07-2008, 06:00 PM
I agree, this is a great time to focus on developing the habit of making your writing habitual (if that makes any sense).

One thing that I learned last month, though, was that no matter HOW much time you have, so long as you keep doing SOMETHING it will be progress. Don't underestimate those little blocks of writing time where you only type 500 words. Over time they add up in a big way.

Think about this. If you managed to write 500 words per day (come on, is that REALLY that much?), in 100 days (or 3 months) you will have 50,000 words. In 6 months you will have 100,000 words. In one year, that's almost 200,000 words (365 days x 500 words per day = 182,500 words to be exact).

That's about 2 novels. And just how long does it take to write 500 words? Even if you only type 30 words per minute, that's only 16 minutes of your time. Maybe give or take some time to THINK about it, but even then you wouldn't have more than a half an hour per day in doing this.

Something for you to think about. It's the LITTLE things that you do in life that add up in a big way. This priniciple extends into EVERYTHING you do (first thing that comes to mind is finances).

Surely you can spare a half an hour a day to write. NOBODY is THAT strapped for time that they can't find a half an hour if they truly wanted to. If you ARE that strapped for time, then I suggest it's time to simplify your life a bit. :D

Anyways, but I understand what you want to do. I've been working frantically myself to figure out ways to cut my expenses to the bare minimum as much as I possibly can to get myself down to a point where I could quit this wretched day job I have and only have to work part time so that I can focus on my writing more. So, I say it's great. If you've got this opportunity, sieze it with everything you have.

And remember what I told you about how far you can go with just a half an hour a day. Now imagine if you doubled that or tripled it how far you could go.

James81
05-07-2008, 06:02 PM
And just for shits and giggles, I just copied that last post over into Word to get a word count on it.

My last post was 391 words. It's long for a POST, but for a block of writing in a novel? I'm almost to the 500 mark with that post and it took me about 5 minutes to type.

Little things...little things.

gerrydodge
05-07-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't think you're crazy at all! I think you are making a committment to something you truly love and that will just press you on to work harder. I think you're very brave and I'm glad for you!

alanna
05-08-2008, 05:01 AM
Thanks everyone for all the very kind words... I've been getting many lectures on how I should get something for "even just one or two more days a week" to allow me to save this summer and provide a money cushion, so it's really helpful to know I have some moral support out there. :) ::group hug::

astonwest
05-08-2008, 05:22 AM
I'd recommend the money cushion, just because it's easier to concentrate on writing when you're not having to worry about other things...

But what do I know?

Susie
05-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Bet you'll do great!