PDA

View Full Version : What did you have for dinner?

Sarita
05-06-2008, 04:32 AM
I had Kale with Pasta. I need to come up with names for my dishes. I generally don't cook from a cookbook, since I end up changing everything anyway.

Anyway, I thought it might be nice for us to feed off each other with recipe and meal ideas. I'm sure we all get into a rut with cooking now and then.

So, here was dinner for 2 1/2:

1/2 box of enriched Omega-3 pasta
1/2 lb Kale, chopped
2 onions, sliced
8 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 tbsps olive olive
2 tbsps butter
2 tbsps flour
Crushed red pepper flakes
Salt/Pepper to taste
About 2 C of the pasta water reserved after cooking pasta

Make it! Oh, um, cook pasta to package directions in well salted water. Saute the onions, some salt, and crushed red pepper in olive oil over medium low until onions are translucent. Add garlic. Throw in butter, melt. Stir in flour. When pasta is almost done, add kale (about 1 minute.) Reserve about 2 cups of the pasta water and drain the rest off. Add water to the onion/flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time until desired consistency when it looks like a cream sauce, maybe a bit thinner.) Taste for seasoning and add more salt, pepper, or crushed red pepper now. Bring to a boil, then add pasta and kale. Toss to serve.

This is a really rustic dish and it cooks in about 20 minutes, tops. If you're a meat eater, you can add a nice spicy sausage or some thick cut bacon. If you prefer a non-spicy version, cut the red pepper. Enjoy!

Tell me what you had for dinner!

Stew21
05-06-2008, 04:41 AM
Garlic chicken breast, mac and cheese and corn.

nothing exciting, but enough food groups for the kiddos and something they would eat.

:)

that's what cooking on a weekday is like in my house.

A.M. Wildman
05-06-2008, 04:43 AM
Nothing fancy here. Some fish I had in the freezer, fresh canned beets and some fresh asparagus with a dab of butter.

Sarita
05-06-2008, 04:44 AM
I could live on beets for the rest of my days. And my little wee ones are poking their heads out of the dirt in the garden. I'm so excited for fresh beets!!!

Trish, that sounds great to me!

Siddow
05-06-2008, 04:47 AM
Yeah, I'm with Stew. We had pre-seasoned pork loin, hopping john, mixed greens, and mac n cheese, all of it from boxes, cans or plasti-wrap.

I'm in my you-don't appreciate-my-cooking mode. So, I don't really cook. I simple 'heat and serve'. I cooked last week, dammit. For SIX! *dies*

Stew21
05-06-2008, 04:48 AM
I've gotten so much asparagus this spring, I have started blanching and freezing it. My mother used to fix beets for us on a regular basis. I have to admit, I haven't had them in a very long time, but it sounds good. Just seeing you mention them makes me crave them.

A.M. Wildman
05-06-2008, 04:49 AM
I could live on beets for the rest of my days. And my little wee ones are poking their heads out of the dirt in the garden. I'm so excited for fresh beets!!!

Trish, that sounds great to me!

When I was a kid we had a cellar in the basement where mom kept all her canned goods. Since my room was down there I'd go in and get beets or pickled eggs or something like that for a snack if I was up late. :)

sunna
05-06-2008, 04:49 AM
Oooh, I'm trying that one later in the week. That sounds good. And I never think to include kale in my cooking...

I had a veggie/pasta dish too:

3 broccoli crowns, cut into florets
1 bunch of asparagus, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 red pepper, diced
8 baby 'bella mushrooms, diced
1/2 box penne (the Barilla Plus is very good!)
1 tbsp garlic olive oil
1/4 cup mozzarella
1/4 cup shredded asiago
1 cup vodka sauce
ground black pepper to taste

steam the veggies until soft, boil the penne until al dente. drain the pasta and mix it all together, stirring until the cheese is evenly distributed. Makes enough for 2 people with some left over. If you want a more pasta-bake-y version, sprinkle some parmesan over the top and bake for about 20 minutes, but really, it's good either way.

soleary
05-06-2008, 04:50 AM
For dinner, edamame and sea salted bread. For lunch, I had steak and eggs. All good!

slcboston
05-06-2008, 04:50 AM
I had a really simple vegetarian (well, more or less) lasagna for dinner. Lots of cheese, and a veggie, of course. :)

Gary
05-06-2008, 04:55 AM
Grilled zuchini, yellow squash, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, peppers, small red potatoes, and beef tenderloin nuggets, with homemade garlic bread. Dessert will be a low-fat, reduced-calorie oatmeal cookie with a Weightwatchers fudge bar.

