Victorian Dinner Party

eveningstar

circus girl without a safety net
Registered
Reaction score
I've done some research on this, but I thought I might try to solicit some input here as well.

My current WIP includes a rather extravagant dinner party, circa 1889. It is held in London, but the host is very well traveled and money is no object so the menu doesn't have to stick to one particular cuisine. French and Indian influences would be good. The fancier the better.

My genre is fantasy, though this particular dinner is more eccentric than magical. So although I don't think I absolutely need to stay Victorian appropriate, I'd like to include dishes that could conceivably be prepared in the era.

Any suggestions or additional resources appreciated!

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Find a copy of the Fanny Farmer Cookbook.

It was first published in the time period and is filled with recipes and dishes, some familiar, some not so much.

I'd have to dig out my copy to see but I'm thinking it even has menus for dinner parties, holidays, etc. in the back.

Melenka

Better is the enemy of done
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccakovar.com
Everyone should own the Fanny Farmer cookbook anyway. Some of the best recipes ever are in that book.

Don't forget smoked eel for dinner parties. It's quite the thing.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
"The Old Foodie" blog has some pretty astonishing menus from celebrations of that era.

I think the Belle Epoque equivalent of the turducken--the pheasant stuffed with a guinea hen stuffed with an ortolan stuffed with foie gras--is always kind of a mind-blower.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I have an old copy of Mrs Beeton's book of household management and she gives details of menus for dinner parties for the various seasons.
Mrs Beeton is now online at http://www.mrsbeeton.com/

Not that she would go for the really exotic but it is surprising what they served

eveningstar

Registered
Reaction score
Already off to a great start, thank you!

Find a copy of the Fanny Farmer Cookbook.

It was first published in the time period and is filled with recipes and dishes, some familiar, some not so much.

I'd have to dig out my copy to see but I'm thinking it even has menus for dinner parties, holidays, etc. in the back.

I found the 1918 version online and it does have sample menus. I'll see if I can find an earlier one somewhere as well.

"The Old Foodie" blog has some pretty astonishing menus from celebrations of that era.

I think the Belle Epoque equivalent of the turducken--the pheasant stuffed with a guinea hen stuffed with an ortolan stuffed with foie gras--is always kind of a mind-blower.

That is a mind-blower, and might be kind of perfect. And "The Old Foodie" blog is perfect, will definitely spend some time perusing. Thank you for the link!

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Historic houses that have been turned into museums are great for really seeing what the dinner party was like. I remember one in Australia laid out for (I think it was probably Edwardian, about 1900) dinner, and before then I'd never realised things like -- they ate bone marrow as a delicacy (there was a special implement), moustaches needed a special cup to keep them out of the way, there were spittoons (very elegant!). Other things (though not necessarily at dinner) include chairs designed to fit the ladies' fashion (so extra wide skirts need armless chairs). I know, not the recipes you asked for, but I couldn't resist. Museums can be really useful.

eveningstar

Registered
Reaction score
For more cookbooks, Michigan State University's Feeding America project.

I had a link to a nice historical menu database, but can't seem to find it now. Drat!

And that has a copy of the earlier Fanny Farmer, excellent! Thank you very much for the link.

Historic houses that have been turned into museums are great for really seeing what the dinner party was like. I remember one in Australia laid out for (I think it was probably Edwardian, about 1900) dinner, and before then I'd never realised things like -- they ate bone marrow as a delicacy (there was a special implement), moustaches needed a special cup to keep them out of the way, there were spittoons (very elegant!). Other things (though not necessarily at dinner) include chairs designed to fit the ladies' fashion (so extra wide skirts need armless chairs). I know, not the recipes you asked for, but I couldn't resist. Museums can be really useful.

Hee, I can always use another excuse to go museuming! Thank you for the info, too, anything to get me thinking is helpful, truly.

Though all this food research is making me hungry.

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
they ate bone marrow as a delicacy (there was a special implement)quote]

Bone marrow still is a delicacy. It got a mention in a James Bond book, can't recall which one. And friends of mine still have marrow spoons, (I've lost mine).

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
they ate bone marrow as a delicacy (there was a special implement)quote]

Bone marrow still is a delicacy. It got a mention in a James Bond book, can't recall which one. And friends of mine still have marrow spoons, (I've lost mine).

Bone marrow actually IS delicious; as a child, I loved to eat it spread on bread or a hot roll.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
There was a BBC reality show where a family had to live exactly as a Victorian family, with servants in a large country house. They went into extensive detail about all the proper ways to dress, eat, etc. from the upstairs down.

I wish I could remember the title, but maybe you can track down a DVD of it.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
This is a London party...

so Fanny Farmer, who is American, isn't appropriate.

Eliza Acton and Mrs Beeton are.

1889 is Victorian and I would seriously recommend you loan from Amazon the BBC DVDs 'The Victorian Kitchen and 'The Victorian Flower Garden'. These were part of an excellent series where a cook and gardener who had worked all their lives in Great Houses, learning from men and women trained in the Victorian era, reproduced the flowers, flower arrangements and food for a wedding and a dinner party. All the work was done in a Victorian kitchen and garden using Victorian equipment and tools.

If you are making a big thing about the dinner party and it's important to the novel then use Mrs Beeton to get napkins and table settings correct and then look at the DVDs and see how flowers were worn on dresses and in the hair, what went on the table and what the cook produced for a party.