Little Red Barn
05-06-2008, 05:38 AM
sauteed two sliced--chopped (whatever I just cut up), and threw in an olive oiled skillet yellow sqash, zucchini, and yellow and red peppers, fresh portabella mushrooms threw in chunks of salmon, (prepackaged) spiced it all with a little basil, n' lemon pepper. served on tortillas with sour cream and salsa on side. Easy... n' Good for you.

L M Ashton
05-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Fahim's really sick and I'm a little sick, so it's soup for us. Onions, browned, then add carrots, beans, and leftover chicken along with enough boiling water to fill the pot. Salt and pepper, chicken boullion cubes, and boil for an hour. Not rocket science, but great for a cold. :)

czjaba
05-06-2008, 06:27 AM
I had baked ziti. Ziti noodles, spaghetti sauce mixed together in a baking pan with riccota cheese on top. quick and easy. (For me, of course it was. Hubby cooked it.) :D

paprikapink
05-06-2008, 07:04 AM
I hosted a surprise party today! Since her birthday was in February, boy was she surprised! And I went totally Lazy-o-Matic for my menu: Chex mix, BBQ chips, root beer, frozen veggie lasagne from Trader Joe's (made with whole grain noodles at least), pre-made salad with those mozzarella balls, and cheesecake with ten candles.

Bravo
05-06-2008, 07:09 AM
roasted kittens with a side of eggplant.

Bmwhtly
05-06-2008, 11:41 AM
I started making bolognese last night before I realised I didn't have any pasta.

So I had Rice Bolognese. I think I'll have it again :)

samgail
05-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Spaghetti carbonara, our Monday night quick fix, and cauliflower.

HeronW
05-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Did a chicken in a cooking bag with 1/2c of wine, 1/2 an orange, sprinkle some paprika and some salt and it fell apart.
Cous-cous--the medium size instant, added a spoon of chicken soup powder for flavor and that's ready in 5 min, corn on the cob & the first melons are out! Yum!

drachin8
05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Cajun-fried catfish (aka, marinate catfish a half hour in tabasco/egg mixture, then add cajun spice to the cornmeal mixture and the homemade tartar sauce), roasted potatoes, and steamed green beans.

Fried fish isn't super healthy, but my dearest other requested it all special-like.

-Michelle

Woof
05-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Last night I prepared a tasty Pad Thai with chicken & shrimp, loosely based on a recipe from The Joy of Cooking. I added a few of my own touches including a spicier peanut sauce - and lots more of it. You can't have enough peanut sauce, as far as I'm concerned. When I die, I want my coffin filled with the stuff.

Shadow_Ferret
05-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Um.
We ate out at a chinese buffet.

mscelina
05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Ed, you restore my faith in the universe. :)

We ordered pizza.

katiemac
05-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Last night I prepared a tasty Pad Thai with chicken & shrimp, loosely based on a recipe from The Joy of Cooking. I added a few of my own touches including a spicier peanut sauce - and lots more of it. You can't have enough peanut sauce, as far as I'm concerned. When I die, I want my coffin filled with the stuff.

What's your recipe for peanut sauce? I love pad thai but the sauce recipes I've found contain ingredients I'd never buy except to make it.

SPMiller
05-07-2008, 12:44 AM
I made spaghetti last night, but that doesn't compare to the red pear I just took out of the fridge. Mmm.

CheriVixen
05-07-2008, 02:30 AM
Yesterday was chicken fajitas with sauteed peppers and guacamole. Tonight was tex mex soup with the leftover chicken, chicken broth, canned corn, stewed tomatoes, and tortilla chips broken in the bottom of the bowl. Shredded cheese all melty on top. Slurping up the goodness.

johnnysannie
05-07-2008, 02:51 AM
Tonight's dinner was roast beef (eye of round) with red potatoes (in the crockpot) with a lettuce salad with Roma tomatoes and apple pie for dessert.

It was the last of the FFA apples I bought around the holidays; had to use them or they would have been brown mush within a week!

nybx4life
05-07-2008, 02:55 AM
Well yesterday, I had yellow rice with veggies in it (string beans, diced carrots, small corn kernels), with chicken bought from a restaurant.
I guess it's grilled chicken.

I'm not that good in Spanish; my parents call it pollo asado

BenPanced
05-07-2008, 04:26 AM
Tonight: a bowl of Cocoa Pebbles.

What? If it's supposed to be good enough to have in the morning, it's certainly good enough to have at night.

TerzaRima
05-07-2008, 05:41 AM
Pasta marinara with a little aged parmesan cheese grated over it. Fresh herb salad tossed in walnut oil with goat cheese crumbles. Roasted asparagus dressed with a little balsamic vinegar. Mmm.

Bubastes
05-07-2008, 06:16 AM
Super simple: poached salmon with Trader Joe's wasabi mayo, raw veggies dipped in homemade miso-ginger dressing, glass of pinot noir.

rhymegirl
05-07-2008, 06:40 AM
Tonight: a bowl of Cocoa Pebbles.

What? If it's supposed to be good enough to have in the morning, it's certainly good enough to have at night.

Oh God! Thank you for the laugh! I really needed a good laugh today. :)

Snowstorm
05-07-2008, 07:38 AM
I had a home-made pizza with a crust of real sourdough: flour, water, and salt only. Veggies of tomato chunks and onions, and a healthy dose of mozzerella cheese. Baked on a pizza stone. Yummy!

paprikapink
05-07-2008, 07:43 AM
We got some good dinner-eaters on this board. And I'm including Cocoa-Pops in that assessment.

We had homemade burritos which included Rosarita's Traditional Refried Beans, grated Costco Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Ortega Diced Chilis, TJs Sliced Black Olives, TJs Salsa, Full-fat Yogurt (instead of sour cream), and Mom's (meaning me) Red Rice: olive oil, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, tomato paste, Better Than Bouillion Chicken Broth Making Stuff, rice, hot water, and a can of diced tomatoes drained.

I guess "homemade" is a relative term. :)

Williebee
05-07-2008, 08:27 AM
OK, first you have to know that my wife doesn't eat meat. So, I usually cook starting with something that can go both ways. For example, tonite was a garlic parsley angel hair pasta base.

Grilled chicken for me, carved into strips and dropped on the pasta with some parmesan cheese and green onion.

Grilled garlic/butter shrimp for her, after I tossed her pasta with sauteed chopped spinach, green onion and sliced grape tomatos.

I'm like Sara, I don't really cook with recipes, but I'll try:

An hour before, or night before, season the chicken breast with garlic, sea salt, & pepper. (Or use one of the 30 min. marinades you can find in the store. I really like the mesquite lime stuff, with some pepper jack cheese.)

Heat the grill and oil it, then start the chicken cooking.
You'll have to figure out when to start the rest of the cooking, based upon how long it takes the chicken breast to get done. (Or cook the chicken and set it aside while you do the rest.)

2 smashed and minced garlic cloves, a table spoon of sea salt and 1/4 cup of chopped parsley in a large pot of water. A lot of water, the pasta has to have room to move. Get it boiling and let it boil for 10-15 min.

While boiling is going on--

Chop 1/4 cup fresh spinach,
Slice a handful of grape tomatos (or cube a small roma tomato)
Smash and mince another garlic clove (No, you can't have enough garlic. Want to make something of it?)
Slice a couple of green onions.
Get a handful of cooked medium shrimp ready (tails off, shelled, rinsed and patted dry.)
Dice 3 of the shrimp (fine).

Melt a couple tablespoons of butter (or whatever) over low/medium heat, in a small pan.
As soon as it reaches melted drop in the garlic, onion and the diced shrimp.

Drop the contents of 1 standard box of Angel hair pasta into the boiling water. Make sure you stir the pasta for at least 30 seconds after you get it all submerged. This, along with the large amount of water, keeps the pasta from sticking together.

Hit the garlic/onion/shrimp pan with a bit of extra virgin olive oil, maybe a tablespoon or so.

THIS IS IMPORTANT. Plan ahead. Check the pasta box. 3 minutes before the pasta is done, do this:

Get the pasta strainer ready for use.

Drop the rest of the shrimp into your pan. Keep the shrimp moving, shuffle or stir every minute or so. The shrimp is only going to take 2-3 minutes. Cook them too long and they get tough.

After the first minute or so drop the chopped spinach and any left over sliced green onion in to the pan. Stir.
As soon as the shrimp looks done, drop the tomato into the pan, stir it up (or toss it if your fancy) and take the pan off the heat.

Rinse the pasta. I usually put some water in the bottom of the pot and set the strainer, with the pasta in it, back on the now turned off stove eye. The water keeps the pot from burning and sends up some residual steam to keep the pasta warm while I chop/slice the chicken.

Slice the chicken breast.

Oh crap, I forgot the garlic bread. Break bread, spread with butter and shake some garlic salt over it, and toss it in the toaster oven to toast.

Plate the pasta in two bowls

Use a slotted spoon to spread the chunky parts of the shrimp/spinach/tomato mixture over her pasta. Then pour the liquid over the mix.

Spread the sliced chicken over my pasta, Hit it with some parmesan or pepper jack cheese.

Pull and place the toast on the side of the bowls and serve.

I'll usually prepare a side salad before I start cooking the meal.
If time is short I'll "Decant a salad" instead. (Decant. You know, crack open one of those bag-o-salads and "let it breath" while I'm cooking.)

Is it really healthy and good for you? Well, it's good for me.
It gets me kisses.

Bmwhtly
05-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Pasta with some chicken, sweetcorn and a creamish sauce. But it was cold, so I think it qualifies as pasta salad.

L M Ashton
05-07-2008, 04:11 PM
I had a home-made pizza with a crust of real sourdough: flour, water, and salt only. Veggies of tomato chunks and onions, and a healthy dose of mozzerella cheese. Baked on a pizza stone. Yummy!Hey, so I'm not the only sourdough person around here. Cool!

So, uh, you know, recipe? Please? Or shall I start a sourdough thread for sourdough recipes? I think I should start a thread for sourdough recipes. :)

Sarita
05-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Nice dishes, Peep! :)

We ate out last night. I had a salad. It wasn't that great. Remind me again why I didn't cook?

DragonHeart
05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Wow, you guys are making me hungry. I don't usually get an actual homemade meal for dinner anymore cause I work mostly evening shifts (3 or 4p.m. to 10, blah). Last night I had the peppers and mushrooms left over from Monday's steak, followed by vanilla yogurt. And water.

~DragonHeart~

Shadow_Ferret
05-07-2008, 06:06 PM
We had burgers on the grill and store bought fruit salad.

This is as fancy as we get.

Perks
05-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I breaded and pan-fried butterfly pork chops and let a thin glaze of apricot preserves soak into the crust while it was still very hot.

And we had a complicated side of onions, corn, black beans and peppers and every other bit of veggies that I had not enough to make a dish of.

It was all quite tasty.

Shadow_Ferret
05-09-2008, 05:46 PM
McDonald's

paprikapink
05-09-2008, 05:52 PM
In N Out.

And a tummy-ache.

L M Ashton
05-09-2008, 06:07 PM
We're still on soup and nothin' but the soup. We're still sick. Fahim thinks we have Chikunguniya. I dunno. I just know I wanna whine.

Ken
05-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Green eggs and ham.

Happy Silly Friday :D

ChimeraCreative
05-10-2008, 12:16 AM
He felt like having something not-so-good for us, so we did something like a sampler plate of appetizers. Chicken wings, waffle fries, jalapeno poppers, small chicken wrap, couple slices of pizza, nachos with chili cheese dip. He seemed happy. ^_^

tjwriter
05-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Last night we had homemade pizza.

Three packages of store bought crust mix. Go ahead and turn the oven on so the top of the stove starts to warm. Mix up the crust with water of the proper temp. (around 105 degrees), and spread a little seasoned canola oil on it. Wrap a dish towel around the bowl with crust mix and set on the warming oven. Let sit and rise for much longer than the package instructions recommend.

Cook the Italian sausage and chop the vegetables, which were onions and green peppers. Open, drain, and press the extra moisture from the canned mushrooms.

Break the crust dough in half for two pizzas. Grease the pans (cooking spray works fine) and spread the dough across the pans. Top with tomato sauce seasoned with garlic, basil, and oregeno. Put pepperonis, italian sausage, onions, green peppers and mushrooms on. Top with cheese and cook in the oven until the cheese is your desired color of brown. Let cool many minutes before slicing.

Enjoy. It tasted really wonderful last night.

Stew21
05-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I had a bacon, avocado, tomato sandwich. :)

soleary
05-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Lean Cuisine Philly Cheesesteak Flatbread sandwich. I am not dieting, just LAZY. I must say, I LOVE the taste of this new line of Leanies. OMG are they GOOD. Too much salt, but you can't have everything :)! I highly recommend 'em.

katiemac
05-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Last night we had homemade pizza.

Three packages of store bought crust mix. Go ahead and turn the oven on so the top of the stove starts to warm. Mix up the crust with water of the proper temp. (around 105 degrees), and spread a little seasoned canola oil on it. Wrap a dish towel around the bowl with crust mix and set on the warming oven. Let sit and rise for much longer than the package instructions recommend.

For a little twist, when the crust is almost done in the oven, layer a little olive oil on it and toss it on the grill. Grill one side, then turn it over and add your toppings. Let the cheese melt while the other side grills.

(For the record, I make mine with mozzarella, tomato, basil and grilled chicken. Usually no sauce.)

DWSTXS
05-11-2008, 01:37 AM
Friskies Shredded Turkey and Cheese dinner in gravy sauce

Seaclusion
05-11-2008, 01:58 AM
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. Tums for desert.

Richard

Shadow_Ferret
05-12-2008, 06:39 PM
2 homemade pizza. One with ground beef and italian sausage, black olives and half mushrooms, the other half cheese and half italian sausage, pepperoni and black olives.

BenPanced
05-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Pierogi stuffed with potato and mushrooms, and topped with sour cream and applesauce.

L M Ashton
05-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Pierogi! I miss pierogi! I'm going to have to start making my own pretty soon. So, if anyone has an excellent recipe... :D

Well, I finally cooked and we're back on solids. :tongue The husband had curried chicken, curried okra, and coconut curried plantain - all on rice, and I had the same chicken, but with sourdough bread and squash.

Sarita
05-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Mmmmmm, pierogies! *sigh* I miss good homemade pierogi. We had veggie soup last night. I'm fighting a cold and didn't really feel like cooking much.

Laurie, the key is the dough. Lots of work to get it to the right consistency, unless you have a pasta roller. A great recipe also helps. I'll see if I can dig up my babshi's for you.

Sara, having pasta roller envy.

L M Ashton
05-13-2008, 05:31 PM
We don't have a pasta roller, but hey, I'll still give a great recipe a try. :D

ChaosTitan
05-16-2008, 03:10 AM
Homemade chicken vegetable noodle soup with barley. :D Easiest soup in the world to just make up as you go along.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-16-2008, 03:18 AM
BLT on Sourdough bread. ;)

BenPanced
05-19-2008, 05:44 AM
Not quite an omelet, not quite scrambled eggs, but something delightfully in between with spinach, mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese.

Next: I'll add turkey.

Southern_girl29
05-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Tonight, we had a whole chicken cooked on the grill. We injected it with barbecue sauce and covered it, too. We also had baked potatoes and corn on the grill.

Last night, I made raspberry salmon,which meant I let the salmon marinate in Raspberry Viniagrette Dressing. I sprinkled a little chili powder on top, along with paprika. It didn't have as much flavor as I would like. I also made alfredo primavera pasta out of a package, and garlic butter green beans. I also made a cucumber salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, a Vidalia onion and Italian dressing.

Williebee
05-19-2008, 07:59 AM
mmm curried chicken. mmmmm raspberry salmon. good stuff.

Tonight I was cooking for two.

I made this pasta thing that I thought might work. (Man, that sounds lame. But it's true.)

Box of whole wheat linguine.
14.5 oz can of Hunts diced fire roasted tomatoes (drained).
Handful of fresh asparagus cut in half
1/4 of a large red bell pepper, diced
1 green onion, sliced thin
1/4 cup parsley, chopped fine.
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 tablespoons (or so) sweet basil pesto olive oil
A squirt of lemon juice
A handful of parmesan cheese. (NOT the powdered stuff in the green can.)

Prepped and cooked everything else while the pasta was cooking. Then steamed the veggies (all but the tomatoes and parsley.) The trick here is to add them to the steaming in stages. The asparagus was a little larger than pencil thickness, so it needs about five minutes. So, at about 3 minutes I added the red pepper and green onion to the steaming.

Drained the pasta, put it in a large bowl.
Dropped the parsley over it and drizzled with oil. Mixed it up to spread evenly.
Dropped the rest of the veggies in and mixed evenly.
Hit it with a little kosher salt and a little lemon squeeze.
Mixed again and plated.
Sprinkled a little parmesan over the concoction and poured the wine.
Done and done.

It was light. It was easy. It took about 10 min.
And DB (Darling Bride) has leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Bmwhtly
06-02-2008, 03:55 PM
I made possibly the best sausage'n'mash I've ever tasted.
Jersey Royal potatoes (mashed with butter and milk)
Gravy made with Aberdeen Angus sausages, stock and onions.

So filling, I may never need to eat again.

Marian Perera
06-02-2008, 04:03 PM
I made a chicken curry - marinated chicken breasts in yogurt with chili powder, cumin, turmeric, ginger, garlic and soy sauce. Then put them in a saucepan with chopped onions, chopped peppers, chopped tomatoes, a grated carrot, a grated potato, peas, sweetcorn and half a can of coconut milk. You don't need any other curries - this one combines them all. I could have added lentils or broccoli if I had any.

CatSlave
06-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Greek salad with romaine, black and green olives, tomatoes, cucumber, slivers of red onion, roasted red pepper strips, and feta cheese with a sprinkling of Cavender's Greek seasoning and dressed with Matsos's Greek salad dressing.

For dessert, a big bowl of Greek-style thick organic yogurt with fresh peaches, fresh raspberries, toasted almond slivers and honey. *I was inspired by the recent crepes thread.*

Tonight, pasta puttanesca with angel hair pasta: olive oil, plenty of garlic and anchovies, a bit of crushed red peppers, San Marzano tomatoes crushed by hand, a splash of red wine, black olives and capers, fresh basil.

Shadow_Ferret
06-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Grilled bratwurst patties.
Fried macaroni.
Saurkraut.

ACEnders
06-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Stuffed peppers in the slow cooker

slcboston
06-03-2008, 03:33 AM
chocolate milk and pizza :D

Cranky
06-03-2008, 03:45 AM
We had ranchbugers, homemade tortilla chips, and an improvised bean dip. Dip was (bottom layer up) refried beans, black olives, pico de gallo, seasoned ground beef, cheese, homemade gaucamole, sour cream, more cheese and black olives.

Yum. I iz stuffed.

Siddow
06-03-2008, 04:25 AM
Fajitas with all the same stuff as Cranky's bean dip. Must be Fiesta Night at the ole AW. :D

Stew21
06-03-2008, 04:28 AM
goulash

William Haskins
06-03-2008, 04:40 AM
just taking a break from cooking, actually. we're having cajun-fried catfish, black-eyed peas, fries and jalapeno hush puppies.

my cooking tip of the day: put some mashed potato flakes in your fish fry. crispy...

stormie
06-03-2008, 04:46 AM
I just made pasta with an extra virgin olive oil, three cloves of smashed chopped garlic, fresh chopped basil, pepper dressing. Guaranteed to keep away vampires. (And neighbors and friends....)

RLB
06-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Gnocchi, asparagus and shrimp tossed with homemade basil pesto. Yum.

Shadow_Ferret
06-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Chicken patties.
Spaghetti.
Garlic bread.
Marinara sauce.

StoryG27
06-03-2008, 06:35 PM
I had Chuck E Cheese.

BTW, I totally rock at skeeball!

Shadow_Ferret
06-03-2008, 06:40 PM
I had Chuck E Cheese.

BTW, I totally rock at skeeball!
Chuck E. Cheese would be a nice place if they got rid of the kids. The food ain't half bad.

StoryG27
06-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I actually like the pizza and the kids are very easy to shove out of the way.

JLCwrites
06-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Stir fry...
Onions, broccoli, red bell peppers sauteed in olive oil, sesame oil, and low-sodium soy sauce, with ground ginger, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and real maple syrup. Mix with cooked soba noodles, cashews and sesame seeds.

I would have written the recipe... but I was 'winging it' last night.

AndreaGS
06-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Paneer tikka masala over rice. My mom gave me some paneer she'd picked up, and it was about to reach its expiration date.

tjwriter
06-03-2008, 09:03 PM
I threw a bunch of seasonings on some ground beef, mixed it all up, and enjoyed some rather delicious hamburgers. Yum!

icerose
06-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Last night was a bit unusual, I had just pulled a fresh batch of cinnimon rolls and made the frosting when the power went out due to a storm. This delayed my preparation of supper by nearly an hour. So we sat in the dark munching on warm cinnimon rolls with frosting dripping down the side. Then once order was restored, I made chicken alfredo pizza. It was my first time and it turned out pretty good, my youngest (i.e. pickiest) ate four slices! I was shocked. It took her thirty minutes to try it, but once she did she devoured the pizza.

shawkins
06-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Last night I ate in yumsville. This looks sort of intimidating for a week night, but once you've done it a couple of times it's about 20m of active work. Mushroom stuffed pork tenderloin:

1 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
1 cup canned beef broth
1/2 cup ruby Port
2 teaspoons minced garlic
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
1/4 cup chopped shallots
8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped leek (white and pale green parts only)
1/2 cup whipping cream

2 1 1/4-pound pork tenderloins (from center or thick end), trimmed, each cut crosswise in half
2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram or 2 1/2 teaspoons dried

1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine both broths, Port and garlic in heavy small saucepan. Boil until sauce is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 20 minutes. Set aside. If you like your sauce a little salty, throw in ~1/2 tsp of that mushroom flavored Better Than Boullion stuff.

Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté until translucent, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and leek and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in cream. Cook mixture until vegetables are soft and most of cream is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Cool.

Insert handle of wooden spoon lengthwise into cut end of each tenderloin, forming 1/2- to 3/4-inch-diameter hole. Transfer mushroom mixture to pastry bag fitted with large plain tip. Force mixture into center of each tenderloin, filling hole completely. Rub tenderloins with marjoram. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add tenderloins to skillet and cook until brown on all sides, about 6 minutes total. Transfer skillet to oven. Roast tenderloins until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove skillet from oven. Transfer tenderloins to platter; tent with foil to keep warm. Return skillet to stove. Whisk in sauce. Bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Remove from heat. Whisk in 4 tablespoons butter.

Shadow_Ferret
06-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Frozen chicken kiev thingies.
Along with the left over spaghetti, marinara sauce, and garlic bread.